2020 Zillion 10

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 2020 Zillion 10

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:35 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:11 pm
When people buy these reels - does anyone actually consider getting them pre serviced? It would avoid the issues of things gumming up and corroding.
This is something I hadn’t considered. In my case, it may only become an issue of need if/when I begin fishing salt. I am a life long fresh water angler but I happen to live in a destination state for other people because it is surrounded by salt water. I also have a lot of buddies where all they fish is salt. So, I’m invited on these trips regularly. Usually it’s a “no need to bring gear” deal because they have me covered or I’m paying a guide service. Sometimes when I go inshore solo with a family trip, I have to bring a set up. On these occasions, I’m just wetting a line. I simply can’t be near that much water with fish swimming in it and not fish. Life gets in the way of thinking about these things and often I can’t even get my act together to have the correct baits with me much less have my gear properly protected for these trips. I keep telling my wife about that full time personal assistant I really need to hire, but she won’t go for it :D So when these trips come up, I’m usually last minute packing looking at my reels and asking myself, which one am I designating as the beater reel after this trip? Or which one is the current beater that I can sacrifice/will care least about giving it the salty experience. I also look at the reels capabilities for being able to give it the salty experience. If I remember the daiwa Japan site, the zillion sv tw is salt capable, while they designate the zillion 10 as fresh water specific.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:47 am

Honest to God - have taken my reel "servicing hat" off and put my "fisho to fisho" deep and meaningful hat on - get your reel pre loved with decent greases and a good application of a water shedding grease on all internal surfaces and you'll have a longer lasting reel, if not for the performance gains, but the ability to shed water and stop dissimilar anodic corrosion.

Have the bearings flushed of the sneeze of OE grease they use and get them properly greased and oiled with a corrosion mitigating oil etc - small things.

I keep harping on about it but as a honest to God statement and after seeing how bad this Antares DC MD is (in my desk) from saltwater use and water ingress and corrosion because it was drier than a you know what, it's pretty trashed and in need of a lot of love and a new frame / spool etc in very short time, but and at a very big cost...

You can't proof a reel against the affects of the saltwater environment and ingress - but you can insure it for the short term against the starting of corrosion untill it's looked at.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:43 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:47 am
Honest to God - have taken my reel "servicing hat" off and put my "fisho to fisho" deep and meaningful hat on - get your reel pre loved with decent greases and a good application of a water shedding grease on all internal surfaces and you'll have a longer lasting reel, if not for the performance gains, but the ability to shed water and stop dissimilar anodic corrosion.

Have the bearings flushed of the sneeze of OE grease they use and get them properly greased and oiled with a corrosion mitigating oil etc - small things.

I keep harping on about it but as a honest to God statement and after seeing how bad this Antares DC MD is (in my desk) from saltwater use and water ingress and corrosion because it was drier than a you know what, it's pretty trashed and in need of a lot of love and a new frame / spool etc in very short time, but and at a very big cost...

You can't proof a reel against the affects of the saltwater environment and ingress - but you can insure it for the short term against the starting of corrosion untill it's looked at.

This is sound advice.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:22 am

I don't get why they couldn't make this reel salt ready for this price tag.