SV103XS Spool Upgrades but what next

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

SV103XS Spool Upgrades but what next

Post by goldrod » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:26 pm

In my mind it was all perfect but in reality I’ve backed into a Corner. I have three sx103xs reels
A-Steez HLC spool X7 EMTF
B-Gigas 105 shallow spool ( I’m told it’s great for pitching)
C-G1 PE spool ( have intentions on making it a frog or toad reel)

Are there worm gear bearings to be added?
Any other upgrades aside from the drag?

I have an HLC handle coming from foreign shores but I think I should have gotten and SLPW handle.

What mods have you made to your SV103xs?
What rods have you paired it with and what spools were not so favored in this reel?

I’m looking for ideas and I would put a BE Spool in it but nothing on it is blue. I know but it’s just me.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV103XS Spool Upgrades but what next

Post by toddmc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:16 pm

I have two of the SV103XS and one of the H. I should have bought a few more. All of mine have four handle bearings with SLP Works Super High Grip knobs, and a level wind bearing. The 103 spool is right in the wheelhouse of what an aluminum framed brass gear reel is usually used for. I would go with an Alphas or Steez if you feel a need to go with a 105 size spool. The SV103 will balance better with longer rods because of its weight. The drag washers are fine for any size line that you want to fish.
The spool in that reel is one of the best all-around spools that you can have. You can make it a finesse reel, but it's not the best platform for a transformation. Do the added bearing upgrades and be done with it. I would take an SV103 if I had to have only one reel because I fish a lot of heavier baits on heavier fluoro.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:26 pm

I have two. One with the dimpled SV103 Steez limited spools, the other with the dimpled Steez SV105 limited spools. I went through testing numerous spools in this reel, and this is where I landed. Aside from that, and some different parts, I don't think the reel needs anything else. Spool bearings, springs, inductors and ramps can be played around with.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback
I’m always playing around with this reel I nearly like it better than the OG zillion
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:22 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:38 pm
Thanks guys for the feedback
I’m always playing around with this reel I nearly like it better than the OG zillion
I DO like it better than the OG Zillion. 1 oz lighter, plus all the different 34mm spool options makes it a superior reel imho.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:25 pm

You guys need to quit talking about how awesome the reel is or nobody is gonna want to sell me a lefty. ](*,) :lol:

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:24 am

Not much I would do to it other than replace the ugly stock knobs. I did that on mine and flush the bearings. With dial set at 3 or 4 I can cast a bait a good ways into the wind just fine and no backlash. The gears are still strong in the 7.9 I have and the reel feels quite solid under load.

As mentioned you can experiment with more spool options in this reel than the OG platform.

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:45 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:26 pm
I added a red ZLN SV TW CC caps and red highlites from the Zillion OG. Also made mine click with addition of the click spring mod I've posted.

I swapped out the spool from an ZLN SV TW(G1 1016) for medium to heavy jigs and love it in my right hander. Also have the Steez HLC in my lefty for medium cranking. Love that too!
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 am

domthewon wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:25 pm
You guys need to quit talking about how awesome the reel is or nobody is gonna want to sell me a lefty. ](*,) :lol:
I'm sure there will be another iteration, just be patient.
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:48 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:45 am
goldrod wrote:
I added a red ZLN SV TW CC caps and red highlites from the Zillion OG. Also made mine click with addition of the click spring mod I've posted.

I swapped out the spool from an ZLN SV TW(G1 1016) for medium to heavy jigs and love it in my right hander. Also have the Steez HLC in my lefty for medium cranking. Love that too!

That Steez HLC spool is SUPERB in that reel and that’s stock
I can’t even imagine what a tuned spool would do. It’s like the reel has launch control on before your cast. I AM a believer for sure that some things just go together and that spool reel combination is one

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:25 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:48 pm
jjbassnforfun wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:45 am
goldrod wrote:

That Steez HLC spool is SUPERB in that reel and that’s stock
I can’t even imagine what a tuned spool would do. It’s like the reel has launch control on before your cast. I AM a believer for sure that some things just go together and that spool reel combination is one
Even the silver steez spool works dandy. I used it until I found the HLC spool. A close second to the HLC was the DIY spool that has the adjustable inductor.

I gave the steez silver spool to a bud and he's been using it to sling spinnerbaits. 3/8 and up IIRC. He was also impressed and is looking to get the HLC.

There are so many spools in this series and I've been trying to collect them all to get a feel. My top two are the G1 1016 and the HLC so far.
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO