Shimano SLX users...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Shimano SLX users...

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:07 pm

So with the increased interest and use of the SLX reel, what say you guys? Seeing as how Shimano has got all into the MM gears, and dual bearing supported pinion gears, we are now going backwards with the SLX per say. I remember when the Daiwa Aird (black and yellow) was around, and that reel became quite popular, even though it was considered a cheap reel. The SLX brings back that memory. So here we are, regular gears, no dual bearing supported pinion, and cost effective. I know the MGL version is out there, and they are bringing close to $200, the XT seems to be fair at about $130.

I personally gave the SLX a shot just to see what it is like, and personally liked it a lot. It reminded me of my 50E reels, and with the changing of the bushings to bearings, felt like a reel closer to the $200 range.

So whose gonna get the whole family of SLX, XT, MGL, and DC versions? And do any of you care about this reel not having the "Shimano spent countless hours and money" innovations of the MM gearing and dual pinion support?
<")))><{

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano SLX users...

Post by doomtrprz71 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:43 pm

I have to say the DC model has my attention, but I don't particularly care for the standard slx, I prefer the fuego in that price range, granted I've never used a slx with added bearings. The line between midrange reels is blurring, I just hope that doesn't lead to even more watered down differences between them. Its getting hard for me to pass up OG zillions on eBay compared to the newer stuff.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:43 am

No talk anywhere on the SLX DC at all that I can see in my travels...

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:57 am

My first baitcaster was the SLX and I'm really glad I started with it. It's been remarkably fuss-free and feels quality IMO. No creaking or flexing of the body. Fairly smooth retrieve all things considered. And, mine casts a mile. I have enjoyed my time with it so far. I have an XT on the way and will see if it feels just as good. I will likely be selling my SLX to a friend who wants to get into baitcasting but is afraid he won't like it, so I'm giving him a good deal on the reel to minimize any remorse he may have. I think it's a great "entry level" reel with no quirks that will frustrate beginners, and, if I may, even experienced casters.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:12 am

Spent a day on the Potomac with mine spooled with 10lb Invizx and OMG what a surprising little package it is. I could not put it down all day wondering if something would go wrong , but it just kept on humming like a real expensive reel. The spool capacity for various lines is the same as the Curado 70 and it is the same size. BTW, the DC has been release for $189.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:36 pm

I bought SLX long time ago when it first released and when I saw it compare to other small reels. In fact I bought it because I don’t wanna take my bantam on my float tube. I can say it is a nice reel for it price but to compare with all Curado I have, still not there yet.
I might buy the MGL one, though since I’m not sure when SHIMANO gonna update Curado 70. I don’t care for DC or XT that much since this reel is for heavy lures but if I can one for cheap, why not?