CH MG 50 upgrades

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: CH MG 50 upgrades

Post by Jkitchens » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:23 am

mark poulson wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:34 am
lifeofRiley wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:23 pm
Mark, the original CH50Mg main gear is aluminum. And hoohoo is correct about the cu100D vs. Dsv. I asked on the shimano page and that is what Dan said. So from my understanding, if you plan on using heavy line, or techniques with lots of torque/drag pressure, a brass gear addition will definitely help beef the reels up. I believe the original pinion gear is brass, and those are no longer available, so you would have to mate a new brass main gear with your existing pinion gear. The part number for the brass drive gear is BNT1325. I clean/repair reels as a hobby and for fishing buddy's, there are people on here that know a lot more than me, but I have done several hundred complete tear downs/clean/re-lubes on shimano casting reels. I have seen 3 CH50Mgs with aluminum main gears that have teeth completely shorn off. Your options would be 1. use the reels until they feel rough and the aluminum main gear goes south 2. buy the brass main gear and stick it in the reels now. If anyone has any info to correct or add to this please chime in.
Thanks. I ordered one of the BNT1325 gears from Southwesternparts.com (thank you Jkitchens). It should be here next week, so I'll be able to swap out one of the aluminum gears and see how it works.

I'll post my results, if I can remember. CRS bigtime! :lol:
You’re welcome Mark, glad to help!
2018 Ranger RT 188 w / 115 PRO XS CT

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:10 pm

Jkitchens wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:54 am
I believe the Curado 100DSV had brass gears but as Riley stated the pinion gear is no longer available (BNT2405) but the main drive gear is abundant (BNT1325). Here’s a useful link for Shimano parts, they have Daiwa parts as well but not as plentiful...

https://www.southwesternparts.com
My BNT1325 gear came in yesterday. It fits perfectly, and cranks smoothly.
Thanks again Jkitchen, and to you, too, Bantam 1!

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jkitchens » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:24 am

Good deal Mark!
2018 Ranger RT 188 w / 115 PRO XS CT