Need new casting reel within a month, what to do?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need new casting reel within a month, what to do?

Post by bwjay » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:33 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:52 pm
bwjay wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:41 am
What do I do? Just buy another SLX and wait to see what ICAST holds? Considering I probably won't get any newly announced reels in time, I might as well buy a reel now and get some use out of it right? I just want something new and shiny and another SLX isn't any fun! But the SLX MGL is JDM only, the Chronarch and Metanium have a geary feeling, and I already have a Bantam... :-k
Icast is putting out the usual second fiddle products, so don't hold your breath.
There is a 19 Antares in the sale forum that you need to jump on if your seriously considering a reel. A steal at $425, if any one knows him, he keeps his reels impeccable. I've seen a bunch of pics of it, because I have been trying my darndest to make a trade for it..

Sell your jacked up Bantam if that's what you need to do for the extra bucks. If you do end up getting it, please don't hang a double hook frog from the nose piece. ](*,)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=81896
I would honestly seriously consider the Antares 2019, but it seems it is a right hand retrieve so not for me. I do like the look of the Antares, a lot actually, but even with JDM price, I'd be concerned about warranty/issues in shipping, and I am not sure I really neeeeed something so extravagant.

TahoeDust
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TahoeDust » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:42 pm

bwjay wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:14 am
bwjay wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:17 am
TahoeDust wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:55 pm
How do you feel about round reels? You can get a Conquest 101HG for under $400 from Digitaka. If you like the way the Bantam feels, you'll love a Conquest.
Those are basically for high torque applications like deep cranking and big swimbaits, right? I really like smaller reels that I can palm comfortably. I would be fine with a 70 sized spool probably but would prefer 150 if possible. Still, I think a Conquest is a little too big and doesn't really fit my use cases.
The 100 is tiny, or in your case, the 101
It does seem pretty small, wouldn't mind trying one but I prefer the narrower profile of typical non-round casting reels. I live in Minnesota, about as inland as it gets in North America, so I have no use for a reel typically sought after by (as far as I understand) saltwater anglers. I have read many good things though and would love to try one, I just don't think it's for me.
I really think it will surprise you with how well it palms and if the solid feeling of the Bantam is what you like, there is none better. Most people I know that have them never see the salt. I own most of high Shimano's high end reels...Antares, Metanium, Stella, etc...and the Conquest is as good as it gets. Beautifully engineered and built like a fine watch. If you buy a 101HG from Digitaka and you don't like it, I will buy it from you for what you paid. I have been thinking about scooping another Conquest up anyways.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:27 pm

Well I was in the neighborhood of Cabela's today so I went in and looked at the Chronarch MGL. Walked out with a 151XG. Got it spooled up with 40lb Super8SlickV2 and my oh my is it an uneven spooling, big hump in the middle. I used 10lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid for backing and it kept slipping on the spool initially so it didn't fill up perfectly evenly. I also used a San Diego Jam knot to secure the backing (recommended by Matt Allen) which made a somewhat large knot in the center, so that didn't help. I'm gonna go out and cast with it a bit and see if I can even it out a bit. It usually does in my experience. Or I might blow it up royally. We will see!

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:08 am

bwjay wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:27 pm
Well I was in the neighborhood of Cabela's today so I went in and looked at the Chronarch MGL. Walked out with a 151XG. Got it spooled up with 40lb Super8SlickV2 and my oh my is it an uneven spooling, big hump in the middle. I used 10lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid for backing and it kept slipping on the spool initially so it didn't fill up perfectly evenly. I also used a San Diego Jam knot to secure the backing (recommended by Matt Allen) which made a somewhat large knot in the center, so that didn't help. I'm gonna go out and cast with it a bit and see if I can even it out a bit. It usually does in my experience. Or I might blow it up royally. We will see!
Learn how to tie a arbor knot , on the spool.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 pm

johnD wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:08 am
bwjay wrote:
I was specifically informed to use a knot stronger than the Arbor knot, in case a fish actually takes me all the way down to the spool. I want a fish like that coming on shore! That is why I used the San Diego Jam knot, with the line threaded through the spool. It's pretty well secured to the spool. Maybe I wasn't clear when I said slipping. What happened was the line was not evenly spooling left to the right with the line guide, it was sliding to line up next to other line and then the line guide would eventually re-align it, and then it would slide again to the other side, until there was a full layer of line covering the spool. Kind of hard to describe. I was putting fair pressure on the line when reeling it on, with moderate spool tension. I'm not sure what the deal is. Could just be that Yo-Zuri Hybrid is a slippery copolymer and I would be better served with something else.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 am

Well, the Chronarch casts a mile, that's for sure. I threw a frog into the next state without backlashing so that was cool. I did manage to blow it up on the LAST cast of the night though, and it really was the last cast. I got cocky with the external drag and bumped it down to 1 (all 4 internal brakes on) and blew it up good, so bad I actually couldn't get it out, and I ALWAYS get it out with braid. It started digging into itself and I knew I was screwed. I cut some line and took about 25% off the spool. Was a little bummed but still pretty impressed with the casting distance, I think I just got sloppy and put too much effort into the cast.

However, as much as I like the look and performance (with only 2 hours on it), I can already feel what I think is a "geary" feeling. When reeling I can feel gear movement vibrating through the housing. It's not severe but it's pretty disappointing. I compared it to my Bantam and it's like night and day, though if I reel really slow I can just barely sense a similar feeling in the Bantam. Under normal use though it is not noticeable in the Bantam. I also don't know how much I like the lighter, more hollow feeling body. I had a fish on a frog and thought my reel was coming out of the reel seat so I tried to tighten it down, but I lost pressure and the fish got off. Turns out the reel seat was tight and there was no play in the seat, so...... I really don't know what the deal was there. But the reel felt a little fragile, even though I know I'm not going to break it from fighting a fish.

I think I am just going to return it and get another Bantam (151XG) which is only another $70... if I'm already spending $280, which is already somewhat high end, $350 doesn't sound so absurd. I know I love the feel of the Bantam and it balances my slightly tip heavy Helium3s better as well, so I might as well get another Bantam. It won't be as good at slinging light baits, I think, but I think I will still get an SLX XT when it comes out and maybe it will be a better light bait reel - I can wait anyway.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:08 am

bwjay wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:07 pm
johnD wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:08 am
bwjay wrote:
I was specifically informed to use a knot stronger than the Arbor knot, in case a fish actually takes me all the way down to the spool. I want a fish like that coming on shore! That is why I used the San Diego Jam knot, with the line threaded through the spool. It's pretty well secured to the spool. Maybe I wasn't clear when I said slipping. What happened was the line was not evenly spooling left to the right with the line guide, it was sliding to line up next to other line and then the line guide would eventually re-align it, and then it would slide again to the other side, until there was a full layer of line covering the spool. Kind of hard to describe. I was putting fair pressure on the line when reeling it on, with moderate spool tension. I'm not sure what the deal is. Could just be that Yo-Zuri Hybrid is a slippery copolymer and I would be better served with something else.
uni knot.