Steez 103 R+ spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez 103 R+ spool

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:43 am

SSS wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:36 pm
As of late i'm beginning to like the R spools more than the R+ ones. Still do prefer the R+ ones for fluoro, but for braid the R spools feel so free.
What reels do you like the R spool in? I only ever tried mine in a T3 MX and it was not good; couldn't get the spacing right. I then sold the spool to fund some other things.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:55 am

Using it primarely in a td ito. Used it in the og steez103 as well. It was bad, real bad.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:30 am

SSS wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:55 am
Using it primarely in a td ito. Used it in the og steez103 as well. It was bad, real bad.
Umpf. I could only imagine. Was never brave enough to try it in mine with those weaker magnets.

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 pm
I really enjoy hearing about guys who still appreciate and enjoy the venerable TD-Z platform, which will always have a special place in my heart. That original Steez 103 spool, black or red, is fantastic in the TD-Z. This is why so many folks still seek the original Gigas R+ reel, or the spool, or the parts to make the original Gigas spool an R+ :lol:
This past year I've been changing out all of my Steez 103 reels to the ZPI PG and M spools. They seem to me to be a nearly perfect match. The Steez spools I then put on some of my TD-z reels and they feel like they ought to have had the Steez spool all along, a great combo IMO. I also put the ZPI M and PG on a couple TD-Z's and that is also a very nice combination.
I also swapped one of the old Steez 103 spools into a an SS SV and it really makes that one a winner. I swapped the original SS SV spool back into the Steez and that, for me, is a much improved combination as well.

The Steez reels were too fast for my skill set, but with the SS SV spool and the ZP{I spools I am as smooth as butter with them and the steez spools really woke up the TD-Z's and the SS SV.

But as I have what my son calls "an embarrassment of TD-z reels", I still have a couple or three that I am still looking to upgrade. I am considering the RC series of ZPI and the Steez SV-103/105, which Brian at your shop says is a pretty good choice.

Now, if I could only find something to do with the PX-68 spools that I have left over from swapping them out with the Finesse specials and Ray's BFS's (I did leave one stock as the original spool actually works well too.)

I prefer the older reels just fine and will use them until they die..or I do...
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 am

noc10 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 pm
I really enjoy hearing about guys who still appreciate and enjoy the venerable TD-Z platform, which will always have a special place in my heart. That original Steez 103 spool, black or red, is fantastic in the TD-Z. This is why so many folks still seek the original Gigas R+ reel, or the spool, or the parts to make the original Gigas spool an R+ :lol:
This past year I've been changing out all of my Steez 103 reels to the ZPI PG and M spools. They seem to me to be a nearly perfect match. The Steez spools I then put on some of my TD-z reels and they feel like they ought to have had the Steez spool all along, a great combo IMO. I also put the ZPI M and PG on a couple TD-Z's and that is also a very nice combination.
I also swapped one of the old Steez 103 spools into a an SS SV and it really makes that one a winner. I swapped the original SS SV spool back into the Steez and that, for me, is a much improved combination as well.

The Steez reels were too fast for my skill set, but with the SS SV spool and the ZP{I spools I am as smooth as butter with them and the steez spools really woke up the TD-Z's and the SS SV.

But as I have what my son calls "an embarrassment of TD-z reels", I still have a couple or three that I am still looking to upgrade. I am considering the RC series of ZPI and the Steez SV-103/105, which Brian at your shop says is a pretty good choice.

Now, if I could only find something to do with the PX-68 spools that I have left over from swapping them out with the Finesse specials and Ray's BFS's (I did leave one stock as the original spool actually works well too.)

I prefer the older reels just fine and will use them until they die..or I do...
I just picked up a RC 002. I'll be using it between the steez and tdz, hopefully in the next few days. I'll let you know how it goes.

noc10
Angler
Angler

Post by noc10 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:22 pm

MountainMan 83 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 am
noc10 wrote:

I just picked up a RC 002. I'll be using it between the steez and tdz, hopefully in the next few days. I'll let you know how it goes.
I would be very interested to hear how that goes for sure...
"I have no worries, I'm just a ghost driving a meat puppet"

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:30 pm

noc10 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:22 pm
MountainMan 83 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:40 am
noc10 wrote:

I would be very interested to hear how that goes for sure...
I had an M spool in one of my OG Steez and wasn't a fan, and strangely enough, it was worse in my TD-Z. It was extremely touchy in the Steez and nearly uncontrollable in the TD-Z.
I absolutely love a 002 in a Steez! It's free enough that you can really bomb a lure but controlled enough to be very accurate. I have yet to try one of my 103 R+ spools in a Steez. My thumb just isn't that bright. Where I find the 103 R+ to really shine is in a TD-Z. Almost as good ss a Steez/002 combo, just a little more hairy once you get to the edge. Staying above 3/8oz usually makes it a lot easier though.
I'm going to send you a PM in a minute (this forum doesn't send PM notifications for some reason).