High Speed Reels 8:1 Plus?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
KDogg14
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

High Speed Reels 8:1 Plus?

Post by KDogg14 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:29 pm

I've been using a baitcaster since I was 13 years old. I'm 42 right now. I have definitely seen the improvements on the casting reel throughout the years. I have a couple of 7:1 reels which I like. The trend seems to be going higher and higher. I couldn't picture myself using an 8:1 ratio plus. I could always get away with a 6 something gear ratio for almost every thing I throw. The only exception would be a 5 ratio for deep diving crankbaits. The benefit I see with an 8:1 plus gear ratio would be throwing frogs. Am I missing out on not using a 8:1 plus ratio?

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: High Speed Reels 8:1 Plus?

Post by fishes » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:52 pm

I have a handful of reels that are 8:1 and soon will have one thats 9:1 (though its gonna be a steez air with a tiny spool so its not all that fast). The real benefit to me is saving time reeling my lure in to make another cast. I mostly use the higher ratios for bottom contact lures where Im casting at structure or in a very specific strike zone and once my lure is out of that zone I am able to quickly reel my lure in and make another cast. I do prefer reels in the 6:1 range for general use but theres definitely an advantage to higher ratios for bottom contact in my opinion

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:49 am

I find gear ratio itself an inaccurate stat. There are 8:1 reels that retrieve 36 inches per handle turn and 8:1 reels that retrieve 32 inches per turn. There are 7.4:1 reels that do 32 inches, but the new Speed Spool is a 7.5:1 and only does 28 inches... (But the Tranx 500 retrieves 43 inches per turn on a 6.6:1 - big reel!) So it all depends on the reel and how big the actual gears are.

I try to stay around the 28-30 inches per turn range for bottom contact (usually that means a 7.3:1 or so), 30-32 for frogs (can also be a 7.something:1). Lower gear ratios for regular cranks, spinnerbaits etc.

Biggest issue with a high gear ratio (8:1 or 9:1) is that they can lock up on you with big bass. Literally can't turn the handle anymore because there's so much pull from the other side.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:02 pm

I like to use fast gear ratios as much as possible. Other than my 4.9 Catalina and a 6.3 Tatula (BFS cranking), I use 7.1 and faster. For flipping, jigs and such I use at least 8.1.

I echo above where bringing you lure through "dead water" with a fast reel really adds up. Leads to many more casts through the day. It is also nice when a fish blows up on a frog and you need to blaze the lure back fir another cast or, you flip a new bait over to the spot.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:45 pm

Sometimes I’ll have two of the same rods but one reel with a higher ipt than the other.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible