Shimano Citica,SLX or Casitas?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
therock
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Shimano Citica,SLX or Casitas?

Post by therock » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 am

Im newish to bass angling but cant decide the best OVERALL baitcaster reel to buy of the abovementioned.
I can get these reels within a similar price range.
Suggestions would be welcome

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Shimano Citica,SLX or Casitas?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 am

therock wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 am
Im newish to bass angling but cant decide the best OVERALL baitcaster reel to buy of the abovementioned.
First off, welcome to the forum. If you have a choice at similar cost, ALWAYS go with an aluminum frame reel. In this case, the SLX or Citica is clearly a better choice. Either reel would serve you well, though the SLX palms a little better than the Citica. Honestly, it comes down to whether you like the bolder color scheme of the SLX or the more understated silver of the Citica.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:11 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:35 am
therock wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 am
First off, welcome to the forum. If you have a choice at similar cost, ALWAYS go with an aluminum frame reel. In this case, the SLX or Citica is clearly a better choice. Either reel would serve you well, though the SLX palms a little better than the Citica. Honestly, it comes down to whether you like the bolder color scheme of the SLX or the more understated silver of the Citica.
This is great advice. The SLX is a great reel, and to me is very similar to the Curado 50E reels of the past. The Citica I is a great platform as well, and with that reel you will get more spool capacity for larger diameter lines, as well as a dual bearing supported pinion gear if that matters to you. The best thing IMO that Shimano did was introduce the SLX and get rid of the Casitas due to, like mentioned before, not having an aluminum frame for the $100 pricepoint. I personally have the SLX and the Citica I, so if I can be of any further help, I will do the best I can for you to help in your decision. Welcome to Tackle Tour.
<")))><{

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:28 pm

I have both the casitas and SLX. Hands down the SLX is the better reel for me. That thing feels flat out tiny on a rod.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:50 am

SLX hands down and if you can spend the xtra few $’s on the XT version, you will not regret it.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:13 am

My casitas MGL is probably the best casting reel I own.

That said I've been fishing quite a bit with my SLX and SLX DC lately and this platform is incredible. Saving some pennies to add an XT and possibly the MGL version as well.

therock
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by therock » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:13 am

Thanks for all the great advice...ive decided on the slx reel
I wanted to order the 7ft MH fast slx rod to match but my country only brings in the 7'2 MH X-fast model
I suspect the x fast action may be too much for a beginner

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:27 am

therock wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:13 am
I wanted to order the 7ft MH fast slx rod to match but my country only brings in the 7'2 MH X-fast model
Not sure if they'll ship to you, or even if they'll have this available again, but I bought this combo as it was an exceptional value I felt.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Country? Where are you as there is no location in your info?
<")))><{

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:43 pm

therock wrote:
I have the older Powell Endurance 7'2" MH-EF and have to wonder why you think an extra fast tip would be too much for a beginner. Personally I like the rod a lot. No experience with any SLX rod.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:43 pm
therock wrote:
I have the older Powell Endurance 7'2" MH-EF and have to wonder why you think an extra fast tip would be too much for a beginner. Personally I like the rod a lot. No experience with any SLX rod.
I have two of the older Powell Max 733 MH EF and they are still my favorite spinnerbait/small swimbait rods.
If you're just learning, fill your reel with 15lb mono, set on full brakes, spool tension so a 1/2oz sinker drops slowly, and don't cast too hard.
Let the rod do the work. With a 1/2oz sinker you can load the rod so it will do it's job.
Keep your thumb on the spool for the entire cast, so you can learn how it feels, and, eventually, learn to use it to control the spool.
As you get better, back off on the brakes a little at a time, and loosen the spool tension gradually.
You will get backlashes. That's why I said to use mono at first, because it is easier to cast with, and cheaper, in case you wind up having to cut some line off.
Don't let that discourage you.
I've been using baitcasters for years, and I still get the occasional backlash.
Anyone who says they never backlash is lying.
Just be patient, don't try to cast too hard, and practice. It's worth the effort and time.
Learning to use a baitcaster is the key to being able to really enjoy fishing.

therock
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by therock » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:19 am

With regards to the fast vs x fast rod my concern is with throwing lighter baits like worms,lizards etc...does x fast mean stiffer?

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:24 am

therock wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:19 am
With regards to the fast vs x fast rod my concern is with throwing lighter baits like worms,lizards etc...does x fast mean stiffer?
Not really stiffer on the tip, I fish a couple of extra fast rods and the tips are nice and lively. They just get into their backbone extremely quick. I prefer xf for jigs as It lets me turn a fish pretty quick.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:48 am

white84z wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:24 am
therock wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:19 am
Not really stiffer on the tip, I fish a couple of extra fast rods and the tips are nice and lively. They just get into their backbone extremely quick. I prefer xf for jigs as It lets me turn a fish pretty quick.
A rod rated MH EF will have the tip extend a bit farther down the blank, just because the whole rod isn't as stiff. That's why they work so well for spinnerbaits. They are flexible enough to make casting easier.
One rated H EF will reach the backbone much more quickly, so I use those for jigs and pitching T rigged soft plastics.

therock
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by therock » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:46 pm

Once again thank you all for the great advice.Im going to go for the SLX rod (MH XF) and the SLX reel.