SV or DC Casting Jerks/Cranks Into Wind

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

SV or DC Casting Jerks/Cranks Into Wind

Post by reason162 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:49 am

I'm a middling caster, and I find casting baits like 110jr pointer78 and squarebills into the wind a challenge. Since I'm in a pedal drive kayak, most of the time I'm holding my position against the wind while casting into the wind...

Currently use a Tat100 and Curado K, I'm okay with distance except in the above scenario. I want to engage my thumb and brain less when repeatedly casting into the wind with these plugs, with the goal of increasing distance. Would you guys recommend the DC or SV platforms for this?

I use 20-30lb braid to 8-12lb floro leader for these applications if that makes any difference. I'm eyeballing that new Coastal SV, as I do a fair amount of saltwater fishing as well and that blue is titillating :) I still find the Curado K's refinement remarkable at that price point, but an almost 8oz reel doesn't really appeal to me for jerkbaiting all day.

Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: SV or DC Casting Jerks/Cranks Into Wind

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:57 pm

For those lighter 3/8 oz and under baits, I'd opt for an SV reel. If we were talking half ounce and up, you really can't go wrong with either.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:18 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:57 pm
For those lighter 3/8 oz and under baits, I'd opt for an SV reel. If we were talking half ounce and up, you really can't go wrong with either.
Yeah I throw the 1/2 -5/8oz baits too, but fewer issues there. I'm leaning towards the SV just due to its smaller profile and lighter weight. Thanks!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:12 pm

SV had always worked for me. A quick adjustment of the brake dial and thats all you need. You may still need to use your thumb a little, will give you a little more distance.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:22 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:12 pm
SV had always worked for me. A quick adjustment of the brake dial and thats all you need. You may still need to use your thumb a little, will give you a little more distance.
A little thumb is fine, thanks!

Are there some SV platforms more suitable for distance than others? I will probably never skip anything...just looking for more control in wind. The SV103 I had iirc was not much of a launcher...but I never used it for JB and CBs either.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:22 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

Are there some SV platforms more suitable for distance than others? I will probably never skip anything...just looking for more control in wind. The SV103 I had iirc was not much of a launcher...but I never used it for JB and CBs either.
I like the Zillion SV for distance and control. Not as restricted as the SV103 (either type) and gets a good amount of control

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:22 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:

For distance, I'd opt for the Steez SV TW. Even better with the 1012 spool. Better yet with a Zpi Nrc001-m. I also believe it's the better versatile option.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 pm
I like the Zillion SV for distance and control. Not as restricted as the SV103 (either type) and gets a good amount of control
Thanks buddy, Zillion SV is def an option. "Restricted" is a good descriptor of what my SV103 felt like...despite that, it was a great reel. Now resting on the bottom of the ocean, my one and only kayak mishap :(

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:50 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:45 pm
For distance, I'd opt for the Steez SV TW. Even better with the 1012 spool. Better yet with a Zpi Nrc001-m. I also believe it's the better versatile option.
The coin adds up in those short sentences lol. Looking for that 250ish -300 budget...though you just reminded me of the endless spool options with Daiwa.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:52 am

reason162 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 am
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:37 pm
Thanks buddy, Zillion SV is def an option. "Restricted" is a good descriptor of what my SV103 felt like...despite that, it was a great reel. Now resting on the bottom of the ocean, my one and only kayak mishap :(
...sorry for your loss.

Different spools will change hiw the reel works. My SV103 has had a variety of spools. I really like a shallow SV1000 spool I modded for jigs and such. So much control and only a small amount of distance loss. Skips like a beast. The Zillion SV spool is a really good all around spool for it.