Old Reliable ...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Old Reliable ...

Post by uljersey » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:12 pm

My TD Advantage 153HSTA 'Supertuned'. It's been in my starting lineup going on 10 years now. I just got done it's annual teardown/clean/lube. It's a workhorse, still butter smooth and has never let me down. It's spent the last 4-5 years on a 7' 6" lipless crank rod and has caught me countless fish. It was knocked in it's day for being too big and uncomfortable to palm, I've never had an issue with it. It's built like a tank and has the reliability of one. I've retired many reels over the years but this one is special to me and I have no plans to shelve it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Old Reliable ...

Post by LowRange » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:00 pm

Big Alphas. Perfection.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:17 pm

Yup. Solid, never die, tank of a reel.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm

There is absolutely no reason to shelf that reel. It will still cast the heavier stuff as well as most reels. Those reels palm fine. My OG Zillion fleet still throws the heavier stuff that I fish as well as the newer reels. I don't see myself replacing them anytime soon. Yes, I have newer reels with lighter spools to handle the lighter baits, but I prefer the heavier stuff. I'd much rather have a well maintained older reel than something newer that isn't taken care of.