Steez 103 R+ spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez 103 R+ spool

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Finally got to try out this spool in my tdz this morning and all I can say is Wow! I've heard how great this spool is and now know first hand. I was slinging a Mann's hardnose shad (close to 3/4oz)on 10lb yozuri hybrid on a medium Ardito rod all morning. I always found myself reaching for a different reel when it was just the stock gigas spool, didn't like it at all. This reel moves to the top of the pack now!

Now time to try the Td-ito spool :evil:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez 103 R+ spool

Post by bronzefly » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 pm

I really enjoy hearing about guys who still appreciate and enjoy the venerable TD-Z platform, which will always have a special place in my heart. That original Steez 103 spool, black or red, is fantastic in the TD-Z. This is why so many folks still seek the original Gigas R+ reel, or the spool, or the parts to make the original Gigas spool an R+ :lol:

Beware that engraved original TD-Ito 103 spool... it has been known to ruin many a spool of perfectly good line, but it sure is a challenge worth the reward with some work.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:00 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 pm
I really enjoy hearing about guys who still appreciate and enjoy the venerable TD-Z platform, which will always have a special place in my heart. That original Steez 103 spool, black or red, is fantastic in the TD-Z. This is why so many folks still seek the original Gigas R+ reel, or the spool, or the parts to make the original Gigas spool an R+ :lol:

Beware that engraved original TD-Ito 103 spool... it has been known to ruin many a spool of perfectly good line, but it sure is a challenge worth the reward with some work.
Is the TD Ito 103 spool really wild?

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:00 pm
bronzefly wrote:

I think it's fair to say the Ito spool is the wildest of the 34mm spools, or very close to it.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:05 am

adam lancia wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:38 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
I think it's fair to say the Ito spool is the wildest of the 34mm spools, or very close to it.
Absolutely without a doubt in my experience, it's by far the wildest of the bunch...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:44 am

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:05 am
adam lancia wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Absolutely without a doubt in my experience, it's by far the wildest of the bunch...
What makes it so wild?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:55 am

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:44 am
What makes it so wild?
It was originally advertised for use only by "experts" with casting gear. Claims were made that the spool can reach 30000 RPM on start up. I don't know about the spool speed, but having used the reel with the stock spool on and off for many years, I can say that it is insanely fast and incredibly difficult to control when it is opened up and allowed to spin. Increasing the mag brake and mechanical brake can certainly make control less challenging, but then it isn't living up to its potential. None of the Ito 103 reels I presently use have the stock spool installed :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:31 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:55 am
mark poulson wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:44 am
What makes it so wild?
It was originally advertised for use only by "experts" with casting gear. Claims were made that the spool can reach 30000 RPM on start up. I don't know about the spool speed, but having used the reel with the stock spool on and off for many years, I can say that it is insanely fast and incredibly difficult to control when it is opened up and allowed to spin. Increasing the mag brake and mechanical brake can certainly make control less challenging, but then it isn't living up to its potential. None of the Ito 103 reels I presently use have the stock spool installed :lol:
Thanks.
Is it wild like a centrifugal brake reel with all the brakes turned off? I've done that in the past, but it is always one step away from disaster. Too much like work.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:54 am

adam lancia wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
bronzefly wrote:

The td ito and tdz type r spool are the wildest. But they're not exactly difficult to control inside a tdz. Put these two in an ss sv or any of the og steez, and good luck to you and your line.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 am

Thanks.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:07 am

What lure weights is the steez 103 r+ best with?

Is there much of a difference between the tdz r+ spool and the steez 103 spool?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:56 am

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:30 pm
Finally got to try out this spool in my tdz this morning and all I can say is Wow! I've heard how great this spool is and now know first hand. I was slinging a Mann's hardnose shad (close to 3/4oz)on 10lb yozuri hybrid on a medium Ardito rod all morning. I always found myself reaching for a different reel when it was just the stock gigas spool, didn't like it at all. This reel moves to the top of the pack now!

Finally got to test my steez 103 r+ spool in a TDz yesterday. I had sunline defier 13lb and I was using 3/8-1/2 shallow cranks. Wow! is the right word for this setup. Could bomb those lures and the spool still had a lot of control. Definitely one of my favorite setups now.

Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference between the steez r+ spool and the tdz r+ spool ?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:00 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:56 am
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Finally got to test my steez 103 r+ spool in a TDz yesterday. I had sunline defier 13lb and I was using 3/8-1/2 shallow cranks. Wow! is the right word for this setup. Could bomb those lures and the spool still had a lot of control. Definitely one of my favorite setups now.

Does anyone know if there is a noticable difference between the steez r+ spool and the tdz r+ spool ?
I believe they are essentially the same except for the Kanji letters. Teal is probably the foremost expert on TDZs and would know for sure.

For the extra wild Ito spool, a weaker or shorter spring might tame it a bit.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:36 pm

As of late i'm beginning to like the R spools more than the R+ ones. Still do prefer the R+ ones for fluoro, but for braid the R spools feel so free.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:28 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:07 am
What lure weights is the steez 103 r+ best with?

Is there much of a difference between the tdz r+ spool and the steez 103 spool?
In sv tw Zillion it's good in 1/2 oz....3 oz range. I have two of them. Another one is standard, another one is equiped with HLC spring. Standard one is my most versatile spool. But I still like HLC spring version more.