STEEZING

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

STEEZING

Post by goldrod » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:16 am

Some people here may own every steez ever produced and Id like to draw from that well.
Of all the steez reel MODELs, which is the MOST sought after and which is the least?
What is the preferred gear ratio for high resistance baits that the reel won't strain under load?
Which model is notorious for having stronger than normal magnets and do the magnets ever weaken over the years?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: STEEZING

Post by bronzefly » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:40 pm

I've fished and own/owned a bunch of them. Out of the box, the new Steez CT is far and away my favorite. Yes, line capacity is lower than other US models, but I've done a lot with this reel since it came out and have added a few more, selling off some other reels to make more room. I love the SV TW as well and have a couple outfitted with ZPI spools and some upgraded parts. Steez A is a workhorse reel for me as well and I have a couple that I use for heavier duty stuff and higher resistance baits. The 6.3 Steez A has been a GREAT spinner bait, chatter bait reel, and I've done a lot of deep cranking with it without issue.

I've never known magnets to weaken over the lifespan of a reel. I'm not a physicist, but I'd be surprised if that was of any consequence. The most "coveted" from a collector stand point, for me would be the Megabass IS versions, yes a Megabass tuned/painted Steez of course. The least would be some of the JDM limited finesse oriented reels. Those just never really got me excited, though I know if it's a Steez, it's an excellent quality reel period.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Steez A crazy cranker for high resistance baits. its a 5.3:1 ratio.
The original models have weaker magnets than the T wing models .
you could add the red and black TN tamiki steez to the collectables sought after list
I don't think there is any model not sought after as there is those that dream about owning a steez but cant for various reasons and those that will get them at any cost.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:23 pm

I think that depends on the person, and what reel came up for sale at the time I was looking for each of mine. The last one I needed was my 100 SHL. I would have probably paid $300 +for the one I have now just because it was difficult for me to find a lefty in the 7.1 with the red accents as clean. Lucky for me I got a great deal on it. Most of these reels are older and not as desirable as they used to be 10-20 years ago to most because of the newer technology. I use all of mine because the perform great, balance well on my lighter rods, most use 34mm spools and it gives me the option to really dial in my setup for the technique I want to use. I think they are excellent palming easy to maintain and keep looking nice. I've never had an issue with any of the gears in mine on any technique or version. All are stock and original and looked great when I relubed them. The Limited models will always be the more sought after.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:41 pm

I took a different route to my Steez of choice, the Limited SV 105XH. When the first JDM Steez reels hit the market around 2006, I was able to get one to check out. I was a fan of the American market TD-Z series and also the TD 1Hi, so I thought the would be a natural for me. It actually wasn’t for me. I didn’t like how it felt in my hands. The body felt too light and plasticky, like a toy. I was very turned off by it and I went back to Abu Revos.
Fast forward 12 years and for someone on TT was raving about this special edition. The body styling and color was interesting, what the hey, it’s only money.
What a difference to me. The texture was a thing of beauty, it felt like a real reel! I don’t know what it was, but it had actual weight in hand. I bought 2 more. If I had the cash, I would have bought 2 more. I have a couple of 1516 TW Zillions for different applications but the SV 105XHs are a game changer.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:09 pm

The strongest magnets would be in the megabass IS reels based on gen 1 Steez.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:33 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:09 pm
What kinda margins are we talking? Percentage wise, compared to the OG....

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:52 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:33 pm
LowRange wrote:
Significantly stronger magnets. I put in an SS SV spool and it was uncastable. A gently flick of the spool produces full inductor extension. The SS SV spool in the SS SV isnt nearly this over braked as it is in my IS73.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:59 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:52 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:33 pm
LowRange wrote:
Significantly stronger magnets. I put in an SS SV spool and it was uncastable. A gently flick of the spool produces full inductor extension. The SS SV spool in the SS SV isnt nearly this over braked as it is in my IS73.
Good to know. What spools would you recommend? Not too fast, too slow.... Just right :big grin:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:50 am

I've got the mag cup from the IS73 in my SS SV along with a Ray's spool for BFS. Aside from that I cant really say what spool would work best with the IS73 magnets. Maybe a stock Steez type R spool. I heard those were super fast.