Alphas sv105 vs Alphas ct sv

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Alphas sv105 vs Alphas ct sv

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:04 pm

I have a few alphas sv105's and I was just curious if there was a big performance difference between the two reels or enough of a difference to lay more for the ct.

Thanks

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Alphas sv105 vs Alphas ct sv

Post by iabass8 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm

I feel the CT is a smoother retrieving reel. SV105 itself was a very smooth reel but the CT just seems cleaner. The spool definitely starts up a heck of a lot quicker than the 105, too. I like both reels for different things personally.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:25 pm

Your going to get a little more finesse capability. You would be better off putting one of your cosugi works spools in one of your sv105 reels and save your self the money. You already have a pixy and a alphas air stream custom for the light stuff.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:35 pm

iabass8 wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:13 pm
I feel the CT is a smoother retrieving reel. SV105 itself was a very smooth reel but the CT just seems cleaner. The spool definitely starts up a heck of a lot quicker than the 105, too. I like both reels for different things personally.
Thanks. I think I just like the look of the CT better.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:44 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:25 pm
Your going to get a little more finesse capability. You would be better off putting one of your cosugi works spools in one of your sv105 reels and save your self the money. You already have a pixy and a alphas air stream custom for the light stuff.
Definitely.

I didn't explain my reason but i was asking more for my brother. I showed him both (and let him check out my sv105). He can have/use one of my spools if needed, of he decides to go with the sv105. He is using going to put it on a dobyns champion dx702 hp and I think the ct would look good on it, he also wants to keep the reel as cheap as possible so if the performance is close of steer him towards the sv105.

(I picked up another bnib alphas sv. So I told him he could take that, my alphas finesse custom, and my pixy and see if he likes any of those. Then he could swap spools if he wants/needs. He is looking to throw 3/16 - 3/8 or around 1/4 total weight most of the time)

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:53 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:44 pm
spencerinstl wrote:
Definitely.

I didn't explain my reason but i was asking more for my brother. I showed him both (and let him check out my sv105). He can have/use one of my spools if needed, of he decides to go with the sv105. He is using going to put it on a dobyns champion dx702 hp and I think the ct would look good on it, he also wants to keep the reel as cheap as possible so if the performance is close of steer him towards the sv105.

(I picked up another bnib alphas sv. So I told him he could take that, my alphas finesse custom, and my pixy and see if he likes any of those. Then he could swap spools if he wants/needs. He is looking to throw 3/16 - 3/8 or around 1/4 total weight most of the time)
The finesse custom should work well especially if upgrading the spool bearings.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:55 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:53 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
Definitely.

With the stock spool?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:05 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:55 pm
spencerinstl wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
Definitely.

With the stock spool?
The alphas finesse custom spool is decent. The sv spool is more user friendly. Not as finesse as the pixy though. Yes, the alphas ct would look good on the dobyns dx rod and be more finesse than the sv.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:09 pm

spencerinstl wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:05 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:55 pm
spencerinstl wrote:
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
spencerinstl wrote:
Definitely.

With the stock spool?
The alphas finesse custom spool is decent. The sv spool is more user friendly. Not as finesse as the pixy though. Yes, the alphas ct would look good on the dobyns dx rod and be more finesse than the sv.
Awesome. Thanks for breaking it down for me.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:17 pm

The ct spool is faster than the sv105, and I also get a touch more distance with the ct as well. The biggest advantage you will notice with the ct over the sv105 is short range pitching and accuracy. The ct startup is so quick that you get ultra flat trajectory on pitches and short range casts. Once you get used to it it makes for some big time fun getting up under trees and docks.