New Antares

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Antares

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:37 am

What do you not like about it
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New Antares

Post by Hennessy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:42 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:37 am
WEIGHT. The reason I won’t purchase, it palms great though. A $500 reel at almost 8oz is the deal breaker. mid 6oz, I’d for sure have one. Imo, I think it’s the best baitcast released this yr

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Hennessy wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:42 pm
goldrod wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:37 am
WEIGHT. The reason I won’t purchase, it palms great though. A $500 reel at almost 8oz is the deal breaker. mid 6oz, I’d for sure have one. Imo, I think it’s the best baitcast released this yr
Thank you for your honesty and perspective.
I never knew it weighed so so so much I assumed it was sub 5 and maybe even solid 4. But eight ounces at the era of reels is surprising.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Weight is such an overblown factor with fishing reels. As long as it palms well thats what matters.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 pm

What's not to like?? Not every rod works well with a 5 or 6 oz reel, not every application is suited for a sub 10 oz combo. Although the Antares AR is capable of casting down to 5 grams (maybe lower), I don't think that's it calling. It's built like a tank and is equally adept at casting 3/4 to 2 oz lures while strapped onto a 7'6 Heavy Rod. Some might feel it's limited in line capacity for that lure range, but it depends on what type and size line you feel the need to use. I get by all day with 2.5 PE on it.

My Steez CT SV would feel silly on this rod.
My 6'7M Luxxe Oltre would feel silly with a Antares Monster Drive seated.

I am a diehard Daiwa guy and I have to admit, this reel is amazing.
rsz_1img_3172.jpg
rsz_1img_3172.jpg (32.48 KiB) Viewed 8417 times
rsz_img_3174 (1).jpg
rsz_img_3174 (1).jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 8417 times

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:10 pm

I have the Antares on a Conquest 904C and it feels great. I usually have a Bantams on my longer rods. Only my lighter setups i opt for Metanium MGL.

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:12 pm

DenhamBruce wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:14 pm
Weight is such an overblown factor with fishing reels. As long as it palms well thats what matters.
Exactly. Too many nerds on here that spend more time looking at reel specs than actually fishing. A feather lite reel that is shelled out, needs new gears after one season is a reel not worth owning.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:56 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:12 pm
DenhamBruce wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:14 pm
Exactly. Too many nerds on here that spend more time looking at reel specs than actually fishing. A feather lite reel that is shelled out, needs new gears after one season is a reel not worth owning.
Everyone has their own biases
More often than not you’ll hear how one rod or reel is the best thing to happen to man. I’d rather hear what you don’t like as in this case. Not saying that weight is the end all for me but it did make me consider the reels weight and actually look at the specs instead of assuming.

Sometimes it’s jist worth asking the question. Today I looked around at rods I’d be interested in. I don’t see anything on the USDM that interest me that is currently for sale. I read so many reviews and I cannot tell you how many game changers there are out there. So I looked at the frequency and similarities of customers complaints and negative experiences.
That made me think that at the current price point I’d rather buy something JDM.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:38 am

Agree with some of the comments above regarding weight. Give me a Conquest over any ultra light casting reel for most of the fishing I do. Weight isn’t everything.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:42 am

Antares has always been a crazy beautiful reel. I love my Scorpion Antares, but you cant fish them on a sunny day. :lol:
<")))><{

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:25 am

8-) 8-) 8-)

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:32 am

Weight isn’t an issue with the techniques I use this reel for(spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jigs). I wouldn’t take it out there and rip jerkbaits all day, that’s where a light reel shines. As far as any actual negatives, I’d say that it can get hot sitting on the deck in the sun all day, but not bad enough to not use it.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:19 am

If you balance your rods by adding weight to the butt end with the fully spooled reel attached, weight won't be an issue. What you feel when you fish is whether or not your setup is so tip heavy that fishing it is a chore.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 pm
What's not to like?? Not every rod works well with a 5 or 6 oz reel, not every application is suited for a sub 10 oz combo. Although the Antares AR is capable of casting down to 5 grams (maybe lower), I don't think that's it calling. It's built like a tank and is equally adept at casting 3/4 to 2 oz lures while strapped onto a 7'6 Heavy Rod. Some might feel it's limited in line capacity for that lure range, but it depends on what type and size line you feel the need to use. I get by all day with 2.5 PE on it.

rsz_1img_3172.jpg
rsz_img_3174 (1).jpg

Do you like the antares better than the Steez CT SV?
Just wondering.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:20 pm

goldrod wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:31 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 pm

rsz_1img_3172.jpg
rsz_img_3174 (1).jpg

Do you like the antares better than the Steez CT SV?
Just wondering.
It's funny you ask that Goldenrod...Just this evening I did a little swap around to see how the Antares felt on The Evergreen Stallion RS Limited (6'9 rod). I headed to a pond around the corner from my office in J-Ville to do some pre-hurricane fishing/testing. I was primarily throwing a Neko Dot Crawler which I would say was around 10 grams total. While I could cast the combo with ease, even in a brisk wind, I repeatedly said to myself.."man I wish I had of brought my CT/Oltre combo with me. The Steez CT SV(KTF spool)/Luxxe Oltre M combo is my favorite to use by a stretch. It's just so fun and nimble to use with any type of casting or pitching. (backhand, underhand, sidearm, triple lindy...). With that said, I don't think the Antares has reached it's final destination rod wise yet. I think ultimatly it will be a 7'1 or a 7'4 Designo MH/H rod, just need to do a little more research and save up some Yen.
Also, the reels are a complete different breed from each other. The Antares leaning more toward power and the CT SV leaning more toward finesse.
Anyhoo..I did catch my 1st Jacksonville bass since moving back to FL, but it was nothing to write home about, but worth a picture none the less.
I sent you a PM a few days ago...meet up for a fishing session and you can try out both!
rsz_1jville1.jpg
rsz_1jville1.jpg (92.19 KiB) Viewed 8169 times