Daiwa Project T 2020

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa Project T 2020

Post by iabass8 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:56 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:13 pm
johnD wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:55 pm
I'd really like to hear what the haters actually want out of daiwa ? :-k
It seems we have some keyboard commando engineers among us...
What do I want personally? Anything but red and black....that's just so tired. And how about different porting, instead of copying the Fuego CT pattern? More generally, can Daiwa make a reel in a color other than black? Geez, it's like they bought a bulk tanker of paint and are trying to use it up. I actually like black reels, but they have went a little overboard imho.
To add to this...I'd like at the very least to have each series get it's own handle instead of just recycling the OG boxcar tatula handle that came out years ago and putting it on everything. It looks tacky. Same thing /w the drag star. The zaion is great but at least put some color accent or writing on it FFS. Something unique to each series..like the zillion Type R star.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:28 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:56 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:13 pm
johnD wrote:
What do I want personally? Anything but red and black....that's just so tired. And how about different porting, instead of copying the Fuego CT pattern? More generally, can Daiwa make a reel in a color other than black? Geez, it's like they bought a bulk tanker of paint and are trying to use it up. I actually like black reels, but they have went a little overboard imho.
To add to this...I'd like at the very least to have each series get it's own handle instead of just recycling the OG boxcar tatula handle that came out years ago and putting it on everything. It looks tacky. Same thing /w the drag star. The zaion is great but at least put some color accent or writing on it FFS. Something unique to each series..like the zillion Type R star.
That reminds me- at $645, that Steez Air should have a real aluminum drag star and a carbon fiber handle, maybe some cork knobs, too. The Air Stream Custom got a c/f handle w/ corks and it is less than half of the Steez Air's reported retail price. The Steez legacy deserves much better than this new Steez Air delivers.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:56 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:37 am

I've palmed the Tatula 100 at my local BPS and it actually palms really good. I hear they are Steez TW SV size but I don't have one so it is more like an Alphas to me.
I have held one in the store and it's more Alphas-like then Steez TW SV-like, which is good imho. I was thinking about picking one of the 8.1 Tat100 reels up to use on a frog rod but I might wait and see how the SV version shakes out.

What frame is the new Zillion10 build on? I am losing track of all the new(ish) frames they are using now.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:09 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:56 pm
LowRange wrote:

I've palmed the Tatula 100 at my local BPS and it actually palms really good. I hear they are Steez TW SV size but I don't have one so it is more like an Alphas to me.
I have held one in the store and it's more Alphas-like then Steez TW SV-like, which is good imho. I was thinking about picking one of the 8.1 Tat100 reels up to use on a frog rod but I might wait and see how the SV version shakes out.

What frame is the new Zillion10 build on? I am losing track of all the new(ish) frames they are using now.
The same frame as the current Zillion SV TW.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:20 pm

joekaz wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:09 pm
Houndfish wrote:

The same frame as the current Zillion SV TW.
[/quote]

Ah, too bad! Thanks!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:22 pm

For the most part, current Daiwa reels keep me satisfied. They can't all be winners I suppose. But, I'm sick of the same paint schemes and colors. We used to get carbon handles on higher end models, but now, at 600 plus, we get the same recycled crap... Again and again. These new spool sizes kinda kill the fun, and are lining Daiwas pockets, as their just aren't many alternatives out there yet. The Zaion drag star is well played out. Even limited models are getting it. Just design a new carbon handle, make a yellow reel... That's all it would take to get the enthusiastic blood flowing again. Bring back the personal order custom colors to a JDM reel. Just do something other than giving me less for more. We all know the Tdz isn't coming back, so maybe it's time to make another iconic reel. Daiwa knows it would sell. It's all getting a little stale imo. The Steez SV TW was a homerun as far as I'm concerned, but outside of that? They should have also kept the SV103 moving along. I'd still like to see an aluminum T3 without the hood. Give me a new carbon handle and some color options - I'm all in. Don't forget the 3D braking though please.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:57 pm

Houndfish wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Same as it is currently. A super free Tatula CT.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:13 pm

johnD wrote:
My gripe about the new Tatula SV is that is less visually exciting as the old model when it came out. The old model has unique porting in the frame and color parts with the locking plate, mag dial and cc knob that gave the reel a higher end look and feel for $200. The new ones uses the same frame porting as the Tatula Elites and same cc knob. It also has ugly black plastic locking plates. I would have love to have seen Daiwa build upon the high end appearance of the current Tatula SV with the new one by:

Color engine plate cover
Color steez like zero adjuster cc knob
Color locking plate
Color mag dial
Unique frame porting
Lose the tribal spider

A Steez-esque engine plate cover and zero adjuster knob with the high end paint would have really made the reel stand out a high end Tatula. Maybe they could have added a 9:1 Tatula SV exclusive ratio to further incentivise sales. Instead we get a shiny paint Tatula Elite (still don't match the rods wtf Daiwa) with an SV spool.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:01 am

Between the boring looks, and TWS, I've stopped even looking at Daiwa as a possible purchase. [-(
<")))><{

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 am

I am seeing a lot of “we get this and we get that”.
Unless you are in Japan... you haven’t gotten anything yet.
The Australian crowd gets something different.
The USDM models haven’t even been released yet.
Sure you can order from Japan.
My guess is the Steez Air is a Japan release only
And they appear to be satisfied with what us Americans are fickle about.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:49 pm

johnD wrote:
The main thing I ask is for Daiwa to ditch the protruding mag dial. Use the Steez CT style palm plate on all there reels. I care about comfort a lot more than looks. When I am fishing I don't stare at my reels all day. I also despise ported thumb rests. They may look kind of cool but my thumb hates them. I like a smooth flat surface.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:05 am

E73Bass wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 am
The last time Daiwa attempted to bring JDM design to the States, it ended up in the TW overstock page. How quickly they forget :whistle:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:19 am

Johnny A wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:05 am
E73Bass wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:01 am
The last time Daiwa attempted to bring JDM design to the States, it ended up in the TW overstock page. How quickly they forget :whistle:
What reel?

I see TW have some JDM reels once in a while. I just figured they bought a bunch to sell. They always have their JDM reels way after they are released in Japan
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:28 am

He didn't say JDM reels, JDM design reels. Z200, Zillion and pixy type-r. Oh yea they moved so well, Daiwa NA won't forget that.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:31 am

4g63power wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:28 am
He didn't say JDM reels, JDM design reels. Z200, Zillion and pixy type-r. Oh yea they moved so well, Daiwa NA won't forget that.
Those are JDM reels only except the Zillion -R.
They were never found on the USDM Daiwa website.

All Daiwa reels are JDM designed.
Daiwa is a Japanese based company