Alphas sv105

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alphas sv105

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:48 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:58 pm
Did you determine if your inductor is sticking? If so, I'd get that sorted out before doing anything else.
Took the spool out and the inductor was not stuck.

The 10lb seguar red label sure was jumping off the spool though so maybe that's part of it. The spool tension was way too tight as well. I didn't think I had it that tight but I also accidentally turned the brakes to min instead of max when I was testing it as well so maybe I just had an off day. Ive got some 11lb sunline defier shooter I can put on it to try .

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:50 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:24 pm
I use berkley trilene xl smooth casting Monofilament with no problems in my sv105 reels.
I'm going to try the 11lb sunline defier shooter I have first otherwise I'll definitely give this a try.

I also had a member text me and offer to take a look at the reel if I don't get it figured out so that's an option. Very nice of them.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:59 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:56 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:06 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:31 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:51 pm
Yeah, it's a wild reel, no bones about it, especially with fluorocarbon. I think it really needs to be used with braid for pitching or casting baits over a quarter of an ounce. It's freakin' awesome for that stuff, though.
Would mono be better than fluorocarbon too? I don't ever use braid.
As long as it's really soft and low memory, I'd say so. I've never used mono on mine.

The problem is that spool is so fast it's hard to manage line that wants to spring off the spool. With braid, a lot of times the loop will fly out of the line guide so fast a backlash doesn't have time to form.
Well that sounds like a good reason to try braid on this reel to me. What lb braid would be comparable to 10-12lb fluorocarbon?
Well, diameter wise, that's about 30-40, but I'd use 15-20, mayyybe 30, depending on the rod you use.

I have 10# fireline on mine just because that's what I had laying around after my last spool of 10# Invizx blew up from catching a weed or something right when I casted and I actually really like it. It's closer to 15-20# braid in diameter and I use it on a 6'9" regular-fast rod rated for 6-16# line and 3/16-1/2oz lures.
Fireline looks interesting to me. I have the reel on. 6'10" megabass levante jerkbait special which feels like a medium with a fast to moderate fast action to me. Which megabass says is rated for 3/8 - 3/4 oz (didn't pay attention to that before now). And 8-20lb line. Maybe since I was throwing a 3/8oz jerkbait it was kind of light to load the rod when casting?

I'm thinking maybe most of my problems were with the fluorocarbon and tightening the spool tension too much. I'll respool with mono and see if I can get out and give it a try in the next few days.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:10 pm

I use 10# mono on my sv105p for shallow crankbaits and it casts really great with 1/4 oz. The rod it's on is med lt moderate and rated 1/8-3/8. It loads down deep with 3/8 tied on and really launches baits. My spool has the Ray's Studio inductor added to it. My rotor was sticking and the Ray's repair kit has a tapered rotor, which really opened the reel up for distance. It is now one of the longest-casting reels I own.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:55 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:10 pm
I use 10# mono on my sv105p for shallow crankbaits and it casts really great with 1/4 oz. The rod it's on is med lt moderate and rated 1/8-3/8. It loads down deep with 3/8 tied on and really launches baits. My spool has the Ray's Studio inductor added to it. My rotor was sticking and the Ray's repair kit has a tapered rotor, which really opened the reel up for distance. It is now one of the longest-casting reel I own.
Which rod? Also where is the Ray's repair kit sold?

Thank you

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:11 pm

Rotor:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DAIWA-MEGABASS ... G8vEpEAmLQ
Rod:
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/13_Fish ... -O3FG.html
The rod says fast, but it is moderate, and it is great for small spinnerbaits and cranks, especially with braid. Also rated to 1/2 oz, but 3/8 is the upper limit imho. It is light and surprisingly sensitive given the price point. Downside...it's not pretty too look at! :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:18 pm

Btw, I've used 15# pp ss8 v2 braid on this setup with excellent results, also. I got even more distance out of it with the braid.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:22 pm

Wow, that color is something else. Price is Right though. I do throw some 1/2oz-5/8oz lures sometimes so I might want something a little heavier. The medium is only rated to 3/8 as well. Price is good though