Slp g1 CT shallow spool in 2020

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Slp g1 CT shallow spool in 2020

Post by abbor » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:27 pm

I have problems understanding what value a shallow spool which is heavier than the original is bringing. If the weight had been the same the shallow would still have had more inertia since it has more mass further from the center.

If adding the same amount of line to the spools the original CT spool will have the least inertia, it will have a smaller diameter of the outer turns of the line giving a higher spool speed, but since Daiwa has introduced the Air with 28mm spool diameter this shouldn't be a disadvantage for lighter casting weights. I have around 45-50m of 0.20 mm Stroft GTM mono on my Steez CT SV and it casts very well down to 2.0g. If I want to cast lighter baits I have both Roro and Ray's spools.

Is the CT700S spool compatible with mono?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:44 pm

I have not tried mono yet, only FC, but why should it not be compatible.
All I can say is that is was a pleasure to use the 700S vs stock spool in the Millionaire with 3.5-7g (stream fishing).

You say 45m of 0.20mm mono - that means that the stock spool is “much” less than half full?
According to the Daiwa website, the Steez Ct takes 110yards of 8lb line, which is usually 0.25mm.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:03 pm

abbor wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:27 pm
I have problems understanding what value a shallow spool which is heavier than the original is bringing. If the weight had been the same the shallow would still have had more inertia since it has more mass further from the center.

If adding the same amount of line to the spools the original CT spool will have the least inertia, it will have a smaller diameter of the outer turns of the line giving a higher spool speed, but since Daiwa has introduced the Air with 28mm spool diameter this shouldn't be a disadvantage for lighter casting weights. I have around 45-50m of 0.20 mm Stroft GTM mono on my Steez CT SV and it casts very well down to 2.0g. If I want to cast lighter baits I have both Roro and Ray's spools.

Is the CT700S spool compatible with mono?
I have the millionaire stock spool a new shot. Removed braid (almost full) and put on FC to the half way mark. Used the same rod. 4.5-7 gram spinners and spoons and the reel performed much better than when full with braid. I still find that the shallow spool cast better/longer with light lures, but it is close. Cheers M

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:30 pm

45m was just a guesstimate, I've not measured. I can see two of the rings showing how much line is filled, it's almost flush with the inner of the two rings I can see. The reel gets much better with light baits when having only a limited amount of line.

The reason why I asked if the spool is compatible with mono because a lot of Daiwa spools are only recommended for FC and multifilament.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:45 pm

When comparing the spools you should try the exact same amount of line on both. Then the spools are the only difference.

Since I bought my first reel with SV spool I've always had half full spool or less. I prefer 0.20 or 0.18mm mono for most of my fishing with small JDM baitcasters. I'm typically casting 2-12g, most of the time 8g and less so I get much better performance with less line.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:28 pm

abbor wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:45 pm
When comparing the spools you should try the exact same amount of line on both. Then the spools are the only difference.

Since I bought my first reel with SV spool I've always had half full spool or less. I prefer 0.20 or 0.18mm mono for most of my fishing with small JDM baitcasters. I'm typically casting 2-12g, most of the time 8g and less so I get much better performance with less line.
I have only just begun with “half full” on some of my spools within the last couple of years and agree that performance improves a lot for many reels/spools. I should have gone “half full” earlier with my CTs. Thank you for nudging me.
I mostly use 3.5 to 7 gram lures for sea-run brown trout, which can get bigger than 10kg in some of the streams that I fish.
I use braid on many reels due to high breaking strength and no line memory. I really like mono and stretch for trout but need breaking strength in case I hook a big one (prefer using 0.25-0.30mm). Only started using FC last year and it has been great. Sunline sniper, Hi-seas FC, Seaguar Invizx and Tatsu have been good to me.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:06 pm

I've been struggling with multifilament both for seatrout and brown trout, I feel they are more over the water than under the surface during the fighting. I only use a short FC leader outside the top ring since I get backlashes if trying to get a knot trough the rings during the cast.

Must be really fun to catch large trouts using such light gear. When I fish for 10kg brown trouts it's in a huge rapid river so I use an UT Reel tuned Ambassadeur 6500 CS Mag with 0.45 mono, typically casting 15-30g. Up in the mountains where I use the JDM baitcasters I don't expect to catch anything above 1.5kg.

For seatrout in the sea I use UT Reel tuned Ambassadeur 2500C reels with 0.15 or 0.18mm Power Pro and a 10' rod with deep action to calm down the fish during the fight.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:55 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:28 pm
abbor wrote:

I have only just begun with “half full” on some of my spools within the last couple of years and agree that performance improves a lot for many reels/spools. I should have gone “half full” earlier with my CTs. Thank you for nudging me.
I mostly use 3.5 to 7 gram lures for sea-run brown trout, which can get bigger than 10kg in some of the streams that I fish.
I use braid on many reels due to high breaking strength and no line memory. I really like mono and stretch for trout but need breaking strength in case I hook a big one (prefer using 0.25-0.30mm). Only started using FC last year and it has been great. Sunline sniper, Hi-seas FC, Seaguar Invizx and Tatsu have been good to me.
That 'only-half-of-spool' works good on sv spools in light use. Spools momentum of inertia is much less than in full spool, and therefore it starts more easily. And in similar cast spool rotates faster than with full spool because line stack is thinner. Both, low momentum of inertia and faster rotation of spool makes it easier to control by sv brake in light use.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Pastrmka wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:19 am
Anybody knows if you can you order Steez CT through SLPW semi order system?, I though they were going to do it but I don't see it being available anywhere and their website only has option for original steez sv tw semi-order.
I recently saw on Instagram that slp has added the streez ct to their semi-order system. So should be available, at least soon. There was a photo of one with a handle similar to the air, but in red.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:05 am

abbor wrote:

Indeed you do, but also you loose a lot of inches per turn.
When fishing fast waters, that may be something important to consider.
Weighing all factor in, the shallow spools becomes a better or worse choice depending on the application.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:12 pm

How does this shallow spool perform against various Air spools - Alphas Air, T3 Air, SS SV Air, etc... Alphas Air and SV Limited spools hold more line. As much as I love spool swapping, this is getting a little tiresome. As for the stock CT 70 spools, how do they perform against the Alphas Air and SV Limited? I haven't purchased a 70 yet. I like my 34s for power finesse, and swap between the Zpi Nrc001-m, and the G1 1012SV. I don't go true finesse often, but a comparison between the Alphas or Steez CT, against the SV Limited could definitely help me out.