Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by poisonokie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:23 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 am

I loved my ASC. However, mine jumped ship when I was driving from the lake...never to be seen again :doh:
:shock: WHAT??
This is the way.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:03 am

Tim Kelly wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 am
I have a purple cosugo works spool in my 105SV and it does everything I could ask of it with baits down to a 2" fin s fish on a 1/16 head, which is as far as I want to go. I have it on a speedstyle light power, with the spliced tip and it's a nice versatile outfit with a bit more backbone. My friend Karl found me the spool, no idea where, maybe some Japanese auction site? I was dribbling after using his Alphas KTF, which was utterly faultless and he said he thought the Cosugi spool could work pretty similarly in my SV. It's 99% as good and plenty good enough for me.
Both of those spools are amazing from what I read. There is a purple one on eBay for like $280 shipped but I can't bring myself to spend that much on a Spool. It's gotta be nice for that price

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3877267230

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:05 am

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 pm

Between the alpha air and ASC would you pick the ASC for the 6'4" UL if you were only going with one setup ?
Yes, but I also wouldn't ever throw anything over 1/8oz with it. Also, I slowed my ASC down with 5.8 gears as I use that setup for spoons and hardbaits. If you stick with 5# or less fluoro or 10# or less braid, which is right in that rod's wheelhouse, the ASC is perfect. If you want to go with lines over 6#/15# or you want to throw heavier weights up to 1/4, I'd go with the Air. The 65L MS-X is better for that stuff, though.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need both haha

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:13 pm

Between the alpha air and ASC would you pick the ASC for the 6'4" UL if you were only going with one setup ?
Yes, but I also wouldn't ever throw anything over 1/8oz with it. Also, I slowed my ASC down with 5.8 gears as I use that setup for spoons and hardbaits. If you stick with 5# or less fluoro or 10# or less braid, which is right in that rod's wheelhouse, the ASC is perfect. If you want to go with lines over 6#/15# or you want to throw heavier weights up to 1/4, I'd go with the Air. The 65L MS-X is better for that stuff, though.
Exactly

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:30 pm

I had a blue Cosugi works spool for the alphas that i traded for a used metanium mg dc :cry: Wasn't worth it. The lowest i threw was 1.8g. Best bfs spool i've had. With thin braid to fluoro leader that thing was perfect.

On pixy i'm using the PX68 Finesse Special. Awesome spool, but it cannot accelerate fast enough to cast accurately if you're throwing true 1/16oz or below. If you're swinging it overhead or with a good amount of force while side casting, it works perfectly fine with 1/16oz, but if you're in the bushes with no space to do proper casts, the Cosugi was much better for that.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:30 pm
I had a blue Cosugi works spool for the alphas that i traded for a used metanium mg dc :cry: Wasn't worth it. The lowest i threw was 1.8g. Best bfs spool i've had. With thin braid to fluoro leader that thing was perfect.

On pixy i'm using the PX68 Finesse Special. Awesome spool, but it cannot accelerate fast enough to cast accurately if you're throwing true 1/16oz or below. If you're swinging it overhead or with a good amount of force while side casting, it works perfectly fine with 1/16oz, but if you're in the bushes with no space to do proper casts, the Cosugi was much better for that.
Dang, I'd like to find a friend with that cosugi to try. Id buy that one one ebay to try but I could buy the alphas air or Air Stream custom for that price. I guess you have to pay to play though, so I'll just be reading about the cosugi works spools lol.

With the px68 finesse Special spool did you have the factory bearings or did you upgrade them? I don't plan on trying anything below 1/16 and I'm not sure how much I'd even throw 1/16 but I'd like to try it out. 1/8 total weight seems more realistic with some 3/16 oz thrown in there, but I'd like to attempt to throw some 1/16oz stuff.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 pm

Using the Air BFS bearings from Hedgehog on the Finesse Special. i'm primarely using it for 1/8oz jigheads with a 3" swing impact fats or easyshiners. Works great.

One thing that i was able to do with the Cosugi spool that is very poorly done with the Finesse Special is flipping 2g lures. It was almost like using a spinning setup.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:23 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 pm
Using the Air BFS bearings from Hedgehog on the Finesse Special. i'm primarely using it for 1/8oz jigheads with a 3" swing impact fats or easyshiners. Works great.

One thing that i was able to do with the Cosugi spool that is very poorly done with the Finesse Special is flipping 2g lures. It was almost like using a spinning setup.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

How much did you pay for the cosugi when you had one?

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 pm

About 240? I don't remember the exact amount. Its still to this day the most expensive spool i had.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Tim Kelly wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 am
I have a purple cosugo works spool in my 105SV and it does everything I could ask of it with baits down to a 2" fin s fish on a 1/16 head, which is as far as I want to go. I have it on a speedstyle light power, with the spliced tip and it's a nice versatile outfit with a bit more backbone. My friend Karl found me the spool, no idea where, maybe some Japanese auction site? I was dribbling after using his Alphas KTF, which was utterly faultless and he said he thought the Cosugi spool could work pretty similarly in my SV. It's 99% as good and plenty good enough for me.
Was the ktf spool in his reel the version 2 spool? If you could choose between the 2 spools which would you pick?

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:43 am

I'm not sure, I think the version 1, the shallower version? Karl?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:15 am

Tim Kelly wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:43 am
Tim Kelly wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:21 pm
I've been ruined. Fishing on Sunday with a friend who has a KTF v2 Alphas. I had a few casts and was blown away how good that reel is. Now a KTF Alphas is as rare as hen's teeth and daftly expensive when they do come up, so... Do I try to find a KTF V2 spool for my alphas SV, a megabass zonda finesse spool or a cosagi works one? Any other options? I believe the KTF spool is something like 6g! The zonda is nearly 10g and not sure about the cosagi.
Looks like it was the version 2 spool maybe. Just trying to decide if I should try to get a ktf spool or it's similar enough to the cosugi that I shouldn't bother.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:48 am

I would say they're pretty similar based on my experience, but that KTF was really sweet. Depends how much you're prepared to pay for a very minor improvement. The cosugi is 90% as good as the KTF from my experience.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:55 am

Tim Kelly wrote:
I have the version 2. I think version 1 was a bit deeper. To this day my favourite spool is the version 2 KTF nothing comes close so far. Mr. Sawamura hit a sweet spot with that Alphas. The kosugi works is a great all round finesse spool, but I think the KTf v2 has that little bit of edge to it.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:57 am

Patex wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:55 am
Tim Kelly wrote:
I have the version 2. I think version 1 was a bit deeper. To this day my favourite spool is the version 2 KTF nothing comes close so far. Mr. Sawamura hit a sweet spot with that Alphas. The kosugi works is a great all round finesse spool, but I think the KTf v2 has that little bit of edge to it.
Thanks Karl.