Alphas Airstream Custom or Steez CT for BFS

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dann003
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Alphas Airstream Custom or Steez CT for BFS

Post by dann003 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:46 am

Hi guys,

I am trying to build a BFS rod for lake/streams/etc. and heavily debating between the ASC and Steez CT (8.1 or 7.1). I want to do small lures (2-3 g) but also want the capability for lake fishing as well (need distance?). Thanks

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas Airstream Custom or Steez CT for BFS

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:18 pm

The ACS is going to be more of a one trick pony, compared to the Steez CT. I don't own one yet, but I've read it can handle those weights with the right rod.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:36 am

I own both. I really think you would need an aftermarket spool for either of those reels.

ASC - The fixed rotor is fine for casting light lures, but I wouldn't want that reel for BFS lake fishing (long casts or pitching). If you can source an airy red Pixy spool, then you would have the best of both worlds, with the two spools.

Steez CT - I love this reel, but I don't believe you would be happy with the 2 - 3 gram performance. Most likely, you'll want an aftermarket spool if you want to concentrate on BFS fishing.

If you're not planning on using heavy resistance lures, I would go with the Aldebaran XG BFS. With the stock spool, it can handle light lures very well and I've had no issues casting 1/4 to 1/2 oz jerkbaits with it.

dann003
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by dann003 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:31 pm

Thanks guys. It looks like the Alphas Air TW is going to be available so I will probably take the Airstream Custom out. So I guess my current debate would be between the Alphas Air TW or Steez CT with an aftermarket spool. If I went the route of Steez CT, should I go 8.1 or 7.1 gear ratio?

madlodger
Angler
Angler

Post by madlodger » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:55 pm

I'm not sure you will be delighted with the Steez CT for your needs. You will need a big investment.
For your conditions I use Daiva T3 Air or 16 Aldebaran BFS
These narrow-spooled aerial guys are not very designed for long casting and light baits from the start.
IMHO!

SAGISI CUST0MS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by SAGISI CUST0MS » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:44 pm

Steez CT w/ roro, Amo or ktf spool (depending on budget). Favorite BFS reel in my arsenal. Choose it over the Steez Air. I have both 6.3:1 and 8.1:1 reels and you can’t go wrong with either. They also have a 7.1:1 that just got released.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:00 am

Why comparing Alphas ASC to Steez CT, not to Alphas CT?

I have Alphas CT and Air BFS bearings in it and KTF and Roro spools to it. I use mainly KTF.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:26 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:00 am

I have Alphas CT and Air BFS bearings in it and KTF and Roro spools to it. I use mainly KTF.
I hope you're correct. If so, this reel is probably the best bang for the buck. Last night, I installed the KTF spool and added a Hedgehog AIR brg to the side plate. Now, I just have to wait for the Sunline 6lb Small Game PE to be delivered.

Here's a few of my recent purchases, including some yellow LED lights for my cars foglights.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:16 am

Schlag wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:26 am
jvelth74 wrote:

I hope you're correct. If so, this reel is probably the best bang for the buck. Last night, I installed the KTF spool and added a Hedgehog AIR brg to the side plate. Now, I just have to wait for the Sunline 6lb Small Game PE to be delivered.

Here's a few of my recent purchases, including some yellow LED lights for my cars foglights.
The Alphas CT w/ BFS spool is a great option for those who want to squeeze the bang for your buck to the max...only if you would use both spools. Can cover a lot of fishing with the stock CT spool and an aftermarket BFS spool.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:57 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:16 am
Schlag wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:26 am
jvelth74 wrote:

The Alphas CT w/ BFS spool is a great option for those who want to squeeze the bang for your buck to the max...only if you would use both spools. Can cover a lot of fishing with the stock CT spool and an aftermarket BFS spool.
I had this exact same thought. However, the retrieve rate is slower than I would like even in the 7.2:1 version. Are there any higher ratio gear sets available that are a direct swap?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:59 am

I love my 70 ct Alphas. I have tried 4 spools for it. First I naturally tried standard spool. There was issue with inductor, but I finally solved it by changing HLC spring to it and made it virtually fixed. Spooled only half of spool it made standard spool BFS capable. But for decent casting it needed to be thumbed - which is actually not that bad because sometimes it is nice to refresh memories from old times and classical Ambassadeurs... I also purchased Ray's inductors, but I never tried those because standard spool worked good with tuned standard inductor... And I also purchased real BFS spools.

Roro's is a little better in really light use than KTF but KTF feels so much finer. So I use KTF.

I have also purchased RCS spool to experience how standard 70 sized sv spool works. And it works indeed very good. I have used this spool just a little but it's clear that this is my favorite spool for light use for seatrout / crankbaits 1/2 Oz and below (like these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... ala+CDJ+11) This and KTF spools are the only one which sv brakes I have really liked. KTF actually has Kahen brake but in my opinion it's same as sv brake.

I like Alphas also for that reason it's saltwater fine (by changing Air bearings to standard).

Line in picture in Alphas is spooled un-evenly because yesterday I fished in sub zero and line was frozen when it was spooled...

I use thick line for BFS. Actually it's far from BFS. 0,12 mm Spiderwire Stealth Smooth 8, I think it's 24 lb. But in my fishing bushes are always close and I don't like to loose lures. (In Roro there is lighter braid for bottom jigging, it's 0,06 mm, I think it's 14 lb.)
Alphas and spools.JPG
Alphas and spools.JPG (69.91 KiB) Viewed 7893 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfrclLY ... gZ5KzNNeU5

Pastrmka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pastrmka » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:46 pm

I'm not seeing KTF spool for alphas/millionaire on Karil website anymore. Would steez CT KTF spool work in Alphas?, I thought they were tuned differently with additional inductor spacers in Alphas KTF spool.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:34 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:59 am
I love my 70 ct Alphas. I have tried 4 spools for it. First I naturally tried standard spool. There was issue with inductor, but I finally solved it by changing HLC spring to it and made it virtually fixed. Spooled only half of spool it made standard spool BFS capable. But for decent casting it needed to be thumbed - which is actually not that bad because sometimes it is nice to refresh memories from old times and classical Ambassadeurs... I also purchased Ray's inductors, but I never tried those because standard spool worked good with tuned standard inductor... And I also purchased real BFS spools.

Roro's is a little better in really light use than KTF but KTF feels so much finer. So I use KTF.

I have also purchased RCS spool to experience how standard 70 sized sv spool works. And it works indeed very good. I have used this spool just a little but it's clear that this is my favorite spool for light use for seatrout / crankbaits 1/2 Oz and below (like these: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... ala+CDJ+11) This and KTF spools are the only one which sv brakes I have really liked. KTF actually has Kahen brake but in my opinion it's same as sv brake.

I like Alphas also for that reason it's saltwater fine (by changing Air bearings to standard).

Line in picture in Alphas is spooled un-evenly because yesterday I fished in sub zero and line was frozen when it was spooled...

I use thick line for BFS. Actually it's far from BFS. 0,12 mm Spiderwire Stealth Smooth 8, I think it's 24 lb. But in my fishing bushes are always close and I don't like to loose lures. (In Roro there is lighter braid for bottom jigging, it's 0,06 mm, I think it's 14 lb.)

Alphas and spools.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfrclLY ... gZ5KzNNeU5
So just to clarify, you like the Slp Rcs spool the best? If so, how does it differ from the stock spool, other than the color? Is it lighter, or more ported? Line capacity is the same, correct?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:52 pm

Pastrmka wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:46 pm
I'm not seeing KTF spool for alphas/millionaire on Karil website anymore. Would steez CT KTF spool work in Alphas?, I thought they were tuned differently with additional inductor spacers in Alphas KTF spool.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that I bought Steez spool because everything seemed sold out immediately after they arrived and I was happy that something was available.. (Tried to check my old mails, but not found proof.)
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:34 pm
So just to clarify, you like the Slp Rcs spool the best? If so, how does it differ from the stock spool, other than the color? Is it lighter, or more ported? Line capacity is the same, correct?
Standard spool had typical fault; sticky inductor. Sometimes it didn't go out to magnetic field, and I got immediately birdnest. If it went to magnetic field, it stuck there and cast was about 10 feet. It was about 1 of 50 casts when inductor moved as should. I got bored to that and made moving inductor to fixed and after that standard spool was usable.

Only difference that I know is SLP RCS spool is 0.1 or 0.2 grams heavier (thicker paint?) than 70 Alphas Standard spool and different colour and texts. Luckily that arrived with working inductor. And yes, with full spool of Morethan 12 it's nice to cast lures of 5 g - 15 g.

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:17 pm

Pastrmka wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:46 pm
Yes,it's works on Alphas,no problem...