Daiwa Z: Times Have Changed

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa Z: Times Have Changed

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:17 pm

toddmc wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:52 am
Carlos Carrapiço wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:25 am
toddmc wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:24 am

The main reason that the Z2020 was not popular with true big bait fisherman is they have often have a "go big or go home" mentality that requires more line capacity than the Z2020 has. That is why it could be found for 50% off shortly after its production run. It is a great reel, but it is just not in the wheelhouse of most true big bait fishermen.
It takes 70m of 30lb FC.
I wonder what do you mean by "go big or go home" :-k as I have never seen a bass strip more than 10 meters of line and with 30lb no way it's gonna go far.

I have 5 x Z2020 all with 6.2:1 and 100 mm handles and they all incredible torque, smooth, fast and hold more than enough line for bass fishing either FC or PE (80lb).

In my opinion perception and group mentalities are just a nice way to ignore real facts :-#
Most of us are not fishing shallow waters in the West. Most of our waters are also full of huge stripers that will strip a lot more line than you suggest. More and more Western anglers are throwing baits well over three ounces (10" Hudds and bigger) long distances slow rolling them back to the boat in deep water. An 8" Hudd is considered small on my home lake. They are putting bigger and bigger trout in our waters forcing us to match the hatch.
The Z2020 has a greatly diminished gear ratio when you only have a few yards of line at the bottom of a spool. I can cast the 70m that you suggest with a bait over 3 ounces with the right rod. This is a reality that can't be ignored. As I said, they are great reels. They just aren't in the wheelhouse of a lot of guys out West. That added to the price tag and you can see why they were not flying off of the shelves. I would own one if I threw more 6" swimbaits.
I use mine for everything from 3/4oz until 10oz but normal use is with baits between 4 and 8 oz.

I just wonder if your 3oz bait is a hard swimbait? I'm not questioning your 70m because I have done it with a 1/2oz lipless and 16lb mono. I just don't see many hard swimbaits that can perform so well when casting and if you go above 5oz, its even worse in my limited experience.

Anyway, far from me to try to convince someone to change their game