Steez A TW - Worth it?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
sgsolberg
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Steez A TW - Worth it?

Post by sgsolberg » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:21 pm

I'm in need of a general purpose, multi-species freshwater reel. I've fished curado K and Tatula SV over the past few years, but I've found a Steez A TW locally, used and with some minor scratches. Cosmetic issues only. Seller is willing to offer a deal in the mid-200's on price... which sounds great and all...

... but the reviews here aren't necessarily glowing. I'm freshwater only, so I don't necessarily care about the mag-seal (one bearing at that anyway), and have other options like curado DC for just under 200.

My question is: for a general purpose reel, is the steez A TW actually worth the dough?

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez A TW - Worth it?

Post by 4g63power » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:04 am

Geat reels, just kind of ugly out of the box. Stock spool is okay, best for 1/2 oz and above range imo. Good thing is there's a plenty of spool options for upgrade.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:29 pm

It’s worth it if you want to also get an aftermarket spool. The stock one is overkill for most bass presentations. I have used a RCS sv1012 and a Zillion sv1016 spool in mine and both are great. The 1012 loaded with 40lb PP Super Slick is a pitching machine!

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Yes Yes Yes Yes and Yes
Steez A all the way. I have 3 of them and they are my most used reels. I have a Steez SV TW as well and its excellent and I have no issues using it in saltwater. its actually marketed as salt water ok and full of corrosion resistant bearings. just don't scratch the paint to bare metal and it will be fine. The paint on the Steez SV TW is actually better than the paint on the Steez A.
Steez A also takes all the RCS and SLP 1000 sized spools, The Zillion 1016 SV spool is excellent in the steez A, I also use a SLP G1 1012SV spool and its excellent for lighter applications. The 1016 G1 spool is the largest capacity of the 1016 spools.

Basseditor
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Basseditor » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:47 pm

I added ZPI spools and bearings to my Steez As. By far my favorite reels with that mod.

Now that ZPI spools will be hard to come by, I need to find another option. I just got a new Steez in and it’s calling for updates.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:12 am

The 1016 G1 spool is a great option for the Steez A. It's an excellent performer and not overly expensive either. They finally came back in stock at TT...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:00 pm

sgsolberg wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:21 pm
My question is: for a general purpose reel, is the steez A TW actually worth the dough?
Yes. Even if you do not plan on swapping spools, it’s worth it. I have several Tat SV’s and had a Curado K and my Steez A is a much better reel than either of those

Kurt L
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Kurt L » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:38 pm

I was a huge Metanium both 13 and MGL, I still like them but I don't use them like I used to since buying a Steez A, they are great reels.

Kurt

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:07 am

I sold all my baitcasters and kept 2 Steez A. That’s how confident I am in them. Yeah- I have a bunch of different spools for different scenarios....

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:40 am

Another metanium/shimano guy here. I have a zillion but never had high end Daiwa so was curious and picked up the Steez A to pair with my MB Destroyer FMJ. It's generally more target casting than distance casting, although the distance is fine and good. It seems to be less finicky than the metaniums and I like it a lot. I'd say it's worth the dough, especially at the price you mentioned. Pull the trigger already!!!

sgsolberg
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by sgsolberg » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:59 am

Thanks for the responses.

Steez A ended up selling while I was out of town a few weeks back. I ended up getting a bantam MGL for $200, and then found metanium MGL for 270. So I feel like I still ended up doing pretty well for myself.

Pairing the metanium with a 6'6" M-F st croix legend elite as my lighter/finesse setup and the bantam will pair with an older Fenwick Aetos 7'5" MH-XF.