Bone Stock Reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Bone Stock Reels

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:02 am

I fish pretty much every reel I buy stock. I do put longer handles with bearings on some of them.
I fished my Quantum Burner 7/1 reels stock, but I did change their aluminum drive gear to brass.
I bought two Quantum Vapor reels on Ebay for $80+- each. They are already light, at 6.7oz, and have brass main gears,11 ball bearings, and 90mm handles with 2 bearings per knob, so I doubt I'll need to change anything on them.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:56 am

Own lots of reels that are stock. Money is why. If I changed out parts, I would definitely keep the originals. Why? Frugal is one good reason.

Pinnacle Primmus were advertised as hand tuned. Probably means they were individually checked for proper lubing. Great performance out of the box. Have a stock Curado 51E and one tuned and with upgraded bearings. Don't see a difference in use. Will keep my other Curados and my Chronarchs stock.

Pretty much have all drags upgraded to Carbontex when I sent a reel out for cleaning.

Don't sell so don't care which reels are more often than not preferred stock by potential buyers.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:28 am

new2BC4bass wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:56 am
Own lots of reels that are stock. Money is why. If I changed out parts, I would definitely keep the originals. Why? Frugal is one good reason.

Pinnacle Primmus were advertised as hand tuned. Probably means they were individually checked for proper lubing. Great performance out of the box. Have a stock Curado 51E and one tuned and with upgraded bearings. Don't see a difference in use. Will keep my other Curados and my Chronarchs stock.

Pretty much have all drags upgraded to Carbontex when I sent a reel out for cleaning.

Don't sell so don't care which reels are more often than not preferred stock by potential buyers.

I love the 50E
But I did change the gears to a higher gear ratio
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:47 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:28 am
new2BC4bass wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:56 am

I love the 50E
But I did change the gears to a higher gear ratio
Me too. I have the 7.7s in there now, and its great for burning UV Speed Worms on light braid. I think I have like 3 sets of 6's, and 2 sets of Core 7's as well. I dont know why I have soo many dang 50E parts. ](*,) :lol:
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:27 am

Found another Golden Egg (left with green line) in a slightly soiled state and plan to use it as it is, a good ultrasonic clean and rebuild and she shall remain bog stock...

I planned for the last 8 months to find another regardless of its state to use - and just so happens that one turned up in an exceptional state, and I think doing anything to these visually is blasphemous [-o<
Attachments
IMG_20200108_222311.jpg
IMG_20200108_222311.jpg (33.68 KiB) Viewed 3187 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 am

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:27 am
Found another Golden Egg (left with green line) in a slightly soiled state and plan to use it as it is, a good ultrasonic clean and rebuild and she shall remain bog stock...

I planned for the last 8 months to find another regardless of its state to use - and just so happens that one turned up in an exceptional state, and I think doing anything to these visually is blasphemous [-o<
I used to have that reel.
It is solid and strong and cast amazing
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:17 am

I don't customize my reels. I do check the lube on new reels though. I find most of the time new casting reels benefit from adding some lube to the gears, and some light oil on the bearings, that's about it.