Saltwater- Steez 1016 and ZPI PG spools

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Saltwater- Steez 1016 and ZPI PG spools

Post by scrapiron » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:00 am

I did a quick search and didn't find anything....

Can I use a Steez SV G1 1016 or a ZPI NRC001-PG in a Steez A while inshore fishing? And I guess the follow-on question is would I want to- knowing that I'd also use those spools back in freshwater with a Steez SV?

Equipment will be rinsed after every trip- I know both spools work in the Steez A.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Saltwater- Steez 1016 and ZPI PG spools

Post by bbates3 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:11 am

i was advised probably not best to use zpi in salt

i am personally going to fish my steez a 100% bone stock in the salt

save my zpi spools for just freshwater

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:27 am

Personally as long as you're a Smith when it comes to cleaning your reel after use you really shouldn't run into a whole lot of problems it's not ideal but that's the general guideline I feel personally but I wouldn't necessarily be afraid to do one salting. I know I break my own reels down and what not so that's never been a concern but then again I've used mostly my aluminum framed shimanos. I have thrown my 09' Aldebaran mg a few times from shore didn't need to try my steez based MB lariat models. Just be sure to give a thorough rinse/ultrasonic and a good break down and grease/lube/oil every so often depending on how much you salt :-k Just remember though once your frame/parts are compromised do to the start of corrosion it would really be tough on any reel but especially if they are MG based frames in my opinion to keep running optimally that is.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:29 am

Hopefully some hardcore salting guys will pipe in to give some more opinions I don't really feel like my opinions r worth much as I don't salt with my reels a whole lot in general maybe twice a year And when I do it's generally jedi in shore Bay fishing