Jdm 19 Antares & Metanium DC close in price, which one?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jdm 19 Antares & Metanium DC close in price, which one?

Post by Hennessy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Was fortunate to cut a check last week at my regional & figured now is a good time for a new reel . At Digitaka, the 19 Antares is $431 & the Metanium DC is $414. I played with the Metanium dc a few years ago on a topwater setup & when I realized the Metanium mgl was noticeably a farther casting reel I sold it, MAYBE too soon. Reel is going on a nrx 873 for mainly Texas rig 1/4 & 5/16oz plastics, some jigs. Pros & cons to both reels. I suspect the Antares to cast farther, palms better. The DC has the “wine”, lighter, comes in XG model. Price doesn’t come into play, guess it comes down to which throws lighter weights better. Maybe someone has both reels & can chime in or any opinions appreciated.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jdm 19 Antares & Metanium DC close in price, which one?

Post by russ57 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:18 pm

You could hold off until the japanese shows early next year, when a new Met might be unveiled.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:52 pm

It looks like the Metanium holds a bit more line, if longer casts with a heavier fluoro is part of the equation.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:04 am

The spool is larger in diameter on the Antares which is made for heavier lures. The smaller diameter of the Metanium will help with lighter lures. Think big tires on a truck vs. stock tires. It's much easier to get the smaller tires rolling from a dead stop. With that being said the line capacity should be almost identical.

The concept of the taller spool is that more line comes off per rotation allowing for more distance. It shines with heavier lures but most people are not used to casting reels with the taller spool. It is a slightly different cast than the smaller diameter spools that most of our other reels use. The Antares DC should be more adjustable with way more settings. I believe they are still using the 4 x 8 system on the most current DC model. The Metanium uses I-DC 5. Both are adequate, but the Antares should offer better control and more distance with the average lure weights of 3/8+ ounce.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:04 am
The spool is larger in diameter on the Antares which is made for heavier lures. The smaller diameter of the Metanium will help with lighter lures. Think big tires on a truck vs. stock tires. It's much easier to get the smaller tires rolling from a dead stop. With that being said the line capacity should be almost identical.

The concept of the taller spool is that more line comes off per rotation allowing for more distance. It shines with heavier lures but most people are not used to casting reels with the taller spool. It is a slightly different cast than the smaller diameter spools that most of our other reels use. The Antares DC should be more adjustable with way more settings. I believe they are still using the 4 x 8 system on the most current DC model. The Metanium uses I-DC 5. Both are adequate, but the Antares should offer better control and more distance with the average lure weights of 3/8+ ounce.
I think he was asking about the size 70 spool Antares, the DC is way beyond the $ 431 he‘s referring to.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Really liking my 2019 Antares MGL.. works great with 1/4 which is much more versatile than my older generation Antares hg.

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:25 pm

dennis_rf wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:22 pm
Bantam1 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:04 am

I think he was asking about the size 70 spool Antares, the DC is way beyond the $ 431 he‘s referring to.
Yeah the non dc Antares model