DC Reels: Curado and Metanium for Steelhead / Cohos?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

DC Reels: Curado and Metanium for Steelhead / Cohos?

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:31 pm

I’m thinking I’d like to try a Shimano DC reel for spoons and spinners. Are these reels viable options for say as low as 2/5oz with both braid and mono? The spoons are very aerodynamic, obviously, but spinners can catch wind pretty good at times. I generally use spinners in various weights and blades Sz 4-6 and 1/4oz-1/2oz. Spoons, I’m at 2/5oz & 2/3oz, heavy emphasis on the lighter 2/5oz. If I go lighter on the spoons, I have no problem switching over to a spinning reel for 1/4oz-1/3oz offerings. If the DC reels can handle those lighter offerings, I’d take it though!

Or is a SV Daiwa the answer here? I’m drawn to Shimano DC for bomb casting big water, which is primarily where I use hardware anyway.

Thanks in advance guys!

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: DC Reels: Curado and Metanium for Steelhead / Cohos?

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:16 pm

What pound test do you usually run? Line capacity may be an issue with mono if those fish take big runs. They may be OK with braid though.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:58 pm

Up to 12lb mono. I see what you mean. I like braid first, but there are times the drift and action with mono just works. Plus mono below freezing is a must in the Great Lakes.

I’ve been using Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 Carrier for all my braid needs and Sufix Advance for all my mono needs for the past year.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:41 pm

I hear ya on braid and frozen temps. Shimano used to make a Calcutta DC 250 that may be worth a search.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:50 am

I need a Tranx 300 DC...

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:22 pm

I'm not sure a DC reel is necessary for those fish and your gear, been using both for 50 years and even then I could throw baits and lures further than I could fish them effectively. A 9 1/2 - 10 ft. medium drift will easily throw lures over to the other bank on an awful lot of our rivers with a Curado 201 with 12 lb. test. I can effectively fish spinners down to size 2 with my Curado.