Basszone handle knobs

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Basszone handle knobs

Post by iabass8 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:19 pm

Does anybody know of any way to make these knobs work with a standard daiwa handle? I put different knobs on the basszone but want to use the knobs on another reel. The ID of the bearing used is the same but the OD is different and the height is just a hair taller. Using the bearings that came /w the knobs fit perfect. I've tried to shim these every which way and can't get them to spin freely.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Basszone handle knobs

Post by MardukFIN » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:15 pm

Noticed same problem. :evil: Had to use Hawgtech handle then.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Ha, glad I'm not the only one. I've tried removing the shields, shimming both sides of each bearing, using 2 bearings on top or bottom, shorter screws...can't get em to work unless I loosen the heck out of the screw.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:56 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:27 pm
Ha, glad I'm not the only one. I've tried removing the shields, shimming both sides of each bearing, using 2 bearings on top or bottom, shorter screws...can't get em to work unless I loosen the heck out of the screw.
I am not familiar with these knobs so this is a shot in the dark but maybe try those curved washers that can be found on some steez and zillion reels?

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:57 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:27 pm
I am not familiar with these knobs so this is a shot in the dark but maybe try those curved washers that can be found on some steez and zillion reels?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:58 pm

Make your own Taco washers by pressing a shim washer over a shaft of a thin screw driver.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:47 am

Slazmo wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:58 pm
Make your own Taco washers by pressing a shim washer over a shaft of a thin screw driver.
Where would I put them? I understand the concept but where would they go in the knobs?

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:13 am

Under the bearing closest to the handle, so bearing > washer > handle post

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:17 am

Put the bent side of the washer closest to the face of the bearing also, never the two up turned edges.

And you can use them in ways such as ") (" and to really space things out, if you do need to place the open side towards the bearing face use a thin shim to cover the bearing so that it'll allow the cupped washer proper seating.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:53 am

You could use a drop of blue lok tite to keep the screw in place once you get the play out of the knobs. Once dried it should keep the screw from backing out.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:54 pm

mrpao wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:53 am
You could use a drop of blue lok tite to keep the screw in place once you get the play out of the knobs. Once dried it should keep the screw from backing out.
X2, Pao is spot on. Make sure you give the thread locker time to cure and those screws should never move. A word of advice-use the purple thread lock, not the blue or red. Red is permanent, blue is medium and purple is light duty. I have had the knob posts break loose from the handle when trying to break loose the blue threadlock. I've also had the screw heads strip, so a snug-fitting screwdriver is of paramount importance.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:12 pm

mrpao wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:53 am
thought about that too but once i get the play out, the knobs dont want to spin like when you have too many shims under a bearing . once i back it out, there's play.