Fuego CT for finesse?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MBB Nate
Angler
Angler

Fuego CT for finesse?

Post by MBB Nate » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Has anyone tried a shallow spool in a Fuego Ct for lighter baits like weightless trick worms, fluke jrs, etc?

Should I look this route or go with a scorpion/curado 70, albebaran or one of the daiwa SV reels?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Fuego CT for finesse?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:38 pm

The Fuego CT is an excellent reel (esp at the auction site prices) and would be very BFS-capable with a Ray's Studio spool. It would be cheaper, too vs the other reels you mentioned.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:27 pm

I haven't used that exact reel with a Ray's DIY, but for my old 1520 Zillion TWS those spools turned it to a casting machine. I had a friend who ran a Tatula CT with one of the DIY spools but I don't know which one. He used it with 8lb fluoro (didn't hold much) and it would easily out cast other stock reels oriented for finesse casting. He was using smaller jerkbaits, finesse swimbaits, small squarebills, etc.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:50 pm

I have thrown a weighless Trickworm on my Fuego CT but it's at the lower range of what I can do with that reel without needing perfect thumb control as I have to drop the brakes down to about 25% to get any distance with an easy casting stroke.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:04 pm

A Fuego CT and one of the Ray's spools make for a dirt cheap finesse reel. If you go with the Long Cast Ray's spool you will get a little more capacity and versatility out of the setup.

1nutinthewater
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 1nutinthewater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 pm

My Tat Ct with a DIY spool is a light weight casting machine so I would assume the fuego would be the same.
Our tradition is that of the first who sneaked away to the creek when tribe did not really need fish