New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
GMAN
Angler
Angler
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by GMAN » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 am

Did I miss anything in the article where he states the official Shimano "70" size reel?

I can see a lot of people being upset about this.. wanting a 150 Met!!

Polymer worm gear, high bred break pipe, CI4 star drag... Shaving a few grams off to offset the brass gearing :)

User avatar
bwjay
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by bwjay » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 am

GMAN wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 am
Did I miss anything in the article where he states the official Shimano "70" size reel?

I can see a lot of people being upset about this.. wanting a 150 Met!!

Polymer worm gear, high bred break pipe, CI4 star drag... Shaving a few grams off to offset the brass gearing :)
Translated: "The line capacity is the same Shimano 70 spool of 12lb-100m." && "The MGL spool of 16 Metanium MGL is 22mm wide. On the other hand, the MGLⅢ spool of 20 metanium is 19mm, which is about 3mm difference. How is it different When asked, I can only say throw it, but in short, think that it is exactly the same spool as 19 Antares."

GMAN
Angler
Angler
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by GMAN » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:31 am

bwjay wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 am
GMAN wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 am
Did I miss anything in the article where he states the official Shimano "70" size reel?

I can see a lot of people being upset about this.. wanting a 150 Met!!

Polymer worm gear, high bred break pipe, CI4 star drag... Shaving a few grams off to offset the brass gearing :)
Translated: "The line capacity is the same Shimano 70 spool of 12lb-100m." && "The MGL spool of 16 Metanium MGL is 22mm wide. On the other hand, the MGLⅢ spool of 20 metanium is 19mm, which is about 3mm difference. How is it different When asked, I can only say throw it, but in short, think that it is exactly the same spool as 19 Antares."

I translated that also.. with all the information that we have available presently this reel is 70 size!

My question is will they offer any other sizes! So this is the "2020 Metanium 70"

I can see all the questions what happened to the 150 :shock:

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 874
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:39 pm

Pics have been released . Looks awesome and it has the mgl 3 Antares 70 spool.

Matttrix
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:02 pm

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by Matttrix » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:36 pm

vid of it...

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1760
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:31 am

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by toddmc » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Shimano finally learned from the aluminum gear debacle! :lol: I would love to know the number of extra gear sets that they had to produce.

dennis_rf
Angler
Angler
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:57 pm
Location: Germany

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by dennis_rf » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:55 pm

GMAN wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:31 am
bwjay wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 am
GMAN wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:18 am
Did I miss anything in the article where he states the official Shimano "70" size reel?

I can see a lot of people being upset about this.. wanting a 150 Met!!

Polymer worm gear, high bred break pipe, CI4 star drag... Shaving a few grams off to offset the brass gearing :)
Translated: "The line capacity is the same Shimano 70 spool of 12lb-100m." && "The MGL spool of 16 Metanium MGL is 22mm wide. On the other hand, the MGLⅢ spool of 20 metanium is 19mm, which is about 3mm difference. How is it different When asked, I can only say throw it, but in short, think that it is exactly the same spool as 19 Antares."

I translated that also.. with all the information that we have available presently this reel is 70 size!

My question is will they offer any other sizes! So this is the "2020 Metanium 70"

I can see all the questions what happened to the 150 :shock:
This picture looks like a even shallower spool than the 70 so there might be a... 50? 30? Option

Image

User avatar
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 6029
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:19 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 am
I might be buying my first Shimano in a long time. :lol:
Yeah, it looks and sounds awfully good to pass up on. I'd like to see a DC version.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2381
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:30 pm

Will the new brass gears fit into the older Metanium?

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 591
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:43 am

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by mrpao » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:55 pm

From the picts, it looks like a cross between the bantam mgl and chronarch mgl.
I hope it palms better than the chronarch because I didn't like how that reel palms.
The bantam palms fine to me though.

User avatar
cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4208
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:12 pm

usdm will be deep spool version

Matttrix
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:02 pm

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by Matttrix » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:24 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Will the new brass gears fit into the older Metanium?
can get the brass micro sets as is for the Met via tackle trap...

User avatar
bwjay
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by bwjay » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:26 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:12 pm
usdm will be deep spool version
Got a source on that? I'd like to believe the US will get a deeper spool but I didn't see that on the KenshiKuroda page.

GMAN
Angler
Angler
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by GMAN » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:28 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:12 pm
usdm will be deep spool version
Well that's a new bit of info!! No size details on the USDM version ?
where did you dig that up?

GMAN
Angler
Angler
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by GMAN » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm

chreim20 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:13 am
When the Bantam came out, people complained that the line guide was too close to the spool, affecting casting distance. Looking at this new Metanium, looks like the line guide is much closer to the spool compared to the 16 Met MGL. Makes me wondering if this new Met will actually outperform our old Met mgls. Big praise for going to brass gears, but will it actually be an upgrade in performance? We'll see!
The width of the spool has been narrowed if the information translation is accurate... that would cut down the highest angles.  So hopefully this new Met is on par with the old one casting wise!

Post Reply