Suggestions for some new reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Suggestions for some new reels

Post by Senkobass1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 am

Hello to all on Tackletour,
I am planning a trip to Japan with my family and was hoping to get a few suggestions on some new reels. I am mainly a Shimano user, and am fishing the new Metaniums, 17 Exsence DC, Core 100 and 50, etc. I recently have been finding myself being tempted to the Dark side (aka Daiwa) and wanted to pick up a few more reels, either used or new. I have done my research, and have found that the TD-Z , Steez, ZIllion, Pixy, Alphas, and a few others have been the most sought after reels. If possible, can some of you guys chime in and make me a list of all the most sought after reels? I am a bass fisherman, and am looking for reels for any application, from BFS to Swimbaits. I just want to get a feel for the true gems i should buy. Old or new, it doesn't matter :D Thanks in advance!

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Suggestions for some new reels

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:46 am

Over the years, my favorites would have to be (in no particular order):

Td-ito (TD-Z) with 6.3:1 brass gears, stock or TD-Z R spool (14-16lb shooter, Senkos or spinnerbaits)

Zillion Type R with 100m spool (20lb shooter, pitching jigs or 4-6" swimbaits)

FX68 (Megabass T3 MX), 8.1:1 brass gears, SV1000 spool (19lb defier, topwaters or lipless crankbaits)

I've owned multiple reels in each series over the years and after trying multiple spools in every reel, these are my favorites. I also mentioned what I like to use the reels for. I've used, but don't own any tws reels other than my T3's. Btw, the R and 100m spools are very fast, one bad cast and you'll need to respool.

Also, I feel spool swaps are a must. If we're talking stock reels, my list will be different.

Not sure if this helps. I wouldn't consider these the most sought after reels.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks! It helps a lot. I’m a gear junky and love to collect and fish all reels. Appreciate the feedback and will look for a few itos if I can find them:)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:01 pm

No list would be complete without an Alphas variant. I like the Alphas SV 105SH and the Finesse Custom. The Alphas R Edition is a sweet reel, but needs 6.8 or 7.2 gears to bring it up to date with current offerings.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:43 pm

No harm in branching out. My collection is about 40 percent Shimano and 60 percent Daiwa. How many reels are you wanting to obtain and is their a sad budget? From your current fleet is appears you are sampling some of Shimanos finest offerings.

I don’t swimbait so I will let others handle that...

From Finesse to more general heavier duty bass I would look for:

1. A Pixy variant - many to choose from lots of fun colors too.
2. An Alphas variant.
3. Steez variant - could go old school or something newer
4. TDZ variant- get one you like the look of as you can always change the spool later
5. OG Zillion variant or SV103

That would cover most good ones. Now of course you have MB variants on the above platforms as well as limited edition reels with unique tuning or parts.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:21 am

Budget is around 2000-2500. I’m a college student who has been saving for this trip for a while lol. I’m planning on buying a few used zpi z prides (need to complete the metanium collection) and then branching out to Daiwa. I’m aiming to be 50/50 Daiwa-Shimano. The only Daiwa I had is the tatula, and it just didn’t impress me. I think it was that damn spider logo on it lol :lol:

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:58 pm

My GF was actually quite impressed by the spider logo. As a matter of fact it it what drew her to the reel. It’s her Daiwa “Tarantula” as she calls it.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:50 am

In your situation I would recommend being honest with yourself about what you need/want reels to do for you application wise, how many you actually want to buy quantity wise, and then do as much research as you can on availability of reels online (FB, eBay, message boards, etc) and spend your efforts and money on a few JDM-only reels you’re not going to be able to easily find otherwise. Even if it’s just one special reel to remember your trip. I’m not a collector and I see a lot of young guys racking up huge amounts of equipment they don’t honestly use. Which is fine for ppl with a collector passion but that’s not for me personally. I’d rather have a few ultra high end combos to cover my actual fishing than 100+ combos. You’d be amazed in how you can apply your budget if you reduce the overall quantity of gear you buy.

As for reels I’d find some of the really cool, rare Megabass Daiwa variants (Lin10, Monoblock, and all the crazy low profile options) because pretty much anything stock Shimano, Daiwa, etc etc can all be easily ordered online from anywhere in the world.

My 2 cents.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:24 am

Cranky wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:50 am
In your situation I would recommend being honest with yourself about what you need/want reels to do for you application wise, how many you actually want to buy quantity wise, and then do as much research as you can on availability of reels online (FB, eBay, message boards, etc) and spend your efforts and money on a few JDM-only reels you’re not going to be able to easily find otherwise. Even if it’s just one special reel to remember your trip. I’m not a collector and I see a lot of young guys racking up huge amounts of equipment they don’t honestly use. Which is fine for ppl with a collector passion but that’s not for me personally. I’d rather have a few ultra high end combos to cover my actual fishing than 100+ combos. You’d be amazed in how you can apply your budget if you reduce the overall quantity of gear you buy.

As for reels I’d find some of the really cool, rare Megabass Daiwa variants (Lin10, Monoblock, and all the crazy low profile options) because pretty much anything stock Shimano, Daiwa, etc etc can all be easily ordered online from anywhere in the world.

My 2 cents.
I had a similar thought and agree with this completely. Nearly everything now is accessible online and doing considerable homework prior to investing is best. But in Japan you might be able to find a older model, out of production monoblock sitting in some small shop that has not sold. This would be a great keepsake from a trip and also would be an incredible reel to fish with if chose to do so.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The reason I will get some of these reels is because a lot of the reels on eBay are a bit over priced compared to the yen conversion rate. Plus, I like to inspect the reels by hand instead of over the Internet. I’ve been to Japan before, and Tackleberry shops will have all sorts of gems, new, used, discontinued, you name it.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:19 am

You say you like to handle the reels before you buy them.
I believe the proper term for that is fondle. ;)

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:31 am

Lol. I think of these reels as jewels, as opposed to just tools. They are part of my collection. So mainly I got that the TDZ ito, type r, and type r+, alphas, and Pixy’s are a must. How is the OG Steez? I saw them everywhere in Japan for super low prices. Thought it would be a worthy edition to my collection since it rivaled the cores.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Senkobass1 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:31 am
Lol. I think of these reels as jewels, as opposed to just tools. They are part of my collection. So mainly I got that the TDZ ito, type r, and type r+, alphas, and Pixy’s are a must. How is the OG Steez? I saw them everywhere in Japan for super low prices. Thought it would be a worthy edition to my collection since it rivaled the cores.
I still have an OG Steez in my collection. Its not going anywhere. If you can find a nice one for under $200 USD, it's very much worth it.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:56 am

The Namiki LTD Steez is quite exceptional