Curado 200e7 or sv103

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Curado 200e7 or sv103

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Hi, I'll keep it short. The monkey is bugging me again. I have all daiwa reels except one like new curado 200e7. I've been thinking about getting a second sv103 (in 7.9 since I have the 6.3). Should I just keep the curado? Or go all daiwa and get the sv103? (It's on a heavy rod that I use for frogs and some topwater/wakebaits).

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado 200e7 or sv103

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:45 am

Just get the reel you want. You are only on this planet once, so dont live with any regrets. Worse comes to worse, you will have no issues selling the SV103 if you decide to get something else,.
<")))><{

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:55 am

I like to have all the same make/model reels, so when I change I have the same casting/ winding feeling/grip. I would just get another one of what you prefer. Also easier from maintenance point of view.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:50 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:45 am
Just get the reel you want. You are only on this planet once, so dont live with any regrets. Worse comes to worse, you will have no issues selling the SV103 if you decide to get something else,.
I agree with getting the reel I want instead of settling. I wasn't really clear I guess, I was rushing to post before heading to work. I like both of the reels I'm just wondering if there is any reason to justify getting rid of the curado and pay more buying another sv103. Is one better, or more durable, with heavier lures (1 5/8oz-2oz is the heaviest I throw). Any issues with the curado e series (I've found a lot of info on the sv103 the last few months but not much on the old 200e7).

I haven't really used the curado much yet but I really like the way it looks and it feels nice in my hands. I also really like the way the sv103 looks and the one I have feels smoother than the curado and most other reels I own (curado isnt rough but just not as smooth and it's a louder but it doesn't bother me).

The ability to swap spools with my other daiwas and the sv103 is nice but Id probably try a few soools, pick one I like, and leave it alone after that.

If I won't gain anything for what I want to use it for I think I'd rather not spend the extra money.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:00 am

Patex wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:55 am
I like to have all the same make/model reels, so when I change I have the same casting/ winding feeling/grip. I would just get another one of what you prefer. Also easier from maintenance point of view.
That makes sense, and that's one reason why I'm considering changing. Besides the type of breaking system it really doesn't feel a whole lot different to me in my hand. I'm sure there are other differences when it comes to maintenance.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:53 am

Shimano to me has always been a more "simple" design when it comes to assembly. Spool options is a plus for the SV103. The main downfall to the XS models is the levelwind pawls and wormshafts wear quick. Downfall for the E series Shimanos??? Man, thats a tough one. Honestly, my favorite of the series, and have a Citica E that is one of my prized reels.
<")))><{

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:04 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:53 am
Shimano to me has always been a more "simple" design when it comes to assembly. Spool options is a plus for the SV103. The main downfall to the XS models is the levelwind pawls and wormshafts wear quick. Downfall for the E series Shimanos??? Man, thats a tough one. Honestly, my favorite of the series, and have a Citica E that is one of my prized reels.
Well that makes me want to just keep the Shimano curado 200e then. I really like the feel of it and the paint plus the rod it's on has green accents so it goes well. I'll hold onto it for now and use it more and I'm sure another sv103 will pop up eventually if I change my mind. If not I have the one already.

Thanks LgMouthGambler.

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:47 am

Never get rid of the E7! It is a timeless classic which can still be sold for its original msrp today! Easy to teardown and maintain too. Flush and relube the bearings with tsi or ardent oil and it will outcast 90% of all reels, including the current models.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:20 am

Yeah, I got rid of it. I kind of wish I kept it but I never used it and everything else I have is daiwa. I did buy a scorpion 1001xt recently and it feels like it's going to be a nice reel. Haven't fished it yet but I got a rod for it now and might take it out Friday. There is a curado 51e in the classifieds im interested in as well but don't really need another reel.

skunked
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by skunked » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:38 am

How do you like the scorpion? Those are some of my favorite reels! I have a core 51mg, and several curado 51e/scorp 1001xt/aldebaran mg's. Casting machines and so easy to work on. I just hate the outdated spring design under the cast control knob on the curados/scorps. I'm glad nobody uses them nowadays.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:19 am

skunked wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:38 am
How do you like the scorpion? Those are some of my favorite reels! I have a core 51mg, and several curado 51e/scorp 1001xt/aldebaran mg's. Casting machines and so easy to work on. I just hate the outdated spring design under the cast control knob on the curados/scorps. I'm glad nobody uses them nowadays.
Love the Scorpion. One of my favorite reels along with the '12 Aldebaran bfs which is weird because I've been a daiwa guy for the most part.