Zillion TW HD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Zillion TW HD

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:06 am

I'm a big Zillion fan and currently still own several OG Zillions. I'm considering picking up the new Zillion TW HD in 8.1:1 for my jig rod but I can't find a lot of info or first hand experience with this reel. It seems like many have stayed away from this offering likely due to the deeper spool (which is my biggest hang up) and fixed inductor. Like I mentioned it will be going on my jig rod, which is 7'8" so the weight doesn't bother me at all. Most of my jig fishing is casting and not just close up pitching so casting performance matters to me as well and the stock spool does not look idea. Are there any other spool options out there that fit the current Zillion TW HD?

I have looked at other options and considered the JDM Steez A in 8.6:1 but I'm not a fan of the aluminum gears. This will be my most used setup so I like the idea of have the more solid Zillion platform and brass gearing. Anyone here own this reel and care to comment on what they use it for and how they like it?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Zillion TW HD

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:18 am

These are decent spool options:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000023 ... web201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297364 ... 416369ce27

You can probably get em off ebay also.

DaveJ

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:07 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:18 am
These are decent spool options:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000023 ... web201603_

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297364 ... 416369ce27

You can probably get em off ebay also.

DaveJ
Thanks. I'm liking the looks of those long cast spools. Looks like the RCS HLC is sold out everywhere, also pretty expensive.

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:14 am

ive got one

its a big reel, to big for me for jig fishing

i really like the elite p/f reel same handle but fits better in your hand, brass gears, or a coastal reel if you want more line capacity

i got it for swimbaits on 8ft rod

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 am

bbates3 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:14 am
ive got one

i really like the elite p/f reel same handle but fits better in your hand, brass gears, or a coastal reel if you want more line capacity

Just for reference I'm currently using a 2016 Zillion HLC and find it to be perfectly comfortable. I don't have huge hands but it seems comfortable for me.

I considered the Morethan PE TW but the price is tough to swallow. However, by the time I put a new spool in the Zillion the price is likely not too far off.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:34 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 am
bbates3 wrote:
ive got one

Just for reference I'm currently using a 2016 Zillion HLC and find it to be perfectly comfortable. I don't have huge hands but it seems comfortable for me.

I considered the Morethan PE TW but the price is tough to swallow. However, by the time I put a new spool in the Zillion the price is likely not too far off.
The Zil HD is heavier then the HLC, the 1520 spool in the HDis very well controlled, where the HLC will sometimes "fluff" at the apex of a long cast, the 1520 with the fixed inductor just keeps going very smoothly. Not too much of a distance difference.
Only had the tail end of the season to fish it, works well with 12in power worms with a 5/8 wt. MB Freestyle and 1-1/4 oz chatterbaits. I think it would be a bit heavy for flipping and pitching jigs. It is a very solid feeling reel, seems to made for the heavier baits.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am

TommyG wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:34 am
Craiger12 wrote:
bbates3 wrote:
ive got one

The Zil HD is heavier then the HLC, the 1520 spool in the HDis very well controlled, where the HLC will sometimes "fluff" at the apex of a long cast, the 1520 with the fixed inductor just keeps going very smoothly. Not too much of a distance difference.
Only had the tail end of the season to fish it, works well with 12in power worms with a 5/8 wt. MB Freestyle and 1-1/4 oz chatterbaits. I think it would be a bit heavy for flipping and pitching jigs. It is a very solid feeling reel, seems to made for the heavier baits.
Thanks for the input. I basically throw 1/2oz jigs plus trailer and 1/2oz chatterbaits (which I fish like a jig) exclusively. Do you think I will be able to cast these baits effectively? The reel will be paired with a Dobyns 784C HP.

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:02 pm

I've been using a JDM version for a while for heavy Jigs and ripping vertical presentations in deep water, I was hesitant to purchase because it seemed like a large reel but turned out pretty comfy after the mega foam handles were swapped out. I have the HLC spool and am not sure if it was really worth messing around with, the stock spool has good distance for me, especially with Fluoro line. Its a burly reel and I prefer to use it for deep water presentations where line capacity is required (Jig for Lake Trout). The 34mm reels such as Steez or the Zillion SV TW don't have enough capacity for that stuff and the HD is smaller than the 300 sized reels I used to use for that work. If you don't require the mega line capacity the Steez A will be a great reel, and the Zillion SV TW with a Mag Z spool is really nice too. That 1016 Zillion doesn't seem to garner enough attention, its a really nice reel.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:21 am

Craiger12 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am
TommyG wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:
bbates3 wrote:
ive got one

Thanks for the input. I basically throw 1/2oz jigs plus trailer and 1/2oz chatterbaits (which I fish like a jig) exclusively. Do you think I will be able to cast these baits effectively? The reel will be paired with a Dobyns 784C HP.
Not having used the reel for that weight range, I can't honestly say. I use it for the bigger baits, 1oz min. may be a bit of overkill for smaller baits. As an aside Hedgehog has the stock 1516 Zillion spools in stock. That new Morethan PE may be the ticket.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:59 am

TommyG wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:21 am
Craiger12 wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:59 am
TommyG wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:
bbates3 wrote:
ive got one

Not having used the reel for that weight range, I can't honestly say. I use it for the bigger baits, 1oz min. may be a bit of overkill for smaller baits. As an aside Hedgehog has the stock 1516 Zillion spools in stock. That new Morethan PE may be the ticket.
I have just about talked myself into the Morethan PE TW at this point. It has everything I'm looking for without compromise. Buy once, cry once right? Thanks for offering your first hand experience. It has been very helpful.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:19 am

Good that you found the info of value. Have had my eye on the Morethan, but just don't need another reel.
I have the previous version of the Morethan, great reel, the new one will have more spool option.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:55 pm

TommyG wrote:
Craiger12 wrote:
bbates3 wrote:
ive got one

HLC is lighter due to aluminum main gear and carbon handle. If using 1oz and higher lures the HD excels and is a better caster than the steez A for the heavier stuff. The standard magforce is well suited to heavy lures. HLC is tuned for streamlined lures that don't have much resistance and high speed casts.