Steez SV 8.1:1

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Post Reply
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:14 pm

Anyone feel like this reel is lacking power on the retrieval of baits
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:51 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:14 pm
Anyone feel like this reel is lacking power on the retrieval of baits
Of course it does. It is 8.1:1. Anything that has high-resistance is going to feel sluggish using that reel.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by goldrod » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:09 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:51 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:14 pm
Anyone feel like this reel is lacking power on the retrieval of baits
Of course it does. It is 8.1:1. Anything that has high-resistance is going to feel sluggish using that reel.

So I was thinking. ( it’s about to get bangcock dangerous)
I’m not sure of what the fulcrum is to balance speed and power but
I was looking at this sv reel without the Sv spool and trying to get it
To retrieve s/b without it feeling laboriously strained. Any aftermarket part ideas or Tim, is there some magic dust and still keep the same IPT?
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:56 pm

That reel has the hybrid brass/aluminum main gear circ. Maybe replace those with solid brass gears in the same speed. But that wont change the amount of torque, as that is a constant based on the math. The diameter of the main gear and gear ratio play a part in that equation, but torque is inversely proportional to speed. As speed (gear ratio) increases, the torque decreases, unfortunately.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

User avatar
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4184
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:47 pm
Location: In the "Heart of Dixie"

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:45 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:56 pm
That reel has the hybrid brass/aluminum main gear circ. Maybe replace those with solid brass gears in the same speed. But that wont change the amount of torque, as that is a constant based on the math. The diameter of the main gear and gear ratio play a part in that equation, but torque is inversely proportional to speed. As speed (gear ratio) increases, the torque decreases, unfortunately.
Torque is measured; Power is calculated

HP = Torque x RPM ÷ 5252

TORQUE = HP x 5252 ÷ RPM

I had a short gig doing inside sales for a ball bearing and power transmission company. And that concludes the tour of my memory on the subject.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1236
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Donkin, Nova Scotia

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:34 am

You could put a longer handle on it but then you have to crank a bigger circle for the same amount of IPT.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:30 am

Correct, the required amount of force is greater when increased speed or RPM are needed. In this case, the RPM are variable, depending on how fast you retrieve. That formula would yield a "freeze-frame of a movie", if you will. That's why it tires you out to reel a high-resistance lure with a high-gear reel. If the main gear was twice the size, you would effectively do half of the work to retrieve the same amount of line. That's why the reel gear boxes have gotten larger over time, to accommodate a larger main gear, in order to make high-speed reels feasible to begin with.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:11 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:30 am
Correct, the required amount of force is greater when increased speed or RPM are needed. In this case, the RPM are variable, depending on how fast you retrieve. That formula would yield a "freeze-frame of a movie", if you will. That's why it tires you out to reel a high-resistance lure with a high-gear reel. If the main gear was twice the size, you would effectively do half of the work to retrieve the same amount of line. That's why the reel gear boxes have gotten larger over time, to accommodate a larger main gear, in order to make high-speed reels feasible to begin with.
Thanks
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:06 pm

I looked this reel ipt up and it said 26 ipt
Yet the 7.9:1 ipt is 33.2
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5165
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:36 pm

goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:06 pm
I looked this reel ipt up and it said 26 ipt
Yet the 7.9:1 ipt is 33.2
The Steez 103H is 26 ipt. The 103XH is 34 ipt. The 103H is actually a great reel for resistance baits, up to the 6xd anyway.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 4041
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:30 pm

Re: Steez SV 8.1:1

Post by goldrod » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:33 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:36 pm
goldrod wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:06 pm
I looked this reel ipt up and it said 26 ipt
Yet the 7.9:1 ipt is 33.2
The Steez 103H is 26 ipt. The 103XH is 34 ipt. The 103H is actually a great reel for resistance baits, up to the 6xd anyway.
I was incorrect about the reel in question
Steez SV 103xs
Is the reel I was referring to. JDM Fishing has it listed as 26ipt which could be wrong. I guess that’s why I like the 5.7:1 TDZ and it’s 24ipt
Most 5.1:1 reels ipt is 21 and I find that rather slow and have been getting the 100M as they come up. I have the Steez SV 103xs and I didnt like the retrieve under load but maybe a longer handle would suffice.
Sometimes in life, you are the bug and sometimes your the windshield.
Instagram is @1ncetime

Post Reply