2020 Zillion 10

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2020 Zillion 10

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:37 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:17 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:48 am
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:35 pm
Slazmo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:17 pm
Magnesium alloy... Interesting...
very interesting copied this from google translate.

( High-precision machine cut Air metal housing Air metal (magnesium alloy) is adopted for the main housing, and the set plate is made of aluminum, so it is lightweight and highly rigid, suppressing blurring and distortion. Directly connected to improved rotation performance and hoisting performance)

But by the weight specs it doesn't suggest magnesium. should be well under 200 grams even closer to 180 grams. not the 215grams as listed.

Not a deal breaker though. The current Daiwa magnesium reels surprisingly do quite ok in the salt. I have been using my Steez SV TW for a few years now in salt water with no signs of corrosion. Even have a guide from Weipa send me his reels for servicing and they are mostly Steez SV TW or CT's and none have salt or corrosion issues.
They've already changed to aluminum alloy on the site. I guess the realized their mistake. I was about to ablow a gasket over them using a Tatula CT platform to make a Zillion then still use the same shape to then make a magnesium Tatula CT Zillion.
The zillion 1016SV used that shape before the tatula ct was released. They have added the alloy side and set plates and bumpers on top in this one , basically the same as they have done with the larger zillion 1520 HD and HLC1516
Yeah but to air metal it without so much as redesigning the platform would have been mindboggling.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:54 am

Plat has a vid on YouTube.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:55 pm

This one is beginning to show up in stock at least at one of the usual places.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:00 pm

I want that palm plate, but I need it in the color of the original Zillion TW SV. The protruding mag dial is it's only real wart that can't be easily remedied.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:25 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:00 pm
I want that palm plate, but I need it in the color of the original Zillion TW SV. The protruding mag dial is it's only real wart that can't be easily remedied.
I sanded the teeth on the mag dial and the ridge below it some but it didn't help enough. Sun gloves help a little but I don't want to wear them when it's cloudy. Not a fan of the t wing because it widens the front of the reel too much.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:53 am

joekaz wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:25 pm
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
I sanded the teeth on the mag dial and the ridge below it some but it didn't help enough. Sun gloves help a little but I don't want to wear them when it's cloudy. Not a fan of the t wing because it widens the front of the reel too much.
The front of the newer smaller TWing reels actually fit my hand nicely. Is the mag dial metal? I was going to sand on mine but I was afraid it was fancy plastic. If it is metal, then problem likely solved for me.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:04 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:53 am
joekaz wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
The front of the newer smaller TWing reels actually fit my hand nicely. Is the mag dial metal? I was going to sand on mine but I was afraid it was fancy plastic. If it is metal, then problem likely solved for me.
Its fancy plastic.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:18 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:04 am
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:53 am
joekaz wrote:
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Its fancy plastic.
Damn... I just wish the OG Zillion/TDZ dial fit, but I don't think they do. Pretty sure I tried that already.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:16 am

Yeah, I can't figure out why they didn't make the edges of the dial like the old TDZ mag dials were made. They put the sharp edge on the Steez, Alphas and Pixy reels, too. I never understood that.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:42 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:16 am
Yeah, I can't figure out why they didn't make the edges of the dial like the old TDZ mag dials were made. They put the sharp edge on the Steez, Alphas and Pixy reels, too. I never understood that.
Even the Alphas, Pixy and Steez are slightly rounded on the edge. The Zillion TWS has a textured sharp edge and I suspect this is because there is not a cutout to access the dial and only the very edge is exposed so it needs to be sharp in order to be turned.

Why there is no cutout is anyone's guess but I suspect it is because of the TWS and wide front.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:37 pm

Pretty sure this is a Daiwa Japan only reel.

Daiwa USA version will be coming later.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:20 am

Nothing unexpected with the 10. It casts for you. Of the SVs I've fished, maybe the most impossible for me to backlash when casting as hard as I can directly into wind. It still amazes me after all these years how easy it is to cast for distance directly into 15 mph wind. It does not feel 'torquy' to me even at 10-1. And...I would have missed that fish if I didn't have the 10 ratio...ha ha ha. When I first fished the 9.1, it did feel so. I wonder if I have just become accustomed to fishing high ratio. Came pretty dry out of the box; lubed before fishing. Super smooth. The old 9.1 could have benefited from the bumpers to keep some rash off. I like that touch on the new one. Brakes and spool perform identically to the standard sv tw over range of lure weights. Of course, the steez like side plate.

Report on my old 9.1, if someone is wondering. I got the 9.1 when it first came out and it was fished it hard; probably 300+ days/year. It feels like a coffee grinder working on some old beans. Sometimes locks up a bit, but nothing a few cranks can't fix. The clutch needs a new spring or something. I lock it into place with my thumb after casting. I broke the zero adjuster somehow, but I don't use it anyway. That's when I was still cranking on it out of habit like it was a mag Z. It's simply permanently loose; but does not affect me. Lost the original handle assembly on the water. Lost all three screws from the non-handle side plate. Those loses were replaced. Screws get loose on all reels over time, but it was uncanny how it happened on this one consistently. Obviously, I did not care for the reel as much as I should have. I also took it into salt indiscriminately when an occasion presented itself. I'm giving it to young man that likes to tinker and would like to revive it a bit.
Attachments
IMG_4265.jpg
IMG_4265.jpg (28.64 KiB) Viewed 7184 times
IMG_4274.jpg
IMG_4274.jpg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 7184 times

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:20 am
Nothing unexpected with the 10. It casts for you. Of the SVs I've fished, maybe the most impossible for me to backlash when casting as hard as I can directly into wind. It still amazes me after all these years how easy it is to cast for distance directly into 15 mph wind. It does not feel 'torquy' to me even at 10-1. And...I would have missed that fish if I didn't have the 10 ratio...ha ha ha. When I first fished the 9.1, it did feel so. I wonder if I have just become accustomed to fishing high ratio. Came pretty dry out of the box; lubed before fishing. Super smooth. The old 9.1 could have benefited from the bumpers to keep some rash off. I like that touch on the new one. Brakes and spool perform identically to the standard sv tw over range of lure weights. Of course, the steez like side plate.

Report on my old 9.1, if someone is wondering. I got the 9.1 when it first came out and it was fished it hard; probably 300+ days/year. It feels like a coffee grinder working on some old beans. Sometimes locks up a bit, but nothing a few cranks can't fix. The clutch needs a new spring or something. I lock it into place with my thumb after casting. I broke the zero adjuster somehow, but I don't use it anyway. That's when I was still cranking on it out of habit like it was a mag Z. It's simply permanently loose; but does not affect me. Lost the original handle assembly on the water. Lost all three screws from the non-handle side plate. Those loses were replaced. Screws get loose on all reels over time, but it was uncanny how it happened on this one consistently. Obviously, I did not care for the reel as much as I should have. I also took it into salt indiscriminately when an occasion presented itself. I'm giving it to young man that likes to tinker and would like to revive it a bit.
That was fast. You must have pulled the trigger the 1st day it hit JLS. So it doesn't feel choked off, or underwhelming on the cast... Unlike the SV103 kinda did? Can you post some closer shots of the engine and cast cap plates pretty please?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:

That was fast. You must have pulled the trigger the 1st day it hit JLS. So it doesn't feel choked off, or underwhelming on the cast... Unlike the SV103 kinda did? Can you post some closer shots of the engine and cast cap plates pretty please?
Yeah; JLS shipping is intense. I was waiting for the release; my 9.1 was a mainstay in my line up and I unfortunately killed that reel. It began to lock up more frequently and I just waited for the release instead of sending it off for repair. It had 99 problems, so I was not all that jazzed about trying to undo the harm I did. I’m waiting for some line and baits from a US source where I put in the order nearly a week prior to jls.

I skipped over the initial SVs (103, 105), so I can’t speak to that. But, I get ballpark distance similar to my other current sv reels (steez, morethan) based on reaching targets on the water without measurements. It’s possible that I could do better with a steez at lower weights. But, in general I haven’t felt choked with the zillion sv tw spool. I’ll try to get some better pics up.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:12 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:01 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:56 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:

Yeah; JLS shipping is intense. I was waiting for the release; my 9.1 was a mainstay in my line up and I unfortunately killed that reel. It began to lock up more frequently and I just waited for the release instead of sending it off for repair. It had 99 problems, so I was not all that jazzed about trying to undo the harm I did. I’m waiting for some line and baits from a US source where I put in the order nearly a week prior to jls.

I skipped over the initial SVs (103, 105), so I can’t speak to that. But, I get ballpark distance similar to my other current sv reels (steez, morethan) based on reaching targets on the water without measurements. It’s possible that I could do better with a steez at lower weights. But, in general I haven’t felt choked with the zillion sv tw spool. I’ll try to get some better pics up.
Haha. I'm always amazed at the speed in which I receive packages from JLS and Japan Angler. Do you have any intentions to try different spools in this reel? If I end up getting one, I'm gonna run it through the spool gauntlet for sure.