Ideas for new jig reel after tragic accident

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SapperTyler
Angler
Angler

Ideas for new jig reel after tragic accident

Post by SapperTyler » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:47 am

Ok so this past Friday I was out just fishing a local pond for a lil to kill some time and had 2 rods (Dobyns SSM733 with the new Tatula SV and a Dobyns 735 with a Tatula 150) laying next to the bank and some careless lady not only drove past my rods 2 times she ran them over with a lawnmower. I was yelling and running over to get my rods but before I could get there she had quickly turned around and ran em over. Needless to say it was a heartbreak to watch 2 of my favorite rod setups get shredded. Well I am chalking it up as a loss on my end cause I shouldn’t have had them there. So I’m lookin some thoughts on a good jig reel from either Daiwa or Shimano. There’s no limit to price, I’ve been thinkin either the new Metanium MGL or a Bantam MGL. Although I have always had my eye on the Steez and would love to see how it fishes. I’m not a diehard Daiwa fan and have owned some Shimano DC’s before. I will be fishing this reel with 15-20# fluorocarbon with any where from 3/8 oz to 3/4oz jigs casting, football and ball head style.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Ideas for new jig reel after tragic accident

Post by bronzefly » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 am

Sorry for your loss, what a story!

The Daiwa Steez A would be my choice for those applications. It's solid, casts those jigs really nice distances, is very comfortable in hand, and is extremely well built. TT has some good deals going on them now, shoot me a PM if I can help.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:37 am

I would also recommend the Steez A or step up and get the Morethan! I have both and prefer the Morethan. They are based on the same frame but the Morethan has a longer handle and way more comfortable knobs. The spool of the Steez A can hold more line though. So if you are planning to bomb cast your lures out there, the Steez A might be better in this regard.

I solved this by adding two Steez A spools for both of my two Morethans ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:18 pm

That's crazy and horrific. I agree with the others regarding the Steez A. The new Zillion 10 may be a good option as well.

FishingwithBranden
Angler
Angler

Post by FishingwithBranden » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:57 pm

I agree with the Steez A.