New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: New 2020 Shimano Metanium

Post by ss30378 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:52 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:51 am
fishes wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:59 am
Is it just me or does the 100 sized conquest look bigger than a regular 100 sized conquest?
I've noticed that Japanese tend to have small hands, so I think that's why all the reels look large in the videos. Even the Curado 70 looked huge in those Japanese videos when they were first introduced. Same way with the rods-they look like 8 footers in the videos.
Are you taking a dig at short people??? :D

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:44 pm

ss30378 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:52 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:51 am
fishes wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:59 am
Is it just me or does the 100 sized conquest look bigger than a regular 100 sized conquest?
I've noticed that Japanese tend to have small hands, so I think that's why all the reels look large in the videos. Even the Curado 70 looked huge in those Japanese videos when they were first introduced. Same way with the rods-they look like 8 footers in the videos.
Are you taking a dig at short people??? :D
Rofl! I'd be taking a dig at myself, if that was the case! :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:36 pm

Can't find the posts about it but some said that even with the drag backed off all the way the there was still considerable drag pressure on these reels. I just got on another one in from Japan today and it had the same issue. I break down my reels when I get them to add bearings where applicable and regrease the main gears. The driveshaft nut was on very tight. Once reassembled, I was able to back the drag off all the way to the point of no pressure. Maybe an overtightened driveshaft nut was causing some of these drag pressure issues.

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:21 pm

Mike son wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:36 pm
Can't find the posts about it but some said that even with the drag backed off all the way the there was still considerable drag pressure on these reels. I just got on another one in from Japan today and it had the same issue. I break down my reels when I get them to add bearings where applicable and regrease the main gears. The driveshaft nut was on very tight. Once reassembled, I was able to back the drag off all the way to the point of no pressure. Maybe an overtightened driveshaft nut was causing some of these drag pressure issues.
maybe you're looking for this? viewtopic.php?f=32&t=87132

any way i wouldn't worry about it dude, looks like it's by design. i now have two 18 bantam and one 20 metanium and
they're all doing the same thing when it comes down to the tight "drag pressure". the handle might be hard to turn even
after the drag is fully backed off but if you roll the spool with your finger or pull some line out then it's not that tight, shouldn't be more than a pound of pressure according to Dan.

by the way, if you are able to turn the handle with no pressure after reassembly, then you might want to re-check the star drag click plate to see if it's misaligned , i've seen this problem before on a new reel, the handle was loose out of the box and i knew there was something's wrong and sure enough the clicker plate was damaged. Just sayin.

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:27 am

Mike son wrote:
I had the same issue last year with my JDM 20 Metanium also. With the drag backed off all the way, the drag was still pretty tight. Casting was fine, but something definitely wasn't right. Concerned, I took off the handle side plate and inspected the internals. I did not find anything that seemed out of place, missing or broken. After reassembly, the reel feels right now. With the drag backed off, it is very light as I expect. Never did find the root cause, I'll just chalk it up to bad initial assembly of the reel.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:24 pm

tdm wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:21 pm
Mike son wrote:
maybe you're looking for this? viewtopic.php?f=32&t=87132

any way i wouldn't worry about it dude, looks like it's by design. i now have two 18 bantam and one 20 metanium and
they're all doing the same thing when it comes down to the tight "drag pressure". the handle might be hard to turn even
after the drag is fully backed off but if you roll the spool with your finger or pull some line out then it's not that tight, shouldn't be more than a pound of pressure according to Dan.

by the way, if you are able to turn the handle with no pressure after reassembly, then you might want to re-check the star drag click plate to see if it's misaligned , i've seen this problem before on a new reel, the handle was loose out of the box and i knew there was something's wrong and sure enough the clicker plate was damaged. Just sayin.
Ha ya that's it, perhaps mentioned elsewhere as well. Somehow never found that thread in the search ](*,) . Drag star seems fine at the moment. Waiting on a new drag star and handle to arrive late this week and then I'll give it a second check but operation seems normal.
Tony9 wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:27 am
.... After reassembly, the reel feels right now. With the drag backed off, it is very light as I expect...
This is where it is at now, similar to my other Shimanos.

Figured I'd chime in with my experience. I actually had to use a socket wrench for more torque to loosen that driveshaft nut vs the socket screwdriver I use normally.