Weird incident with reel, but funny.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Weird incident with reel, but funny.

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 am

So yesterday I decided to go hit a few bank spots while the Wife and kid take a nap. So, along with me my 14Scorpion. I have learned my lesson with the I series to carry a vial of oil and a swab for the brake pipe. :lol: So, as Im casting along, I can hear the brakes getting a bit on the dry side, so I tried to be proactive. I dropped a bit of the Daiwa blue oil (its small so I can fit it in a pill bottle with a few extra things) on the swab, and rubbed it on the brake pipe. Holy crap! Now my reel is friggin wild! Never had that happen to me before with this reel. Normally, my brakes are set to 2 on and around 2 to 3 on the dial with this reel, I set the dial up to 6 and still the spool was wild. I then set the internals to 4 on and turned the dial to 4, and it became tame again. Never have I had to up the brakes like that. I opened the reel and wiped the pipe, and it took a few casts to get it back to normal. Just one of those days I guess. :lol:
<")))><{

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Weird incident with reel, but funny.

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am

Yes, oil on the friction ring will do some weird things to a reel's casting performance. Shimano makes a great product, but this is yet another example of why I prefer mag braking.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:03 am

Sounds very similar to my experience with my first Ch CI4, though I didn’t have the issues with turning the brakes up and then back down. That is weird. To much oil is definitely a bad thing, but from my experience the Curado I was the only one that really needed it at all. Run my Metaniums, Chronarchs, Aldebarans, etc. dry and never had loud brakes or any wear on the pins. No idea why as those braking systems are generally the same thing. I’m guessing the TSI didn’t work out for you?

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:10 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:03 am
Sounds very similar to my experience with my first Ch CI4, though I didn’t have the issues with turning the brakes up and then back down. That is weird. To much oil is definitely a bad thing, but from my experience the Curado I was the only one that really needed it at all. Run my Metaniums, Chronarchs, Aldebarans, etc. dry and never had loud brakes or any wear on the pins. No idea why as those braking systems are generally the same thing. I’m guessing the TSI didn’t work out for you?
I have TSI, but the Daiwa oil container was smaller to fit into the pill bottle for me to carry. My TSI bottle is big, and has the needle top. Didnt think I would really need to waste the TSI oil on the pipe anyways, and wasnt looking for big performance gains, and...well...what ya know, I got an unexpected performance gain. :lol:
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm

I lightly polished the brake pipe with Autosol polish, and just to get a nice sheen and the dryness of the cast reduced, the also applied a touch of that Boron Nitride wax lube to it and its definitely quietened down since.

I think the red blocks of the CU i series are too dense for that application. I'm surprised they haven't started to score the brass pipe honestly.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:02 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm
I lightly polished the brake pipe with Autosol polish, and just to get a nice sheen and the dryness of the cast reduced, the also applied a touch of that Boron Nitride wax lube to it and its definitely quietened down since.

I think the red blocks of the CU i series are too dense for that application. I'm surprised they haven't started to score the brass pipe honestly.
Thought about this as well with the brake blocks. The JDM 13Metanium I have has all white blocks. So let me throw this out there to anyone reading this post....does anyone know where I might be able to purchase the white brake blocks for this style SVS system?
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:19 pm

viewtopic.php?t=67524

Well now I'm off onto the near impossible task to get some white blocks for my CUi

Mavn
Angler
Angler

Post by Mavn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:49 pm

I'm going to assume the white blocks are the small size, if so, then fishshop.shimano has them for $.99 Part BNT4821.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:17 am

If only parts were that cheap here...

I got a verification that the white blocks off the Aldabaran will fit my Curado i, so ordered a couple...

Probably be $5 each and $10 post... But eh, its needed; see how it casts with either both white blocks or one white and red etc.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:54 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am
Yes, oil on the friction ring will do some weird things to a reel's casting performance. Shimano makes a great product, but this is yet another example of why I prefer mag braking.
x10
You shouldn’t have to deal with such nonsense!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:48 am

toddmc wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:54 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am
x10
You shouldn’t have to deal with such nonsense!
I have reels that are 15+- years old with centrifugal breaks, and they are still going strong.
It seems to me the newer centrifugal breaking systems are still works in progress.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am

Yeah, because no one on here has ever had a problem with a Daiwa reels brake system :lol: Nonsense like the piece in the side plate coming loose and can’t get any distance? [-X Both brands can have issues guys.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:51 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:10 pm
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:03 am
I have TSI, but the Daiwa oil container was smaller to fit into the pill bottle for me to carry. My TSI bottle is big, and has the needle top. Didnt think I would really need to waste the TSI oil on the pipe anyways, and wasnt looking for big performance gains, and...well...what ya know, I got an unexpected performance gain. :lol:
I hear ya. I wouldn’t want to carry TSI with me at all, that stuff leaks really easily. Glad you found something that works for you no matter how that was achieved :lol:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am
Yeah, because no one on here has ever had a problem with a Daiwa reels brake system :lol: Nonsense like the piece in the side plate coming loose and can’t get any distance? [-X Both brands can have issues guys.
Or the first iteration of SV ramps getting stuck all the time... It's a pain and the part is unreasonably expensive, but once you update that ramp you're set at least.
This is the way.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:08 am

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:49 am
Or the first iteration of SV ramps getting stuck all the time... It's a pain and the part is unreasonably expensive, but once you update that ramp you're set at least.
Yep I forgot about that one. No brand is immune from having issues, especially with first gen brakin systems.