Diawa morethan pe tw, Bantam MGL questions

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
yellowcard129
Angler
Angler

Diawa morethan pe tw, Bantam MGL questions

Post by yellowcard129 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:27 am

Im buying a combo for very skinny water. Will be using moving baits buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, wakebaits etc. Accuracy is everything and im going with an extra short rod Loomis imx pro 6ft MH. I was just going to go with the Bantam since its one of the few high end shimano reels ive never used and ive heard good things but then I saw the diawa morethan. That reel looks too good. My question is how will these reels balance on such a short rod? What reel would you go with? IMO It's hard to beat a Metanium MGL but would like to try something different. The morethan is 7.2oz, 100mm handle, brass gears and if its as smooth as my steez sv tw, sounds legit. Is it worth the extra money over the Bantam? Steez A? thanks

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Diawa morethan pe tw, Bantam MGL questions

Post by Revofisher » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:38 am

honestly cant go wrong with either of those reels they are both excellent!! they are both pretty solid reels. Even though I find myself owning more shimanos im going to say the morethan would probably balance the rod you are using better. If the rod was a longer rod i would suggest the bantam but it being 6' i can only assume the morethan would feel a bit better on the rod. Also with the morethan you will get a few other spool options if you wanted to try some new spools in the reel.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Diawa morethan pe tw, Bantam MGL questions

Post by Houndfish » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:41 pm

I have a pair of old-model 723c rods that I use for kayak fishing and honestly any (reasonable) reel feels fine on them. I have used everything from a Pixy to an SV103 on mine and settled on a pair of Alphas sv105 reels for them. IMHO the Alphas reels cover the 1/4-3/4oz weight range very well are are the perfect match for a short 3-power.