Bone Stock Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bone Stock Reels

Post by goldrod » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:08 pm

Are there any reels that you own that you keep stock? Why?
Are there any that you own that you keep the stock parts because they are hard to find or that most people want the reel stock and the less stock parts you have only diminishes the price of the reel?

Which reels are more often than not preferred stock by potential buyers?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Bone Stock Reels

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:01 am

My Alphas Type F is stock except for carbontex drag washers and a 90mm 100M handle. The 5.8 gears are great for all but the huge cranks. That low ipt forces me to fish slower, so it also works great for cold-water jerkbaits.
As far as value goes, that's strictly up to the buyer. If they see added value in internal mods or colored parts, they will be more likely to buy it. Or conversely, if they see value in a stock reel that's somewhat rare, i.e., a mint TD-Ito, they might be less likely to buy one that has a swept star and handle, gear swap, etc.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:17 am

I have reels that I have kept stock for testing/comparison purposes. I may do some cosmetic changes on them, but nothing to enhance casting/retrieving performance. Right now I am doing a comparison of the Shimano SLX XT, Lews Tournament MB, and I have a Quantum Icon PT on the way. Most of my reel though have been tuned and modified in some way for performance or cosmetic reasons. I like to personalize my reels to my liking. Done that with everything my whole life. :lol:

If I do modify my reels, I keep the stock parts in the original box. As well as any extra parts I accumulate just in case of failure. I have my Shimano 50E that has been with me since I bought it in 09. I have all the parts to build another one if I want (including frame and sideplates). When I have a reel that I really like, I stock up on parts or find reels that are compatible for a good price to tear down and put away. I service reels too, so it helps for that as well.

I also have my display case that has a bunch of Shimanos that have never seen line, both US and JDM. I am always looking around, and sometimes come across some killer deals that I wont pass up. It becomes a sickness that is hard to suppress. ](*,)
<")))><{

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:57 am

Most modern reels are more easily kept stock than reels from the past. They have more drag pressure, usually decent bearings etc, linger handles so not much of a need to upgrade.

Collectible reels or rare reels are often more preferred in stock form and unmolested.

Any spinning reel of mine is also left in stock form.

Many of the classic Daiwa platforms are fun to upgrade. Not 100% out of necessity but because you can and there are many options for play parts from internal to external.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:47 pm

This might sound crazy for most of the members of this site, but...... all of my reels are stock. The only changes I really feel like I might want are Carbontex drag washers on my spinning reels. Other than that... I don't know what I'd want to change! The SLX XT could be smoother but I'm not going to try to put "lipstick on a pig" (a nice pig at that). The Bantams are excellent just as they are. The Stradic FK seems to have a heavy spool, heavier than the Ci4+ for sure, but I don't think I want to put a different spool on it. The Ci4+ spool looks ugly on it.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:59 pm

The reels that I intend to keep for years and years i.e Steez SVTW/A, SV103, alpahas variants, OG 50ths, etc I upgrade bearings, dress ups, handles, etc . Reels that Im trying and dont plan to keep stay stock.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:49 am

My Metanium DC is the only reel I've kept stock. It's the only Shimano I own as well. Not as many fun parts to deck it out like Daiwa anyways.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:54 am

When y'all get a brand new reel , do you open them up right away and give them a proper lube ? Or do you run them the way they come first ? I've always lubed them up right out of the box but , wondering what others do ?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:18 am

I always fish new/current production reels bone stock for quite a while before doing any tinkering. I like to have first hand knowledge of how it is going to perform in stock form for when questions arise. After some time, or having multiples of the same model, I'll begin to experiment with non-stock bearings, spools, or other aftermarket parts.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:41 am

I think its good to establish a base line in performance before modifying.
That why you have some way to determine if the modification are to the better or worse of the reel.
I have Two TDZ R+ and I won't change them ( swapped the original spool out for ZPI M and PG spools and ZPI bearing) other than the drag and spool. It one of those reels that in my mid if I were to sale it, the potential buy would have peace of mind that the reel has not been "stained".
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 pm

johnD wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:54 am
When y'all get a brand new reel , do you open them up right away and give them a proper lube ? Or do you run them the way they come first ? I've always lubed them up right out of the box but , wondering what others do ?
I tear mine down to the frame and lube them to my liking right from the get go along with lapping the metal drag washers to achieve the flattest surface possible. I could care less about aesthetics, I'm all about performance, drag being the top of the list for me. I can live with a tad bit of slop in a geartrain, that won't cause me to lose a fish (or sleep) but a stuttering or sticking drag will. That to me is unacceptable. My reels and rods are deep cleaned and lubed/waxed annually but that's it as far as the pampering goes, after the spa treatment they go to work. Everything I own has well earned bumps, bruises and battle scars.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:14 pm

uljersey wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 pm
I tear mine down to the frame and lube them to my liking right from the get go
I do the same, including greasing up the frames since some of my reels see saltwater duty.

What grease do you use on your gears? I've been putting shimano drag grease on everything, but I noticed on a couple of Tatulas they don't seem to last very long.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:45 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:14 pm
uljersey wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 pm
I tear mine down to the frame and lube them to my liking right from the get go
I do the same, including greasing up the frames since some of my reels see saltwater duty.

What grease do you use on your gears? I've been putting shimano drag grease on everything, but I noticed on a couple of Tatulas they don't seem to last very long.
I use Super Lube synthetic. Been using it for years, it has worked well for me.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:09 pm

The only reel I have stock is my Stella :big grin:

There is nothing I would change....

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:27 pm

My Shimano bfs reels are stock. Eventually Ill get an avail spool for by Aldebaran bfs but for use on bass lures the stock spool and spool is just fine.