Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:03 am

Thank you very much

ss30378
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by ss30378 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:02 pm

Ive had the chance to play with a lot of bfs spools and still have the cosugi and asc spools. Compared to the moving inductor air spools i get more distance with the fixed inductor setups. I have a micro t-rig that weighs just under 2g that i can send a surprising distance with the ASC (hedgehog air bfs bearings). The cosugi is my weightless 3" senko special spool. With a soft 6-8lb line it will bullet senkos not only a long ways but very accurately as well.

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by lund40 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:25 am

megabass zonda finesse spool is top dog

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:28 am

ss30378 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:02 pm
Ive had the chance to play with a lot of bfs spools and still have the cosugi and asc spools. Compared to the moving inductor air spools i get more distance with the fixed inductor setups. I have a micro t-rig that weighs just under 2g that i can send a surprising distance with the ASC (hedgehog air bfs bearings). The cosugi is my weightless 3" senko special spool. With a soft 6-8lb line it will bullet senkos not only a long ways but very accurately as well.
Thanks for sharing your experience with those spools. I have a couple cosugi spools now but woke up late and missed out on a ktf version 2 for the alphas by 11 cents so I won't be able to compare those yet. I'm thinking I'm just going to stick with the cosugi works spools and if I need to go lighter maybe pick up an ASC in the future.

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:31 am

lund40 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:25 am
megabass zonda finesse spool is top dog
Have you tried the cosugi or ktf

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by lund40 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 am

the cosugi I would love to try not sure where to buy them
not a fan of ported spools I prefer unported fixed rotor spools

ss30378
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by ss30378 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:10 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:28 am
ss30378 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:02 pm
I've had the chance to play with a lot of bfs spools and still have the cosugi and asc spools. Compared to the moving inductor air spools i get more distance with the fixed inductor setups. I have a micro t-rig that weighs just under 2g that i can send a surprising distance with the ASC (hedgehog air bfs bearings). The cosugi is my weightless 3" senko special spool. With a soft 6-8lb line it will bullet senkos not only a long ways but very accurately as well.
Thanks for sharing your experience with those spools. I have a couple cosugi spools now but woke up late and missed out on a ktf version 2 for the alphas by 11 cents so I won't be able to compare those yet. I'm thinking I'm just going to stick with the cosugi works spools and if I need to go lighter maybe pick up an ASC in the future.
The cosugi is a great spool and will work well for all but true UL bfs, plus you have the added line capacity for moving on up to 3/16-1/4oz setups. I added HH air bfs bearings and it helped the cosugi with casting under 1/8oz.

Since you like to tinker, you could also get some spacers for the alphas and run the 32mm ss air spool (the air spools are made by ktf as well) which are a bit more plentiful than the ktf 33mm alphas specific spools. The 32mm should perform the same if not a bit better than the 33mm version.

The rod and line is going to play a big part when trying to get max performance with light lures. I have the majorcraft UL days series rod and its rated down to 1/32oz but my 1/16oz t-rig is its realistic low limit. I can make a lighter lure fly with the rod but accuracy suffers since I'm not loading the rod up when casting. The softer and smoother a line is the better the performance i get with micro lures. Braid is lighter than mono or flouro but if you dont get a soft smooth braid the extra friction going through the guides will offset the lighter weight. I had a custom bfs rod built off a phenix mirage trout blank that loads with the lightest of light lures when I want to test the real limits of a spool.

Currently I'm awaiting a momo 30mm ct bfs spool to arrive which should be a step up above the ASC spool in theory but I'll reserve judgement for when I get to test it right next to the ASC spool.

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:31 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:10 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:28 am
ss30378 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:02 pm
I've had the chance to play with a lot of bfs spools and still have the cosugi and asc spools. Compared to the moving inductor air spools i get more distance with the fixed inductor setups. I have a micro t-rig that weighs just under 2g that i can send a surprising distance with the ASC (hedgehog air bfs bearings). The cosugi is my weightless 3" senko special spool. With a soft 6-8lb line it will bullet senkos not only a long ways but very accurately as well.
Thanks for sharing your experience with those spools. I have a couple cosugi spools now but woke up late and missed out on a ktf version 2 for the alphas by 11 cents so I won't be able to compare those yet. I'm thinking I'm just going to stick with the cosugi works spools and if I need to go lighter maybe pick up an ASC in the future.
The cosugi is a great spool and will work well for all but true UL bfs, plus you have the added line capacity for moving on up to 3/16-1/4oz setups. I added HH air bfs bearings and it helped the cosugi with casting under 1/8oz.

Since you like to tinker, you could also get some spacers for the alphas and run the 32mm ss air spool (the air spools are made by ktf as well) which are a bit more plentiful than the ktf 33mm alphas specific spools. The 32mm should perform the same if not a bit better than the 33mm version.

The rod and line is going to play a big part when trying to get max performance with light lures. I have the majorcraft UL days series rod and its rated down to 1/32oz but my 1/16oz t-rig is its realistic low limit. I can make a lighter lure fly with the rod but accuracy suffers since I'm not loading the rod up when casting. The softer and smoother a line is the better the performance i get with micro lures. Braid is lighter than mono or flouro but if you dont get a soft smooth braid the extra friction going through the guides will offset the lighter weight. I had a custom bfs rod built off a phenix mirage trout blank that loads with the lightest of light lures when I want to test the real limits of a spool.

Currently I'm awaiting a momo 30mm ct bfs spool to arrive which should be a step up above the ASC spool in theory but I'll reserve judgement for when I get to test it right next to the ASC spool.
So would you say the cosugi is best with 1/8-1/4 baits and maybe slightly under with a bearing upgrade? If so that sounds like all I need.

I have a major craft finetail area rod that is a noodle and a major craft msx ul bfs rod that has more backbone but could definitely cast 1/8oz. I have the zonda bfs spool, Zonda honeycomb for a little heavier baits, 3 cosugi spools, alphas finesse custom spool, and a Pixy finesse special spool so I think I'm going to hold off on buying anymore spools for now. I'm going to test the zonda bfs spool, Pixy finesse special,.and the cosugi and then eliminate a few spools from my collection.

Is your custom mirage rod similar to the one Hobie-Wan Kenobi has (I watched his video and it looked like an awesome rod I've just never ordered a custom rod before)

ss30378
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by ss30378 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Yes 1/8-1/4 is the cosugi best performance range. Does well with a little below as well.
Image
My FC
Image
My custom was built by Alex at ALX. 6'1" UL that was themed around the ASC reel. Full cork, pts seat, spiral wrapped micros.

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:33 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:22 pm
Yes 1/8-1/4 is the cosugi best performance range. Does well with a little below as well.
Image
My FC
Image
My custom was built by Alex at ALX. 6'1" UL that was themed around the ASC reel. Full cork, pts seat, spiral wrapped micros.
Are the blue parts hedgehog parts? I'm mostly interested in changing the ring around the cast control cap

ss30378
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:42 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by ss30378 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:59 pm

Yes they are all hedgehog parts including the mechanical brake collar.

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:57 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:59 pm
Yes they are all hedgehog parts including the mechanical brake collar.
That's what that thingy is called lol. That rod looks nice with the full cork grip.

chrisg_sdcf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat May 25, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:48 am

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:22 pm
Yes 1/8-1/4 is the cosugi best performance range. Does well with a little below as well.
Image
My FC
Image
My custom was built by Alex at ALX. 6'1" UL that was themed around the ASC reel. Full cork, pts seat, spiral wrapped micros.
Finally got to try out the cosugi works spool.

I had the cosugi in a alphas finnese custom, the megabass zonda bfs spool in a alphas sv, and the i'ze finnese special spool in a PX68L. All had 4lb p-line fluoroclear and I put them all on the same majorcraft finetail area FAX-B642UL rod. I threw a 1/16 oz rapala original, a 1/8 oz mepps, and a 1/6oz thomas buoyant spoon. So I probably should have used the two alphas spools in the same reel to be fair I guess.

For me (could be different in someone else hands with more experience in bfs or UL trout fishing). The px68l with finesse special spool cast the 1/16 oz rapala the best, followed by the megabass zonda bfs, cosugi was last. They were all able to throw the 1/8oz mepps well. I'd probably have to list them cosugi, then zonda, then ize finesse at 1/8 but they were close enough that I would have been fine with either of them. Then I moved up to the 1/6oz Thomas buoyant spinner. All of the reels casted the best with the 1/6 oz weight obviously but I found that the cosugi was getting the most distance and it was the least likely to overrun or backlash if I really through the lure hard on the cast. The zonda and ize finesse spools were not far behind in distance but if I really whipped the i'ze spool if would blow up. Once I got the zonda bfs spool setup right it was super smooth and had no issues but if I dialed the mag breaks down one click it would fluff up pretty good. Again it could be different in someone more experienced hands.

Ive never used that line before. It was the only one I could find in under 6lb at my local store. The lures I just grabbed based on the werghts. First time using baitcast for trout fishing but I feel it went well and most important, it was a lot of fun.

Also the px68l and sv105 were both tuned by Ian and I was shocked at how smooth they were both on the cast and retrieve. Id recommend his work to anyone looking to get the most out of their reel.

I may pick up a reel that was meant for light lures like the ASC or alphas air just to see how much of a difference there is.

Anyway thanks for all the help everyone.

User avatar
TravisNY
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:07 pm
Location: WV

Re: Pixy vs alphas bfs reel

Post by TravisNY » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:48 pm

[/quote] A Ned rig made from a 1/16oz head and a TRD worm weights right about 3/16oz on the nose and that is about as psychically small as most finesse presentations get.[/quote]

Physically perhaps but they certainly get lighter. A “1/16” plus non leached salt TRD is rather heavy for some of us that also throw 1/32 or 1/20 on non salted or presoaked Z offerings. Finesse ShadZ, TicklerZ, TRD HogZ etc all weigh less than an out of the bag TRD or cut ZinkerZ. A good many 1/16 “Ned heads” are mislabeled.

Sorry to derail from the topic.
In Fisherman Midwest Finesse
Rapala
Simms
ZMan

Post Reply