Isn't it crazy that some Daiwa platforms are almost 20y old and still in production?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Isn't it crazy that some Daiwa platforms are almost 20y old and still in production?

Post by SSS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:47 pm

We still have the Alphas which came out in what? 2002? the CT just came out in 2019. Same platform *minus the 30mm spool* for so long. Same with the Millionaire. There are no other brands that stick to their beloved frames like Daiwa does.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Isn't it crazy that some Daiwa platforms are almost 20y old and still in production?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Or they just keep the same frame to cheap out. That way, they can keep profit margins where they want them.

I understand the whole "aint broke dont fix it" idea but, come on. The T3 AIR was a joke to me. The reel performed very well but, it couldnt be smaller? Most of the R&D was done from previous jobs (T3 1016, Ballistic...). They did some refinement and charged an arm and a leg for it. Even the SV Light LTD, use an SS AIR frame with some different colors and a carbon handle. Yes, the spool is different but, same dimensions fit-wise. They can at least reflect the cost savings into the price for the reels they pull out old blueprints and make a couple of small changes to.

Daiwa is still my go-to brand but, they have to do something. The Steez CT is a VERY nice frame. Seeing that trickle down would be nice. The CT frame should be the new Daiwa standard. May need a little tweaking for the bigger spools but, the frame is so nice. I understand everyone has preferences.

For the OG Alphas and Zillion frames, they did the revamp via the SV103 and SV105. Would be great to have them make a run on some of their most popular frames from the past like every 5 years or so. That way, people get the old school stuff they like Daiwa can still evolve their products.

Shimano manages to to quite well with their lineups most are new or refreshed enough to have a whole new experience. I dont like the lack of spool compatibility though, like many Daiwa's are capable of.

Like I said, I love Daiwa reels. I know they got crap about calling the 1516 and SV versions of the Zillion, Zillions but, they were changing things. A name is just a name but, hopefully they try new things coming up. A "Zillion" with an aluminium Steez CT frame...
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Isn't it crazy that some Daiwa platforms are almost 20y old and still in production?

Post by SSS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:29 pm

Steez CT frame zillion with a 34mm spool would be nice for sure

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:43 am

I don't want no stinkin finesse CT frame for my Zillion. [-(
I'll take a brass geared Steez A as a Zillion though. Just axe the Steez A and throw a brass main gear in it for $300 as a Zillion with better knobs already.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:01 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:43 am
I don't want no stinkin finesse CT frame for my Zillion. [-(
I'll take a brass geared Steez A as a Zillion though. Just axe the Steez A and throw a brass main gear in it for $300 as a Zillion with better knobs already.
I love Daiwa, but they don't listen to us. Nothing they have done in the last 10 years has been for experienced angler. The CT frame was better than the 100 frame for Tat's and Zillion (SV Model), but other than that the tech has been low compared to what they are capable of. The last local rep I spoke to is a dullard. He doesn't know new models or plays dumb. He doesn't know past models like Alphas/Sol or TDZ/Zillion and laughed when I said Pixy because he thought it was a dumb name and didn't know about the Liberto Pixy. I had to tell them that the PX was somehow short for Pixy and he just said I will have to take your word for it.He has no idea about aftermarket JDM parts and pimps the SV as if it is the end all be all for reels. I like it, but now there is a Shimano SLX DC. How is Daiwa trying to compete? No answers. :-({|= :cry:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:09 am

Part of the reason many of the reel manufacturers change frame design after 3-5 years is because the tooling to create these frames and sideplates becomes worn and loses tolerance. So instead of just replacing that tooling, why not invest in ways (or perceived ways) to improve it and refresh the lineup?

There are two sides to every coin ;)

Daiwa may still be using the Alphas platform in some of their reels, but they also discontinued the original, and most beloved purple Alphas after only two years.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 am

Finnz922 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:01 am
The last local rep I spoke to is a dullard. He doesn't know new models or plays dumb. He doesn't know past models like Alphas/Sol or TDZ/Zillion...
When Shimano made the decision to bring the Metanium over from Japan and announced this decision at ICAST one year, the celebrity pro-staff/MC they had on hand to make the announcement touted the Metanium as a new reel. I just cringed and lost what little respect I have for many of these people who do not know/understand or care to invest time in learning some of the background.
Cal, Managing Editor

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:21 am

Finnz922 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:01 am

I love Daiwa, but they don't listen to us...
That's because they won't sell if they only cater to a niche audience, which we are.
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 am

Cal wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 am
When Shimano made the decision to bring the Metanium over from Japan and announced this decision at ICAST one year, the celebrity pro-staff/MC they had on hand to make the announcement touted the Metanium as a new reel. I just cringed and lost what little respect I have for many of these people who do not know/understand or care to invest time in learning some of the background.
Technically it was new to them ;) You view it through a global lens. At that time we didn't have a global strategy like we do now. You have to remember at that time or a few years before, the Metanium shared tooling with the Chronarch and Core reels of the past. This was back when all casting reels had a name that started with a "C". Metanium was a departure from the naming convention for the past 30 years. The MET we released in late 2013 which was a new model in Japan in early '13. So technically it was still a "new" model reel.

Sorry to post in this but I was compelled since Cal brought us up.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Daiwa has always been able to produce reels that palm as well, or better than other manufacturers in my hands. I think that this holds true for the majority of other people also. This is the first thing that comes to mind when I think about the longevity of many of their platforms. Long term durability is also a big factor in their platforms being produced for a long time.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm

I agree with Cal and Maverick. The Alphas is just a great platform that people really enjoy. No need to change the footprint, just keep dumping newer, better tech in it. I'd like to see a new frame as well, but I also feel the Steez SV TW was the money shot. With so many tuning options, we can all still create a one of a kind. Where Daiwa let's me down a bit is with their paint schemes and such. Black or silver - What ever happened to the original Alphas, Sol, etc. like colors? I don't mind seeing 250 different Alphas, but give me some variety in color.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:31 pm

Bantam1 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 am
Sorry to post in this but I was compelled since Cal brought us up.
Dude... post anywhere, anytime you like! ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:35 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm
I agree with Cal and Maverick. The Alphas is just a great platform that people really enjoy. No need to change the footprint, just keep dumping newer, better tech in it. I'd like to see a new frame as well, but I also feel the Steez SV TW was the money shot. With so many tuning options, we can all still create a one of a kind. Where Daiwa let's me down a bit is with their paint schemes and such. Black or silver - What ever happened to the original Alphas, Sol, etc. like colors? I don't mind seeing 250 different Alphas, but give me some variety in color.
My thoughts exactly Hog!

Agree 100 percent about the watered down looks of Daiwa reels now. Mainly silver, black, grey in color. Really wish there were some limited releases of reels with neat colors like the days of old. Why not re-work that ITO green paint in somewhere? What about another white reel or yellow?

I too would like to see them keep one current production reel that uses the 34 mm spool. Preferably a nicer reel like a Zillion or Steez.

When it comes to handles I feel like any reel over $350-400 should come standard with a CF handle Like the Zillion Type R, Pixy type R, Pixy 68, etc.
Last edited by Fishing4Fun on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:04 pm
I agree. Most of my favorite reels, based on looks, are the more colorful ones. TD Fuego, TD Sol, Pixy's, TD Ito 103, some of the megabass reels. I like Some of the red/black/silver combos but after a while they all start to look the same. Love looking at some of the custom painted reels, especially some of the white ones.

Im sure it would be too much of a hassle and cost too much but wouldn't it be awesome if you could go to the manufacturers website and pick a platform you like and then customize the paint/accents, gear ratio, t-wing or standard line guide, which spool you want, bearings, etc.
Kind of like buying a vehicle or compound bow (put a few bows together this last year so it's fresh in my mind).

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:11 am

on the spinning side, the SS whiskers (the black and gold ones) are still in production and I believe are unchanged since the mid to late 80s.

thats almost 40 years now.