—Daiwa Catalina TW 4.9:1–

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: —Daiwa Catalina TW 4.9:1–

Post by Craiger12 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:43 pm
Craiger12 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:46 pm
Can anyone comment on any 8:1 or 9:1 gear sets available that will work with this reel?? I just purchased a pair of the LH 7.3:1 version from TTT and I'm looking to speed one of them up. Thanks.
I did test the Zillion TWS 9.1 gears in the 4.9 Catalina. The gears physically fit. I did not really try to make it work. I am sure some washer swaps would be needed. I can try in the next couple days to how to get it work.
I really appreciate it, but don't put too much effort in on my account alone.

I'm wondering if the 8.1:1 gears from the Zillion TW HD would fit since it is a similar platform? I think this would be the sweet spot for me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:13 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:
Can anyone comment on any 8:1 or 9:1 gear sets available that will work with this reel?? I just purchased a pair of the LH 7.3:1 version from TTT and I'm looking to speed one of them up. Thanks.
I did test the Zillion TWS 9.1 gears in the 4.9 Catalina. The gears physically fit. I did not really try to make it work. I am sure some washer swaps would be needed. I can try in the next couple days to how to get it work.

I'm wondering if the 8.1:1 gears from the Zillion TW HD would fit since it is a similar platform? I think this would be the sweet spot for me.
Does the HD have a clicking drag? The washers/drag are different in the Catalina vs the regular Zillion TWS because of it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:19 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:35 pm
Craiger12 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:

Does the HD have a clicking drag? The washers/drag are different in the Catalina vs the regular Zillion TWS because of it.
Good question. I don't see it advertised anywhere so I would assume that it does not? I suppose that would be a problem.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:52 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:19 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:35 pm
Craiger12 wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:

Good question. I don't see it advertised anywhere so I would assume that it does not? I suppose that would be a problem.
Not a problem, just an obstacle you'd have to work around like changing washers and such
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:08 am

Looks like I might also be picking up a new Zillion TW HD in 8.1:1. I just wish it had a shallower spool. Seems like there's not a lot of first hand experience out there with the Zillion.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:01 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:48 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:11 am
How do the two differ in braking profile? The HD is fixed inductor and the Catalina is Magforce Z, correct?
Correct - the new Zillion HD has a fixed inductor and Catalina TW is Magforce Z. Both are very capable casters but the Zillion HD has a more consistent, controlled feel all the way through the cast due to the fixed inductor. The Catalina TW handles some of the lighter baits I've thrown on it (3/8 oz range) a little better overall, but is still an excellent performer with up to 2 oz (umbrella rigs, swim baits). The Catalina TW feels to be a more free, longer casting reel, but with that comes a bit more thumb control when compared to Zillion HD. I haven't found it to be difficult to control at all.
Can you comment on if the spools are interchangeable and how this maybe change the casting characteristics? I'm a novice when it comes to these things. I just purchased the Catalina TW and I'm interested in the Zillion HD. Wondering if I can swap the spools. Thanks.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:26 pm

Craiger12 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:01 pm
bronzefly wrote:
LowRange wrote:
How do the two differ in braking profile? The HD is fixed inductor and the Catalina is Magforce Z, correct?
Correct - the new Zillion HD has a fixed inductor and Catalina TW is Magforce Z. Both are very capable casters but the Zillion HD has a more consistent, controlled feel all the way through the cast due to the fixed inductor. The Catalina TW handles some of the lighter baits I've thrown on it (3/8 oz range) a little better overall, but is still an excellent performer with up to 2 oz (umbrella rigs, swim baits). The Catalina TW feels to be a more free, longer casting reel, but with that comes a bit more thumb control when compared to Zillion HD. I haven't found it to be difficult to control at all.
Can you comment on if the spools are interchangeable and how this maybe change the casting characteristics? I'm a novice when it comes to these things. I just purchased the Catalina TW and I'm interested in the Zillion HD. Wondering if I can swap the spools. Thanks.
I have not attempted any upgrades or spool swaps with the Catalina TW. I have been very pleased with the performance in stock form and have been pretty busy "testing out" a lot of new gear lately. I know that Bryan, chief reel tech at The Tackle Trap has done some modification to the Catalina and he may know the answer. You are welcome to call the shop and ask for him if you like. I also have the Zillion HD and would agree with the comments by LowRange on his perception of both reels.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:23 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:26 pm
Craiger12 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
LowRange wrote:
I have not attempted any upgrades or spool swaps with the Catalina TW. I have been very pleased with the performance in stock form and have been pretty busy "testing out" a lot of new gear lately. I know that Bryan, chief reel tech at The Tackle Trap has done some modification to the Catalina and he may know the answer. You are welcome to call the shop and ask for him if you like. I also have the Zillion HD and would agree with the comments by LowRange on his perception of both reels.
Thanks. I will likely call the shop when I get a chance tomorrow.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:52 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:23 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
LowRange wrote:
The Zillion HD spool will drop into the Catalina TW without any issue. With the fixed inductor it’s will smooth out the braking curve, and allow for more consistent performance with varying conditions. I do feel the stock spool is very capable of throwing most baits over 1/2 ounce with ease. One additional benefit of the Zillion HD spool is the added line capacity.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:01 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:52 am
Craiger12 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:23 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:

The Zillion HD spool will drop into the Catalina TW without any issue. With the fixed inductor it’s will smooth out the braking curve, and allow for more consistent performance with varying conditions. I do feel the stock spool is very capable of throwing most baits over 1/2 ounce with ease. One additional benefit of the Zillion HD spool is the added line capacity.
Thank you for this. Unfortunately, I just don't need that added line capacity. I think I'll be going in a different direction with this.