Quantum Smoke S3

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Quantum Smoke S3

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:10 am

Anybody mess with the new Smoke S3 yet? Been kinda curious about the reel. I know its a China market reel, but seems somewhat decent for what you can get them for. I have used the Vapor before, and it was a decent reel for what I paid for it, and a good casting reel as well.
<")))><{

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Quantum Smoke S3

Post by fishballer06 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:15 am

I bought one on the cheap, cheap to check it out (the tour s3 version). Had every intention of using it because it seemed like a cool reel for the money. Ended up not using it and wanting something else, so I sold it before I ever used it. From just handling it, it seemed like a decent reel.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:13 am

I wouldn't buy a Smoke S3 when I can have a better reel for half the price.
I have been waiting to share this for someone else to open a Quantum thread.
I found two Vapor reels on Ebay, and got them for $75+-.
The brass main gear from a Quantum Icon fits them perfectly, so I bought two gears for $5 plus shipping, and wound up with an 6.9 oz.,11 bearing reel with brass gears and a larger capacity spool, externally adjusted centrifugal brakes, for $85.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:18 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:13 am
The brass main gear from a Quantum Icon fits them perfectly, so I bought two gears for $5 plus shipping, and wound up with an 6.9 oz.,11 bearing reel with brass gears and a larger capacity spool, externally adjusted centrifugal brakes, for $85.
I had the Vapor as well, and it was a great little reel. One of the reasons I wanted to try the Smoke. I ended up finding the Smoke PT in a 7.3 for $90. Aluminum frame and sideplate, and the specs are pretty much the same as the Vapor in a sense, but this has a slightly deeper spool. They are asking too much for the S3 reels, but maybe they will start to go down. I wont pay over $100.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:18 am
mark poulson wrote:
I had the Vapor as well, and it was a great little reel. One of the reasons I wanted to try the Smoke. I ended up finding the Smoke PT in a 7.3 for $90. Aluminum frame and sideplate, and the specs are pretty much the same as the Vapor in a sense, but this has a slightly deeper spool. They are asking too much for the S3 reels, but maybe they will start to go down. I wont pay over $100.
That's why I jumped on the Vapor reels at $75+-.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:02 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
I dont think the Vapor has an aluminum sideplate. One of the things that attracted me to the Smoke...well that and the coloration and asthetics of the Smoke I think makes it a great looking reel overall.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:02 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:02 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:41 pm
LgMouthGambler wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
I dont think the Vapor has an aluminum sideplate. One of the things that attracted me to the Smoke...well that and the coloration and asthetics of the Smoke I think makes it a great looking reel overall.
You're right. I just went down and checked one of the Vapor reels I have, and the none handle side plate is plastic. I didn't open it up all the way to check the handle side plate. Too lazy!

I'm with you, I won't pay over $100 for a reel. I've owned these two Vapor reels for two months now, and use them on my homemade 34 gram whopper plopper setups. I have thrown them hard for several hours straight several times a week (because the plopper bite is so much fun when they do hit it), and they have held up great. They are still smooth, and pull fish out of the grass with ease. Plus, they have more line capacity than the original Smoke Burners, which I have and love. Using a 7'4" Smoke frog rod I could spool my Burner reel with 50 lb braid on it, but the Vapor has enough extra capacity to keep that from happening.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:50 am

I got the Smoke PT in the mail yesterday, and have to say, Im quite impressed. Tolerances are pretty tight, movements are smooth, clutch engage/disengage is solid feeling. Hoping to get it out on the water a bit this weekend, as well as a few other Korean OEM reels that I have accumulated. Waiting on a new BB1 to get to me possibly today.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:29 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:50 am
I got the Smoke PT in the mail yesterday, and have to say, Im quite impressed. Tolerances are pretty tight, movements are smooth, clutch engage/disengage is solid feeling. Hoping to get it out on the water a bit this weekend, as well as a few other Korean OEM reels that I have accumulated. Waiting on a new BB1 to get to me possibly today.
Let us know how it fishes.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:59 pm

I got some time on the water with this reel today. I took a Lews BB1, a BPS JM Platinum Signature, and a Abu Gen4 Revo S. I have to say, the Smoke was my favorite out of all of them. Casting, retrieving, pitching, and everything was smooth as silk. So good that I went on Ebay again to check out a Speed Freak version. I managed to grab that for $10 cheaper than I got the 7.3 for. :lol:
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:59 pm
I got some time on the water with this reel today. I took a Lews BB1, a BPS JM Platinum Signature, and a Abu Gen4 Revo S. I have to say, the Smoke was my favorite out of all of them. Casting, retrieving, pitching, and everything was smooth as silk. So good that I went on Ebay again to check out a Speed Freak version. I managed to grab that for $10 cheaper than I got the 7.3 for. :lol:
Good for you! I'm glad the reel is a winner.
I just got the BPS catalog, and it shows a KVD Smoke S3 for $149. Only 9 bearings, but it has a bayonet cover, as well as the externally adjusted centrifugal brakes. Not my cup of tea, but interesting.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:30 am

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:14 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
I just got the BPS catalog, and it shows a KVD Smoke S3 for $149. Only 9 bearings, but it has a bayonet cover, as well as the externally adjusted centrifugal brakes. Not my cup of tea, but interesting.
The S3 is a totally different platform than the PT I have. Its a Chinese model as opposed to the Korean model I have. I will eventually grab one of them to compare, but not anytime soon. The brake system is pretty much the same, and its quite neat as to how it works. Very simple to use.
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 am

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:30 am
mark poulson wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
The S3 is a totally different platform than the PT I have. Its a Chinese model as opposed to the Korean model I have. I will eventually grab one of them to compare, but not anytime soon. The brake system is pretty much the same, and its quite neat as to how it works. Very simple to use.
I look forward to hearing about the new brake system.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:15 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
And here I thought YOU were gonna take the plunge this time. :lol:
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:31 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:15 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:38 am
LgMouthGambler wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:
And here I thought YOU were gonna take the plunge this time. :lol:
I am cautious and cheap. Once I've read your reviews, I'll wait until they are marked down 50%. ;)