SS SV 105XH Question

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

SS SV 105XH Question

Post by medicpelle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:11 pm

I'm mostly a Daiwa guy with the exception for a few reels. One reel is a Core 50mG7 that I use for wacky rig senkos. Looking at the SS SV 105XH due to its ratio and weight. looking for feedback on this reel in comparison to the core.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: SS SV 105XH Question

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 am

The SV cast control is somewhat limiting on it for pure distance, but the skipping/pitching control is awesome. I added a stiffer spring under the rotor and it really opened up the reel for distance, and still maintained control. Wacky senko plus hook weighs over 1/4 oz, so it will handle that very well.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:27 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 am
The SV cast control is somewhat limiting on it for pure distance, but the skipping/pitching control is awesome. I added a stiffer spring under the rotor and it really opened up the reel for distance, and still maintained control. Wacky senko plus hook weighs over 1/4 oz, so it will handle that very well.
What do you consider distance? I typically throw a senko weightless or with a split shot on it so I'm not too concerned with weight.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:22 pm

medicpelle wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:27 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
What do you consider distance? I typically throw a senko weightless or with a split shot on it so I'm not too concerned with weight.
Before changing the spring out, I'd say 25 yds is what I got out of it with a weightless senko and braid. That's about as far as you could get a good hookset anyway, if not using braid. I feel I got a little more distance by using light braid and a short leader, though if you're using flouro or mono and adding a splitshot, you would likely achieve similar distance. Due to the braid, I seemed to have a very good hookup ratio when fish hit right away after a long cast, and I suspect the 8:1 gears helped too. Adding the stiffer spring helped me eek out that little extra distance, which was great for my private lakes, as they are all fairly clear except during the spring. I walk the banks of most of them and make quartering casts so I don't spook fish. The control of the SV system was nice while making those low, snappy sidearm casts and skips under overhanging branches, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:58 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:22 pm
medicpelle wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:27 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Before changing the spring out, I'd say 25 yds is what I got out of it with a weightless senko and braid. That's about as far as you could get a good hookset anyway, if not using braid. I feel I got a little more distance by using light braid and a short leader, though if you're using flouro or mono and adding a splitshot, you would likely achieve similar distance. Due to the braid, I seemed to have a very good hookup ratio when fish hit right away after a long cast, and I suspect the 8:1 gears helped too. Adding the stiffer spring helped me eek out that little extra distance, which was great for my private lakes, as they are all fairly clear except during the spring. I walk the banks of most of them and make quartering casts so I don't spook fish. The control of the SV system was nice while making those low, snappy sidearm casts and skips under overhanging branches, too.
I appreciate the feedback, my casts with this specific rig are nowhere near 25 yards so I think it will be an upgrade from the core.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:55 pm

That's surprising. I always thought the Core 50 was a great caster with anything 1/4 oz or more.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:55 pm
That's surprising. I always thought the Core 50 was a great caster with anything 1/4 oz or more.
It is, I'm saying the casts I make are well within 25 feet.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:47 am

First of, I don’t have neither reels, but I do have Alphas SV 105 and aldebaran mg7.
I prefer my aldebaran over alphas in every techniques and I use both the same plus much more on aldebaran. I feel Alphas is so fragile and only suitable for finesse stuffs (just me). You can drop shimano Brenious 7.7 gear on core (if you can find one)
Now, I got rid of my aldebaran and I got to fish alphas side by side with scorpion 70. Man I wanna throw my scorpion down the lake instead. The smoothness and fluid cast hand down to Alphas. The new Curado/Scorpion 70 is just so noisy and gridding on both cast and retrieve. I still like Curado/scorpion 70 though for casting distance and comfortable. BTW my scorpion 70 have been through a lot, 3 carp over 20 lbs and one giant flathead.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am

medicpelle wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
So distance isnt a big necessity in your case. I would definitely recommend the SS SV, then. Don't get me wrong, distance-casting isn't impossible with the 105XH, but it seems to take that little extra effort to really bomb a lure out there.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:27 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 am
medicpelle wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
So distance isnt a big necessity in your case. I would definitely recommend the SS SV, then. Don't get me wrong, distance-casting isn't impossible with the 105XH, but it seems to take that little extra effort to really bomb a lure out there.
Put an SV1000 shallow spool in that thing and they will sail. That's a wild spool in most other reels I've tried it in. It really needs to be in the Steez or T3 platforms to shine, and does it ever.
This is the way.

medicpelle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by medicpelle » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:42 pm

Update bought and used the reel a few times and it's outstanding. Very smooth and light and love the lightweight feel. Great reel for my intended purpose.