Steez TW gear swap

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez TW gear swap

Post by SPAZ » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:55 pm

I possibly want to purchase a new Steez for light to medium cranks but prefer the red or purple color over the gold. Is it possible to purchase a 7:1 or 8:1 and swap in a crazy cranker(Steez A) or 6:1 gears from the different TW models?

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez TW gear swap

Post by iabass8 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:54 pm

you can get gear sets from the TackleTrap stateside pretty easily. Just send them an email with what you're looking for. overseas, Plat is really good for parts.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:03 pm

In my experience, the Steez SV TW is a better choice for casting lighter baits than the Steez A. I recently installed 8:1 gears into a US Steez SV TW 7:1 to match up with the new Steez AGS 75MH/H Bottom Contact rod. I also have a Steez SV TW stock 6.3:1 trimmed in gold with 7:1 gears installed to match a rod I have with gold accents.

If you want to go between Steez A and Steez SV TW gears, you'd also need the pressure plate since Steez A has the clicking drag and Steez SV TW does not. We can do all of that on any Steez you'd want at The Tackle Trap, just let me know.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm

I most likely wanted to go from 7:1 or 8:1 down to the 6:1 in the TW platform. I think the 5:1 ratio might be too slow for me. But it sounds like what I am trying to do is possible. I will be in touch with Tackle Trap. Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:23 pm

SPAZ wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm
I most likely wanted to go from 7:1 or 8:1 down to the 6:1 in the TW platform. I think the 5:1 ratio might be too slow for me. But it sounds like what I am trying to do is possible. I will be in touch with Tackle Trap. Thanks
Anytime. No problem going down to 6.3:1 in the red or purple SV TW.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Would it not be easier to just buy the ratio you want and order the color plate you want to go with it??? I forget that the engine plate has color too, it would be a more difficult swap...

Just an idea, the 7.1 wouldn't be so bad for cranking itself. I used to use a 5-6 area for smaller cranks, but ended up using an SS/SV with Steez A spool in the 7 speed for light cranking. Best thing is that setup doubles as a great jerkbait setup too.