Steez CT TWS and Antares 70

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Steez CT TWS and Antares 70

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:31 pm

I actually did do a search to see if anyone had asked for a comparison between the two reels before and I didnt find anything.
I'm looking for the pro's and con's of both aside from weight.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez CT TWS and Antares 70

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:36 pm

Additionally I'd like to know if you've used braid on the Antares 70
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:22 am

I don't have the Antares 70, but I do have a few Steez CT and that reel is amazing. It is ultra compact, ultra light weight, precision refined, and the performance is extremely impressive. I've fished a wide range of applications with Steez CT on numerous rods and aside from heavy line with long cast techniques, it is a favorite of mine. I have one on a Steez AGS 72MHRB with a prototype 12# FC and it is an absolute blast to fish treble moving baits with. I've recently been fishing one on the BLX 73ML throwing DT10's and I don't know if I've found a better combo for that bait which is another favorite of mine.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:36 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:22 am
I don't have the Antares 70, but I do have a few Steez CT and that reel is amazing. It is ultra compact, ultra light weight, precision refined, and the performance is extremely impressive. I've fished a wide range of applications with Steez CT on numerous rods and aside from heavy line with long cast techniques, it is a favorite of mine. I have one on a Steez AGS 72MHRB with a prototype 12# FC and it is an absolute blast to fish treble moving baits with. I've recently been fishing one on the BLX 73ML throwing DT10's and I don't know if I've found a better combo for that bait which is another favorite of mine.
Thanks for your feedback Gary.
When I read " It is ultra compact, ultra light weight, precision refined, and the performance is extremely impressive." I thought
you were describing the Antares . Ironically and unrelated I just called the Trap and left a message...Back to the Steez CT and Antares. The A-70 can probably be described as a formula 1 car disguised as a daily driver. While dialing it in I had all four breaks on and the CCC relatively taunt. My initial cast with 12floro and 4/0 gammy hook with a zoom super fluke made me think that I didnt have the CCC a tight as I thought but it was and it didnt even seem like I was retrieving the lure as much as it felt like magic in my hands..lol I've got to try the CT just on general purpose but thats later down the line.

One thing of note on the A-70 the drag does click as you may have read in the TT.com review.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:40 am

What rod(s) have you used with the A-70?

That would be an interesting side-by-side duel between these two reels.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:45 pm

scrapiron wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:40 am

I have it on a poison Adrena 6’11” med plus rod
I had a less time today but managed an hour casting and dialing it in
It can cast a weightless fluke further then I’ve ever seen with less effort.
The number one wrist flicker.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:24 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:45 pm
scrapiron wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:40 am

I have it on a poison Adrena 6’11” med plus rod
I had a less time today but managed an hour casting and dialing it in
It can cast a weightless fluke further then I’ve ever seen with less effort.
The number one wrist flicker.
I thought the same about the Steez CT. Effortlessly casts a variety of lures. Surprisingly fast yet controllable spool. Also casts really flat.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:39 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:24 pm
I thought the same about the Steez CT. Effortlessly casts a variety of lures. Surprisingly fast yet controllable spool. Also casts really flat.
Yes indeed, it's a special reel. I've added a couple more Steez CT since I first had the opportunity to fish one. I was shocked at the finesse capabilities right out of the box, but even more pleased with its overall performance for "normal" sized presentations.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 pm

For the Steez owners
Do you prefer it more for plastics or hardbaits or both?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:23 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:48 pm
For the Steez owners
Do you prefer it more for plastics or hardbaits or both?
I used mine in an "all-round" role. Mainly plastics but, I have thrown jerkbaits, topwaters, and small cranks on mine. That with my K2 714 was one of those combos I would bring it I could only bring one, like shore fishing and such. I use 10lb Sniper on it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing