Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
User avatar
bwjay
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Location: Minnesota

Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by bwjay » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:33 am

I know they've been available via Australia for a while but did anyone pull the trigger with the USDM release? I have an SLX already and am likely selling it to a friend, so I figured I'd pick up an XT to replace it. I'm afraid the blue on the XT might be too flashy for me but if the reel performs I'm not going to return it just because of a blue spool tension knob.

If anyone has the regular SLX and the XT and can comment on performance, I'd love to hear it. I'm assuming they're basically equal but you can do more risky casts with the XT (e.g. into the wind) thanks to the external brakes. If no one comments, well, my XT should be here this week and I'll take it out for some shore frogging, flipping, and good ol' chuck n wind with a variety of baits, and report back.

Edward78
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:28 am
Location: Newburg, Md
Contact:

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by Edward78 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:03 am

Its calling my name but no I haven't yet, It funny because the SLX and the SLX DC get a lot of love but the XT is the best value of the bunch and the best looking IMHO.

User avatar
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 am
Location: Lakeland , FL

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by johnD » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:19 pm

I have the XT , it cast just as good as my curado 70.

User avatar
bwjay
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by bwjay » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:29 pm

johnD wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:19 pm
I have the XT , it cast just as good as my curado 70.
So what would be the benefits of buying a Curado 70 today? Better aesthetics? I still don't understand the benefits of smaller spools for various applications so if that's the only other benefit I'd love to know more about when smaller spools are better.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:43 am

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by mrpao » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:41 pm

I want to try the SLX MGL but waiting for the prices to come down some first.

User avatar
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 am
Location: Lakeland , FL

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by johnD » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:11 am

bwjay wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:29 pm
johnD wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:19 pm
I have the XT , it cast just as good as my curado 70.
So what would be the benefits of buying a Curado 70 today? Better aesthetics? I still don't understand the benefits of smaller spools for various applications so if that's the only other benefit I'd love to know more about when smaller spools are better.
Smaller reel , less spool weight. Curado 70 has x-ship , plus there are 2 bearings on the main shaft , where the slx xt has 1 at the bottom of the main shaft..Curado main shaft support bearings are at the top and the bottom.

User avatar
bwjay
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by bwjay » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:04 pm

Just got my SLX XT and had to take a few glamour shots. It's a very attractive reel. The anodized gunmetal is incredibly sexy. :big grin:

Enjoy! You can right-click the image and say "open image in new tab" to see them at a larger res than displayed here.

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
bwjay
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by bwjay » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Just got back from the first session with the SLX XT (40lb Sufix 832) and I'm impressed. It feels solid and casts like a dream. I had a few issues with overruns because I needed light enough spool tension to be able to flip a Senko but tight enough to not have rampant overruns. The reel came with 2 brakes on 2 brakes off, and I left that with the external dial on 3. I did bump it up to 5 and that didn't solve the overrun issues, so I may try 3 brakes on 1 brake off and see if that helps. It can really bomb baits and feels great on the retrieve. I actually caught the biggest bass in a few months tonight, probably 2.5-3lbs. I was pumped! The reel handled him like a champ. The retrieve was smooth even with the load of the fish. So far I am very impressed with this reel and I think it rivals reels twice its price (like the Chronarch MGL I'll be returning soon).

User avatar
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:04 am
Location: S FL

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:14 am

I like the color.
<")))><{

User avatar
bwjay
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by bwjay » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:21 pm

Another update on SLX XT performance.

Caught my first frog fish on it, maybe a pound and a half largemouth, and had to tighten down the drag while pulling the fish through a ton of slop. You really gotta lock it down on the standard SLX too... the minimum drag is actually so little that sometimes it won't turn the spool even with no pressure on the spool (from my finger or line tension). Lesson learned there. I am still satisfied with its casting performance so far. Unfortunately, the reel has developed a geary feeling just like the Chronarch MGL I have (and am returning soon). I thought, well it's a cheaper reel, can't expect perfection, but my standard SLX does not have it at all. In fact my standard SLX is quite smooth. This is quite concerning. The XT should be just as smooth. I don't know what the deal is but it has quite a bit of vibration going through the reel. I think I may return it to TW but I am gonna have to clean it thoroughly because it's got a ton of gunk on/in it from frogging. I would take it out again tonight for some frogging but I don't want to get it dirtier or risk damaging it. I'm really disappointed because I have enjoyed fishing with the reel so far, and I like the looks of it a lot. But there is no reason it should have this geary feeling when my standard SLX doesn't. The SLX is HG and the XT is XG but that shouldn't matter. I don't know if it's because of the housing differences or what but the standard SLX feels a lot nicer to reel.

Wondering if anyone else experiences this with their XT, if anyone gets one. I know a lot of people here are all about high end gear but... maybe someone else will take the plunge.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4679
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:52 pm

Generally speaking, the higher gear ratios are less smooth than their lower speed counterparts. I had a Tatula SV 6.3 that was glass slick even after a ton of use, but the two 8.1 Tat SV I had were both geary right out of the box. Same with the
8.1 Steez SV TW I bought....way less smooth than my 7.1 Steez.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by poisonokie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:32 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:52 pm
Generally speaking, the higher gear ratios are less smooth than their lower speed counterparts. I had a Tatula SV 6.3 that was glass slick even after a ton of use, but the two 8.1 Tat SV I had were both geary right out of the box. Same with the
8.1 Steez SV TW I bought....way less smooth than my 7.1 Steez.
While I agree that's generally the case, my 9.1 Zillion SV is ultra smooth. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. My 9.1 Zillion TWS is still pretty smooth after quite a bit of use, but I can definitely feel the gears doing their thing.
Still waters run deep.

User avatar
bwjay
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by bwjay » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:56 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:52 pm
Generally speaking, the higher gear ratios are less smooth than their lower speed counterparts. I had a Tatula SV 6.3 that was glass slick even after a ton of use, but the two 8.1 Tat SV I had were both geary right out of the box. Same with the
8.1 Steez SV TW I bought....way less smooth than my 7.1 Steez.
I thought that might be true but hadn't heard of it before. :( Bummer... so maybe this is normal. But it's a pretty substantial difference between the HG SLX and XG SLX XT. I'm wondering if maybe the XT will improve with time, like it needs to break in, but wouldn't it get worse with time? People talk about their Met MGLs being great in the beginning but turning geary after some use. Still not sure if I will keep the XT even if this is normal, but I also don't want TW to reject my return, so..... maybe I will keep it. Maybe I could mod it. I have zero reel disassembly or modding experience though so prooobably not.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2190
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:24 pm

bwjay wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:56 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:52 pm
Generally speaking, the higher gear ratios are less smooth than their lower speed counterparts. I had a Tatula SV 6.3 that was glass slick even after a ton of use, but the two 8.1 Tat SV I had were both geary right out of the box. Same with the
8.1 Steez SV TW I bought....way less smooth than my 7.1 Steez.
I thought that might be true but hadn't heard of it before. :( Bummer... so maybe this is normal. But it's a pretty substantial difference between the HG SLX and XG SLX XT. I'm wondering if maybe the XT will improve with time, like it needs to break in, but wouldn't it get worse with time? People talk about their Met MGLs being great in the beginning but turning geary after some use. Still not sure if I will keep the XT even if this is normal, but I also don't want TW to reject my return, so..... maybe I will keep it. Maybe I could mod it. I have zero reel disassembly or modding experience though so prooobably not.
That reel is supposed to have brass gearing, which is typically smoother than aluminum gearing, so I'd contact TW and see if you can still return it.

User avatar
johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 364
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:16 am
Location: Lakeland , FL

Re: Anyone got an SLX XT coming?

Post by johnD » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:33 pm

If it's geary that quick, something is not right. Mine is smooth , the anti reverse bearing was squeaky right out of the box. A little grease fixed that , I also greased the gears and added carbontex washers , that made a huge difference in drag pressure.
Funny you mentioned the chronarch mgl getting geary , mine did the same thing. Never again with a baitcaster that doesn't have a metal frame.

Post Reply