Steez Air vs Steez CT w/shallow spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Steez Air vs Steez CT w/shallow spool

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:40 pm

Thread for BFS fanatics to chat about the Steez Air and Steez CT w/ shallow spool

Is the Steez air smaller than the Steez CT?
YES. Main frame and sideplate is exactly the same dimensions as CT and have the same part number stamped inside. The more compact feel
comes from the Air gear cover as it is a few mm more narrow.

Can the Steez Air use the drag clicker from the Steez CT? NO. With the Air main gear being a few mm narrower than the CT, the Air cover w/ the CT clicking drag parts do not fit under the gear cover.

Can the Steez Air drag star adjustment have clicking sound? YES. All it takes to add clicking sound is drag holder and drag holder reef spring. The part adds 1.5 grams of weight.

Last edited by SAGISI CUST0MS on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Steez Air vs Steez CT w/shallow spool

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:44 pm

Steez CT 8.1:1 w/ KTF spool vs Steez Air 9.1:1 line retrieval.

Steez Air: 27-7/8” per handle turn

Steez Ct Ktf spool: 28-1/4” per handle turn

Although Air has faster gear ratio, the spool diameter plays a roll and makes the retrieve basically the same. Steez CT ktf spool 5/8” more per reel turn

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:48 pm

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:40 am

Glad you were able to speak on some of the technical side of things. I plan on doing a write up on the performace and such on here.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:00 pm

I was pretty blown away at how smooth my 6.3:1 steez ct is, can anyone comment on how smooth the steez air is relative to the steez ct?

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:09 pm

fishes wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:00 pm
I was pretty blown away at how smooth my 6.3:1 steez ct is, can anyone comment on how smooth the steez air is relative to the steez ct?
I have 2 Steez CT and both of them are so soo smooth. The Air is smooth but not as “airy” smooth as my CT. The Air feels more like Steez SV. I honestly have no clue why as both air/ct are so close in build. Only thing I can think of is the narrow main gear or the bigger tension cap bearing. Also the Steez Air manual does talk about noisy spool while casting is regular.

Last edited by SAGISI CUST0MS on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:18 pm

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:09 pm
fishes wrote:
I have 2 Steez CT and both of them are so soo smooth. The Air is smooth but not as “airy” smooth as my CT. The Air feels more like Steez SV. I honestly have no clue why as both air/ct are so close in build. Only thing I can think of is the narrow main gear or the bigger tension cap bearing. Also the Steez Air manual does talk about noisy spool while casting is regular.
Thats really interesting, is the spool really noisy? Like do you notice it ever cast?

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:34 pm

fishes wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:18 pm
SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:09 pm
fishes wrote:
Thats really interesting, is the spool really noisy? Like do you notice it ever cast?

It’s noticeable but it don’t really bother me. Say if I were to fish my Air all day I wouldn’t notice it much. But if I were to fish my Air and then fish my CT right after I can’t believe how smooth the CT is. Feels like I’m reeling Air (no pun intended)

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:43 pm

I used both.

Other than the internals being slightly different (idk of it matters), the ported shallow spool may not dampen sounds as well as the non-ported heavier spool of the CT. The amount of line would affect vibrations as well.

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:55 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:43 pm
I used both.

Other than the internals being slightly different (idk of it matters), the ported shallow spool may not dampen sounds as well as the non-ported heavier spool of the CT. The amount of line would affect vibrations as well.
It’s possible it could be the spool but I doubt it. I’ve used Stock spool, KTF spool and roro shallow spool in my CT and all smooth. I’m ordering a KTF spool for Air once it’s back in stock. Hoping that it makes the Air perform better then a CT w/ shallow spool. Let’s say the aftermarket Air spool makes Air out perform a CT w/ shallow spool... Still have no drag clicker :( Ive seen it done where guys are using Steez CT gears and gear cover paired w/ Steez Air body. If 28mm Air aftermarket spool transforms the Air into a unbelievable bfs reel I will do CT gear/cover plate mod to get the smoothness and drag clicker.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:40 am

SAGISI CUST0MS wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:49 pm
Very impressive results! I bought that Roro spools also before last christmas, but haven't tested it yet. :lol:

No need to buy Steez air then.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:26 am

MardukFIN wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:40 am
Very impressive results! I bought that Roro spools also before last christmas, but haven't tested it yet. :lol:

[/quote]

My personal opinion is if you have a CT, just get the Roro. If you are strictly going to buy a CT to put a Roro spool in it and ONLY use the Roro...I would lean toward the Steez AIR. Remember, you would have to purchase at least 1 BFS bearing for the CT too.

Both CT/Roro and AIR are pretty close. I hate to say it but, cosmetics may be the biggest factor (outside of availability).

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:26 am
MardukFIN wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:40 am

My personal opinion is if you have a CT, just get the Roro. If you are strictly going to buy a CT to put a Roro spool in it and ONLY use the Roro...I would lean toward the Steez AIR. Remember, you would have to purchase at least 1 BFS bearing for the CT too.

Both CT/Roro and AIR are pretty close. I hate to say it but, cosmetics may be the biggest factor (outside of availability).
[/quote]

It has already Hawgtech bearings, Roro spool and some other purple cosmetics.

Image :whistle:

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks for the comparison, it's as expected based on the specifications. I had already decided if buying another Steez it will be one more CT TW, not Air.

I have both the Roro and the Ray's spool for Steez CT TW. For casting 2.0g crankbaits I prefer the Ray's spool with moving inductor even if it's heavier than the Roro (7.9 vs 4.9g). I'm using the same type of line on both spools, 0.08mm Sufix Nanobraid. If the casting weight is less than 2.0g I prefer the Roro.