Daiwa magnetic brakes

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Daiwa magnetic brakes

Post by mark poulson » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:16 pm

I've never tried a Daiwa reel with magnetic brakes, but my friend is letting me try hers.
Do you still have to thumb the spool with those brakes?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa magnetic brakes

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 pm

Which Daiwa reels have you used that don't have magnetic brakes?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 pm
I've never used a Daiwa baitcaster, just spinning reels, and that was back in the 70's.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:05 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 pm
I've never used a Daiwa baitcaster, just spinning reels, and that was back in the 70's.
Mag brakes typically need thumb only on lure splashdown, if the brakes are set correctly. The SV spools are better at this than even the older iterations of Magforce.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:51 am

Am I the only one here more impressed with his female friend that has a Daiwa baitcaster?! :mrgreen:

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:52 am

It depend’s on which reel is in use and for which use.

OG HLC Zillion needs a lot of thumb brake in common fishing situation and it still makes birdnests. It’s trouble free only in powercasting over 100 meters with 2…3 oz weight, and with those casts it don’t need much thumbing.

sv Zillion is very trouble free in most of my uses. I use it with Magforce Z spools to common use. Spools in my use is I’ze HLC spool and Steez 103 spool with HLC spring and Steel 103 spool with standard spring. Steez 103 spool with HLC spring is my favorite so far, but it’s slightly hard to cast with lightweight lures to headwind. I’ze HLC spool and standard Steez 103 spool are very easy. I don’t actually thumb brake those, but my thumb slightly slides/follows spool during cast ready to act.

Tatula ct Type-R was also very easy to cast. I used it similar to sv Zillion with Magforce Z brakes. But in my opinion standard spiring was a little too soft, but I never changed it because this is now my spare spool.

In BFS I use Momo’s Honeycomb in sv tw Zillion, and for ct Alphas I use original spool with HLC spring and spooled only half spool, and KTF spool and Roro spool. Momo’s honeycomb and ct ct alphas original spool needs similar thumb use like sv Zillion with Magforce Z’s. KTF and Roro works better without thumbing.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:27 am

Yes, unless you have everything turned up so high that you can't get any distance at all, you still have to thumb the spool. Though, every reel is different with regard to how much input is required. Especially if you're using braid with one of the faster, farther casting spools, whether it's SV, Z, or whatever, you really have pay attention at the first part of the cast and, to borrow an automotive term, stab the brakes for a fraction of a second when it starts to get wild before allowing it to spin freely.
This is the way.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:06 am

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:51 am
Am I the only one here more impressed with his female friend that has a Daiwa baitcaster?! :mrgreen:
She is a lifelong angler. Her dad had a saltwater boat, and they used to fish out of San Pedro in Los Angeles when she was a kid.
She has been fishing for bass longer than I have.
She fished the U.S. Opens back in the 90's as a coangler, and once drew Dee Thomas as her boater. She actually helped him fill out his limit that day! He lives near me now, and he still remembers her.
I guess she made friends with one of the reps for Daiwa, so she has used their stuff ever since.
She is going to let me fish one of her T wing Tatulas when she comes up for two weeks in October.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:08 am

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:27 am
Yes, unless you have everything turned up so high that you can't get any distance at all, you still have to thumb the spool. Though, every reel is different with regard to how much input is required. Especially if you're using braid with one of the faster, farther casting spools, whether it's SV, Z, or whatever, you really have pay attention at the first part of the cast and, to borrow an automotive term, stab the brakes for a fraction of a second when it starts to get wild before allowing it to spin freely.
Thanks. I don't want to mess up her reel on the first cast. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 am

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:08 am
poisonokie wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:27 am
Thanks. I don't want to mess up her reel on the first cast. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daiwa reels don't need really hard casts to get distance and are designed to be used with a more gentle lazy stroke. If you understand that and set it properly, you will be just fine without thumbing the spool until splash down.
If you think that you know better and try to force the reel into behaving your way... than you are in for serious problems if you don't use your thumb.

SV are just so easy to use that even a 5 year old boy/girl can use it.