Abu Garcia Revo EXD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Abu Garcia Revo EXD

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:23 pm

Anyone have experiences with this reel yet?

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Abu Garcia Revo EXD

Post by dustlane » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:35 pm

I just bought one and I’m not impressed. Doesn’t cast any better than my old Quantum Icon. Maybe even worse due to the cheap magnetic brake system they used. Even with the shallow spool and 10lb Invisx you have to turn the brakes up to about 3/4 just to keep it from backlashing. And that affects the distance. I haven’t even taken it to the lake yet but I’m returning it tomorrow. I just expect more for $300.

FishingwithBranden
Angler
Angler

Post by FishingwithBranden » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:54 pm

dustlane wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:35 pm
I just bought one and I’m not impressed. Doesn’t cast any better than my old Quantum Icon. Maybe even worse due to the cheap magnetic brake system they used. Even with the shallow spool and 10lb Invisx you have to turn the brakes up to about 3/4 just to keep it from backlashing. And that affects the distance. I haven’t even taken it to the lake yet but I’m returning it tomorrow. I just expect more for $300.
I have no idea why they went to that shorty brake system. Started with the ALX now it’s running through the ranks.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:26 pm

Makes even less sense since the discontinued the alx and brought dual braking in for the al-f which replaced it
Yield not to misfortunes but advance against them

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:30 am

I had the ALX for about 3 hours. VERY tempermental brake system. Would backlash like crazy until you set it to say 7. Go to 8 and its super choked. Go to 6 and birds start laying eggs in it.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing