TD-Z swept handle and spool options

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

TD-Z swept handle and spool options

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:19 am

Hi, I am putting a tatula 90mm swept handle and tatula type r zaion swept drag star on a td-z and was wondering if the tatula handle collar will work or will I not get enough drag star rotation?

First time changing from a straight handle to a swept

Also I have a 1000sv spool, steez 103 r+ spool, and steez 105 limited spool. Which would be best for casting 3/8 - 1/2oz cranks? I was set on the r+ but wondering if the 1000sv would be better

Thanks
Last edited by chrisg_sdcf on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: TD-Z swept handle collar

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 am

If you mean the cup washer on top of the star, the washer from a Tatula Type R or from an SV 105 has to be used. The one from an OG Steez or OG zillion is smaller diameter and the star will bind when you try to back off the drag pressure.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:59 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:33 am
If you mean the cup washer on top of the star, the washer from a Tatula Type R or from an SV 105 has to be used. The one from an OG Steez or OG zillion is smaller diameter and the star will bind when you try to back off the drag pressure.

Yeah that's what I was asking about. Thanks.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:33 pm

Here's mine.

Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:00 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:33 pm
Here's mine.

Very nice. I plan to change the knobs eventually but here is mine with a tatula handle I had laying around. I ended up getting the tatula type r star and tatula handle collar but it kinda feels like it doesn't losen the drag as much this way (loose enough to pull line freely though).

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Sometimes the washer on top of the drag spring washers have to be thinner cross or thicker to accommodate proper drag range. Sounds like you might need to locate a thinner washer in your case.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:20 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:11 pm
Sometimes the washer on top of the drag spring washers have to be thinner cross or thicker to accommodate proper drag range. Sounds like you might need to locate a thinner washer in your case.
Under my drag star there are 3 washers and the. The washer with spring in it for the drag. Just one of those three washers needs to be thinner? Or could I take one out?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:23 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:33 pm
Here's mine.

What rod is yours on? Is it the stock spool?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:20 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Under my drag star there are 3 washers and the. The washer with spring in it for the drag. Just one of those three washers needs to be thinner? Or could I take one out?
There should be 2 washers shaped and oriented like this() or this )(. I usually put them like the 1st example. Then theres a friction washer on top of those that the drag star makes contact with. That washer you have is likely thick and looks like copper on one side and has a thin black coating on the other. If that's what it looks like, then you can get a much thinner washer and grease it good so it doesn't wear the underside of the drag star. That will give you more range to back off the pressure. Btw, that's a Villian 2.0 69MLF rod (and your TDZ is in a lot better cosmetic condition than mine!). :lol:

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:12 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:20 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
There should be 2 washers shaped and oriented like this() or this )(. I usually put them like the 1st example. Then theres a friction washer on top of those that the drag star makes contact with. That washer you have is likely thick and looks like copper on one side and has a thin black coating on the other. If that's what it looks like, then you can get a much thinner washer and grease it good so it doesn't wear the underside of the drag star. That will give you more range to back off the pressure. Btw, that's a Villian 2.0 69MLF rod (and your TDZ is in a lot better cosmetic condition than mine!). :lol:
Thanks for the explanation.

My tdz has some rash, just can't see it well in the pictures.

Do you have the stock spool in yours?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:48 am

No, mine has a G1 1012SV Steez spool.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:57 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:48 am
No, mine has a G1 1012SV Steez spool.
Have you used any other spools in it? It had a 1000sv spool in it when I bought it but I picked up a steez 103 r+ spool as well. I have a steez 105 limited spool in another tdz so I'm trying to figure out which spool to put in the tdz 103ml for 3/8 - 1/2 oz crankbaits to get the best casting performance. I was set on the r+ spool but I'm seeing it's better with braid and for flipping/pitching. I want to use this reel for casting not pitching.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: TD-Z swept handle and spool options

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 am

My other one has a Steez 103 spool in it and it casts really well, too. I do use braid almost exclusively, but I think it would define with other lines, too. I had 17# Sufix Siege mono on the Steez 103 spool and it did cast very well. The spool is still very controlled in a TDZ, because the magnets are stronger than the magnets in a Steez. In it's original reel, the 103 spool was better for pitching, as it was a bit wild on the cast(due to those weak magnets).

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:22 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:56 am
My other one has a Steez 103 spool in it and it casts really well, too. I do use braid almost exclusively, but I think it would define with other lines, too. I had 17# Sufix Siege mono on the Steez 103 spool and it did cast very well. The spool is still very controlled in a TDZ, because the magnets are stronger than the magnets in a Steez. In it's original reel, the 103 spool was better for pitching, as it was a bit wild on the cast(due to those weak magnets).
I'll definitely have to try it out. I was going to put sunline defier mono on it. Do you use braid with crankbaits too?

I like the steez limited 105 in the TD Ito 103 but I was thinking the orange sv1000 spool I have would look nicer in it. I'll probably end up rotating the 3 spools around and see what i like the best.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:08 am

I use 8-10# braid with tiny cranks, but my bigger cranking combos have 10-12# mono.